Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Holiday to California

Holiday to California

Old Jul 6th 2014, 3:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Holiday to California

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I hear they are good, I really should try them.
I've eaten there maybe 2-3 times and each time I think "what's all the fuss about?" The burgers don't seem to be any better than anywhere else, I don't like the fries, and there's always a really greasy smell coming from the restaurants. But there's always a long line .

Anyway, back on topic, OP could also stop in Big Bear (about 15 twisty miles off I-15). Altitude of something like 7000ft but quite picturesque with wood cabins to rent and a lake on which you can hire a boat.
Old Jul 6th 2014, 3:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Ok thanks all- some plan changing advice there!

So strategy change, starting with 2 nights in San Francisco, then driving down the coastline on the correct side of the road is two nights/3 days enough to do the drive down to Los Angeles as we wanted to catch an LA Giants game whilst were there?

Thanks for all your help!

KC
Old Jul 6th 2014, 3:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeoffM
I've eaten there maybe 2-3 times and each time I think "what's all the fuss about?" The burgers don't seem to be any better than anywhere else, I don't like the fries, and there's always a really greasy smell coming from the restaurants. But there's always a long line .
I'm not a meat lover anyway so I'll probably pass.
Originally Posted by kittycat1

So strategy change, starting with 2 nights in San Francisco, then driving down the coastline on the correct side of the road is two nights/3 days enough to do the drive down to Los Angeles as we wanted to catch an LA Giants game whilst were there?

KC
Two days is fine to get down to LA.
Old Jul 6th 2014, 6:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Stop at San Simeon (Hearst Castle) on the way!

https://www.google.com/search?q=Hear...x-a&channel=sb

Once back home - after trip - watch Citizen Kane - (to complete that diversion)

Also (before that) be sure to stop to see Monterey - Cannery Row and terrific aquarium (your girls will be enchanted...you too!) and perhaps Carmel (tho it's more than a bit twee and precious)
You might want to consider taking the inland road (either the 5 or the 101 south to LA) after you've seen San Simeon (and you should definitely stop there IMO) - just in the interest of spending less time driving and having more time to actually explore on foot). Once you've seen the utterly amazing Big Sur coastline - you've seen the best of the best - the remainder of the drive south to LA - tho still spectacular - is no more so than what you've already seen.

However, if you do decide to stay on coast road all the way (and keep in mind - the actual mileage is VERY misleading - with it's hair-pin turns - the spectacular Rte.1 isn't a drive to be done quickly) then you should definitely stop in Santa Barbara.
It's a beautiful town. See the gorgeous courthouse building, the mission, the historic, well-preserved downtown - and you get a feel for colonial California (for better and for worse...I'm referring to the brutal repression of the indigenous people by the conquistadores (in the name of religion, of course)......so.....definitely a full 2 days - but better still, 3 (as you'd suggested)....

Last edited by MMcD; Jul 6th 2014 at 7:23 pm.
Old Jul 7th 2014, 1:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MMcD

Also (before that) be sure to stop to see Monterey - Cannery Row and terrific aquarium (your girls will be enchanted...you too!) and perhaps Carmel (tho it's more than a bit twee and precious)
You might want to consider taking the inland road (either the 5 or the 101 south to LA) after you've seen San Simeon (and you should definitely stop there IMO) - just in the interest of spending less time driving and having more time to actually explore on foot). Once you've seen the utterly amazing Big Sur coastline - you've seen the best of the best - the remainder of the drive south to LA - tho still spectacular - is no more so than what you've already seen.

However, if you do decide to stay on coast road all the way (and keep in mind - the actual mileage is VERY misleading - with it's hair-pin turns - the spectacular Rte.1 isn't a drive to be done quickly) then you should definitely stop in Santa Barbara.
It's a beautiful town. See the gorgeous courthouse building, the mission, the historic, well-preserved downtown - and you get a feel for colonial California (for better and for worse...I'm referring to the brutal repression of the indigenous people by the conquistadores (in the name of religion, of course)......so.....definitely a full 2 days - but better still, 3 (as you'd suggested)....
The Chumash were so different from the Hollywood portrayal of aggressive 'Indians'. Very sad.
Old Jul 7th 2014, 2:07 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MMcD

I got the feeling it was 4 adult 'girls' not that she was traveling with children

Big Sur is spectacular at sunset, if it can be times right
Old Jul 7th 2014, 5:27 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd skip LA and dip down from Death Valley to San Diego. But of course I am biased towards San Diego....
Old Jul 7th 2014, 3:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Nicky- you are correct, me and my girlfriends not kids! Although still kids at heart.

Thanks for all the info so far folks, it's incredibly helpful if not somewhat confusing- think we need another week!

Keep it coming

KC
Old Jul 7th 2014, 3:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth- we looked at San Diego but had decided to give it a miss - what is there that you would recommend?
Old Jul 7th 2014, 5:46 pm
Forum Regular

Psyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond repute

KC
If you're talking baseball, the Giants play in San Francisco. In LA its the Angels or the Dodgers. Late September, see who is doing well as it might be tough to get tickets otherwise. Giants have a great stadium near downtown SF.
Old Jul 7th 2014, 6:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Psyman
If you're talking baseball, the Giants play in San Francisco. In LA its the Angels or the Dodgers. Late September, see who is doing well as it might be tough to get tickets otherwise. Giants have a great stadium near downtown SF.
It's not just the SF stadium but there is a whole complex that has become a very desired area to live. Although that area was originally not a very good area, the developer decided to build an entire complex. Most stadiums are not in the best areas since usually an enormous parking lot is required (second picture is Dodger stadium) but you'll notice for the SF stadium, there is very little parking space.
Attached Thumbnails Holiday to California-driving.jpg   Holiday to California-dodger-stadium.jpg  

Last edited by Michael; Jul 7th 2014 at 6:48 pm.
Old Jul 7th 2014, 8:34 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Jsmth- we looked at San Diego but had decided to give it a miss - what is there that you would recommend?
I added links to another post to show a small sampling of what there is to do in San Diego.

I personally think San Diego has more to offer overall then Los Angeles does if your not looking to see the hollywood stuff in LA, and way less people, traffic and pollution.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jul 7th 2014 at 8:41 pm.
Old Jul 7th 2014, 8:39 pm
Old Jul 7th 2014, 8:47 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I added links to another post to show a small sampling of what there is to do in San Diego.

I personally think San Diego has more to offer overall then Los Angeles does if your not looking to see the hollywood stuff in LA, and way less people, traffic and pollution.
I love San Diego, but as 4 women (not a family vacation) I would say LA has more to offer them. Although I hated living in LA, I think it is a fantastic spot for a vacation.
Old Jul 7th 2014, 8:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by N1cky
I love San Diego, but as 4 women (not a family vacation) I would say LA has more to offer them. Although I hated living in LA, I think it is a fantastic spot for a vacation.
Agreed. Great for a vacation.

Wish someone had told me that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.