Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Holiday to New York, Memphis and New Orleans

Holiday to New York, Memphis and New Orleans

Old Nov 13th 2009, 3:20 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice
Default Holiday to New York, Memphis and New Orleans

We are flying to New York May 10. Staying 3 days then flying down to Memphis, staying 2 nights then driving down to New Orleans.
Provisionally booked, but i have my reservations about going to Memphis and New Orleans.
Are these two places a good place to visit (will be doing the Elvis tour) but with so many states we could visit, wasn't sure if these were worth while.

Any advice?
Old Nov 13th 2009, 3:25 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Holiday to New York, Memphis and New Orleans

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
We are flying to New York May 10. Staying 3 days then flying down to Memphis, staying 2 nights then driving down to New Orleans.
Provisionally booked, but i have my reservations about going to Memphis and New Orleans.
Are these two places a good place to visit (will be doing the Elvis tour) but with so many states we could visit, wasn't sure if these were worth while.

Any advice?
I've been to New Orleans, and Memphis twice. Found them both great with plenty to do both day and night. A couple of nights in each and I don't think you'll be bored.

However it depends on what sorts of things you like to do! What attracted you to these places? Where did you cross off your list before you arrived at your current decision?
Old Nov 13th 2009, 3:35 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by tonrob
I've been to New Orleans, and Memphis twice. Found them both great with plenty to do both day and night. A couple of nights in each and I don't think you'll be bored.

However it depends on what sorts of things you like to do! What attracted you to these places? Where did you cross off your list before you arrived at your current decision?
Never been to New York but my parents have and said it is fab for short stay. My mum has cancer and both my parents are coming with us. My mum wants to visit Memphis and my dad New Orleans...so we have all decided to go together and do all 3.
I have no idea why they want to go to these places but they are all on the same side so i guess it is easier to get to them. I fancied LA but completely opposite direction.
Just remembered..my mum mentioned Mardi or something to do with New Orleans.
Old Nov 13th 2009, 3:38 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Never been to New York but my parents have and said it is fab for short stay. My mum has cancer and both my parents are coming with us. My mum wants to visit Memphis and my dad New Orleans...so we have all decided to go together and do all 3.
I have no idea why they want to go to these places but they are all on the same side so i guess it is easier to get to them. I fancied LA but completely opposite direction.
Just remembered..my mum mentioned Mardi or something to do with New Orleans.
Do they like music? Blues, Jazz? How about BBQ and Cajun food? I think you're going to miss Mardi Gras, but that might be a good thing if you're going with your parents.
Old Nov 13th 2009, 3:41 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Do they like music? Blues, Jazz? How about BBQ and Cajun food? I think you're going to miss Mardi Gras, but that might be a good thing if you're going with your parents.
That's it..Mardi Gras.
Yes my parents love music/jazz etc,so maybe that's where New Orleans comes into it. So when is the Mardi?
OH loves abit of Elvis, i will be intrigued on the Elvis tour. As for New York, well i don't need to say any more

So basically, have we chosen good destinations? going to throw in a tour of Washington too.
Old Nov 13th 2009, 3:44 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

That's it..Mardi Gras.
Yes my parents love music/jazz etc,so maybe that's where New Orleans comes into it. So when is the Mardi?
OH loves abit of Elvis, i will be intrigued on the Elvis tour. As for New York, well i don't need to say any more

So basically, have we chosen good destinations? going to throw in a tour of Washington too.

Mardi Gras is mid Feb this year... I think. Yep, http://www.mardigrasneworleans.com/

There's a lot of music in both places, look up Beale St. in Memphis, Sun Records, and the Elvis stuff.
Old Nov 13th 2009, 3:45 pm
Unmitigated Gall

That's it..Mardi Gras.

Wait... Washington DC?
Old Nov 13th 2009, 3:48 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Wait... Washington DC?
Yes...why should i not go there
Old Nov 13th 2009, 3:49 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

That's it..Mardi Gras.

New Orleans is well expensive during Mardi Gras and many accommodations book up well ahead of time.

I've done the Graceland tour in Memphis twice. I'm not even an Elvis fan but I really enjoyed it - you get a little MP3 player to wear that explains everything as you walk round. It's all very well organized.
Old Nov 13th 2009, 3:50 pm
Septic Sprout

DC's fine. OK - it may be the murder capital of the world (or something) but if you stick to the touristy bits it's great.
Old Nov 13th 2009, 3:51 pm
Account Closed

New Orleans is well expensive during Mardi Gras and many accommodations book up well ahead of time.

I've done the Graceland tour in Memphis twice. I'm not even an Elvis fan but I really enjoyed it - you get a little MP3 player to wear that explains everything as you walk round. It's all very well organized.
I'm no Elvis fan either, but still would love to see the tour. Sounds fun anyway. Thanks for your advice.
Old Nov 13th 2009, 3:53 pm
Account Closed

DC's fine. OK - it may be the murder capital of the world (or something) but if you stick to the touristy bits it's great.
i'll take a chance and go.
Old Nov 13th 2009, 4:03 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

You'll have a good time in New Orleans. Lots of jazz even if it isn't Mardi Gras. I go there often with my DD and her family as live in Mississippi and I fly into NO. Lots of great tours of the French Quarter, great food, fantastic music. May is a lovely time down there. Not super hot but comfortable and everything will be in bloom. Still a lot of areas that haven't been rebuilt after Katrina but on the whole the city proper isn't bad and the French Quarter is fine. The Garden District is coming along nicely.

Have never been to Memphis but will be spending a day there in January as I am trying a new way to get to Mississippi. NY to Memphis to MS.
Old Nov 13th 2009, 4:05 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Don't have a clue. It may be the murder capital of the US but you won't be going where the murders are committed. You will be touring the city proper and eating and residing in the touristy areas.

If you let that bother you, then you won't come to New York City either or New Orleans for that matter.
Old Nov 13th 2009, 8:26 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

That's it..Mardi Gras.

Early May is good....too early for Hurricanes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.