Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

H4 in California - SSN and Driving Licence

H4 in California - SSN and Driving Licence

Old Mar 29th 2012, 5:32 pm
Lots of questions to ask!

newlifeinparadise is just really nicenewlifeinparadise is just really nicenewlifeinparadise is just really nicenewlifeinparadise is just really nicenewlifeinparadise is just really nicenewlifeinparadise is just really nicenewlifeinparadise is just really nicenewlifeinparadise is just really nice
Question H4 in California - SSN and Driving Licence

Hi all

My apologies if this has been covered before. I've spent a lot of time reading and not found a confident conclusion.

I'll be on an H4 later this year and living in Cali. From what I've read, you need an SSN to get a local driving licence (I have a UK licence which is ok for the first 10 days apparently).

I've also read that people on an H4 cannot get an SSN but can get an ITIN (Individual Tax Identification Number).

Could you use the ITIN to get the driving licence? or just SSN?

I've read that in order to get a driving licence, the DMV will need to see a letter of denial from the SSN people. But in contradiction to this, I've read that you can get a special issue SSN that says "not valid for work" on it.

This is confusing! Does anyone have a confident answer on this including any official links? Many thanks.
Old Mar 29th 2012, 6:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: H4 in California - SSN and Driving Licence

I don't have the official links but I'm pretty sure you just tick a section on the form that says you are not eligible for a SSN. If you go along to a DMV office you can get a form to fill out and check that for sure.
Old Mar 29th 2012, 6:14 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I don't have the official links but I'm pretty sure you just tick a section on the form that says you are not eligible for a SSN. If you go along to a DMV office you can get a form to fill out and check that for sure.
Yes, you can just tick the box and provide proof of legal presence.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/dl/dl_info.htm#SSN
Old Mar 29th 2012, 6:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
Yes, you can just tick the box and provide proof of legal presence.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/dl/dl_info.htm#SSN
Old Mar 29th 2012, 6:42 pm

newlifeinparadise is just really nicenewlifeinparadise is just really nicenewlifeinparadise is just really nicenewlifeinparadise is just really nicenewlifeinparadise is just really nicenewlifeinparadise is just really nicenewlifeinparadise is just really nicenewlifeinparadise is just really nice

Thanks both - that was easy!
Old Mar 29th 2012, 11:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond repute

The above 2 posts are absolutely correct. I had no ssn and just went and ticked the box saying I wasn't elidgable. I wasn't even asked anything about it.
Old Mar 29th 2012, 11:43 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by newlifeinparadise

I've read that in order to get a driving licence, the DMV will need to see a letter of denial from the SSN people. But in contradiction to this, I've read that you can get a special issue SSN that says "not valid for work" on it.
The question has been answered, but to the above, if you're eligible for a SSN, you get one, if you aren't, you can't, simple as that.

The Not valid for work legend is just what it sounds like. People getting K1 finance visa for instance can come here, get a SSN, but unless they get a EAD, they aren't work authorised and the SSN card has the legend for that reason.
Old Mar 29th 2012, 11:56 pm

Question Re: H4 in California - SSN and Driving Licence

[/QUOTE] The Not valid for work legend is just what it sounds like. People getting K1 finance visa for instance can come here, get a SSN, but unless they get a EAD, they aren't work authorised and the SSN card has the legend for that reason.[/QUOTE]

Would someone on an H4 get an SSN with not valid for work? Or just not get an SSN at all?
Old Mar 29th 2012, 11:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

H4 does not get an SSN.
Old Mar 30th 2012, 1:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

In California, you just walk into the local DMV and take the written test. If you pass and already have a UK license, they should issue you a 90 day temporary license but sometimes they forget and issue you a drivers permit instead that requires a licensed California person in the car when you drive. If they issue you a permit, insist on the temporary license which allows you to drive unaccompanied.

After that, you make an appointment for your road test and when you pass that, you will get the permanent drivers license.
Old Mar 30th 2012, 2:25 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
In California, you just walk into the local DMV and take the written test. If you pass and already have a UK license, they should issue you a 90 day temporary license but sometimes they forget and issue you a drivers permit instead that requires a licensed California person in the car when you drive. If they issue you a permit, insist on the temporary license which allows you to drive unaccompanied.
It's a bit of a lottery really - the only thing that you can really depend on at the DMV is that the person that you are dealing with will not know what they are doing ...
Old Mar 30th 2012, 10:24 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
It's a bit of a lottery really - the only thing that you can really depend on at the DMV is that the person that you are dealing with will not know what they are doing ...