Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Homesickness "grass is greener" syndrome

Homesickness "grass is greener" syndrome

Old Aug 14th 2007, 4:29 pm
Account Closed

lanky spoken here is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Homesickness "grass is greener" syndrome

I have been in USA for 3 years now, and enjoy living in the US very much.

It took me a while to adjust to the different work ethic situation and a more relaxing way of life as opposed to a constant "making ends meet" in England.

I can sympathise with people arriving and after a few years becoming unhappy with life here, BUT you have to work at it. I take a yearly holiday with my USA wife to England, visit parents and friends and enjoy it , but at the same time, I am glad to get back on a plane to Texas.

Its so depressing to wake up to grey skies, council tax bills and having to make a choice whether to eat or pay bills, as I used to do in Lancashire.

We live modestly in USA, car & truck 4 acres and detached house paid for, with nice sunshine and very few bills.

England has just become too expensive these days, which saddens me, as summer in England is indeed glorious and wonderful, with days out and watching football or cricket.

Housing costs alone have prompted me to pen this letter, as 100,000 quid for a poky terraced in Lancashire, is quite ridiculous.

If I won the lottery, I'd move to the south coast, but failing that, I'm happy as a sandboy in the USA.
Old Aug 14th 2007, 5:02 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Homesickness "grass is greener" syndrome

Originally Posted by lanky spoken here
It took me a while to adjust to the different work ethic situation and a more relaxing way of life as opposed to a constant "making ends meet" in England.
More relaxing way of life ??
Presumably that's because you have more cash.
Old Aug 14th 2007, 5:14 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

We live modestly in USA, car & truck 4 acres and detached house paid for, with nice sunshine and very few bills.

what are you not paying for that everyone else is?
Old Aug 14th 2007, 5:16 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I can sympathise with people arriving and after a few years becoming unhappy with life here, BUT you have to work at it. I take a yearly holiday with my USA wife to England, visit parents and friends and enjoy it , but at the same time, I am glad to get back on a plane to Texas.

Its so depressing to wake up to grey skies, council tax bills and having to make a choice whether to eat or pay bills, as I used to do in Lancashire.

England has just become too expensive these days, which saddens me, as summer in England is indeed glorious and wonderful, with days out and watching football or cricket.

Housing costs alone have prompted me to pen this letter, as 100,000 quid for a poky terraced in Lancashire, is quite ridiculous.

If I won the lottery, I'd move to the south coast, but failing that, I'm happy as a sandboy in the USA.
You wouldn't get much for $200K in the NE. Our overall costs are much higher than they were in the UK.
Old Aug 14th 2007, 5:18 pm
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

I can agree with mostly everything you say, USA is cheaper but unfortunately so are the wages, I've been a pa and executive secretary for over 15 yrs and I can only earn about $12 an hour here, which may not be bad but I convert that to pounds and thats only 6-7 quid per hour!. I was earning more than that when I was 18, and after I paid after school day care it wouldn't leave me enough to cover the mortgage.
Mind you all of the above would be great if I wasn't on a H4 visa...
Old Aug 14th 2007, 5:19 pm
Account Closed

southern comfort is an unknown quantity at this point

Good for you.......but expect some negative replies
Old Aug 14th 2007, 5:22 pm
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
You wouldn't get much for $200K in the NE. Our overall costs are much higher than they were in the UK.
Wow really, in what way, sorry just curious as this seems surreal.

Mind you saying that, if I sat down and added up all the countless bills that seem to be arriving I think we'd be in the same boat..I think I'll add up all my bills for a normal month (not inc car repairs or maintenance) and see what I come up with..
Old Aug 14th 2007, 5:23 pm
Last orders please...

P.S. Glad to know your doing good and have found your perfect place..
Old Aug 14th 2007, 5:24 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
More relaxing way of life ??
Presumably that's because you have more cash.
you said it in a nutshell BDG.

btw i'm pleased you are enjoying rural texas lanky....
Old Aug 14th 2007, 5:25 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Our overall costs are much higher than they were in the UK.
same here.
Old Aug 14th 2007, 5:28 pm
Account Closed

I would think that depends on a lot of things ...area.....size of home....what one does for a living...etc
Old Aug 14th 2007, 5:30 pm
Account Closed

Does "rural" mean out in the countryside like in the UK ? must be lovely then
Old Aug 14th 2007, 5:32 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I envy you, but then you don't have to have worry about house payments, which is nice.

It's not because I dislike the place, but you can't get a place for less than $350K for a closet in this area, $650K+ for a proper home, taxes are stupid, and I'm more skint living here than back in blighty with more income, and we don't go out at all, or afford to have any holidays and the donkey of a car is on its last legs, and thats just the one. It's not like I'm on an entirely crap income either, well compared to others in my industry in the area its a bit featherly.

Old Aug 14th 2007, 5:33 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by southern comfort
I would think that depends on a lot of things ...area.....size of home....what one does for a living...etc
Husband had same job...a slightly larger house made of plastic and wood instead of brick.
Old Aug 14th 2007, 5:34 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by southern comfort
generally, but around here, you wouldn't find shit for less regardless of your social status, even the special low income reserved housing around here is $250K

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.