Reload this Page >

Hiring a car in the US

Hiring a car in the US

Old Oct 16th 2017, 10:52 am
Just Joined

stevesturdy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hiring a car in the US

Hi Guys,

Me and a friend are travelling to the USA next August and would like some information around hiring a car and whether we would be eligible.

When we visit, I’ll be 23 nearly 24 and will have been driving for 4 and a half years. I hold a full UK license, with a fully clean license. I’ve been to the US a number of times before (not sure if that makes any difference) and have driven last time I was in the US in my family friends car.

My other option would be to borrow my family friends car providing I’m on the insurance, but would they need to be in the car with me at all times?

I’ve read that most places won’t let you hire a car unless you’re 25, but I’m not sure if that’s true or false.

Thanks!
Old Oct 16th 2017, 11:49 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hiring a car in the US

Most places will let you hire before 25, just may charge an extra fee per day.
Old Oct 16th 2017, 1:36 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Depending on the State (these rules vary by state), you do not need to be named on the friend's family auto insurance policy to drive their vehicle. AFAIK, most, if not all, policies carry a provision for uninsured drivers. If my daughter visits, she can drive my vehicle without being named on it and if an accident occurs my insurance will still cover it.
Old Oct 16th 2017, 2:22 pm
i hate cabbage

Jack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond repute

Prepare to pay surcharges, hefty ones too.

I know Avis charge somewhere around $25-$30 plus tax per day on top of your base rental rate.

That said, look at all the age requirement policies of rental companies, they may differ.
Old Oct 16th 2017, 3:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

If you are just visiting, it used to be a lot cheaper to rent the car from the UK. There may be other age restrictions in the UK.
Old Oct 16th 2017, 5:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond repute

So the simple answer is yes, I've done this literally hundreds of times for work over the past couple years (and I'm 24) without a fee.

The long answer is it's not always that straight forward. Most rental companies will charge you a fee for being under 25 (or 23, in some cases) the best thing you can do to avoid that is to find a CDP (Basically a rate code) which waives the fee. Most large corporations have these and their pricing/structure may vary. You can also find them for organisations like AAA, which often removes the fee too. One thing I will add is you technically have to evidence that you represent that corporation to get the rate. Whilst I always had that evidence to hand, after a few hundred rentals with Hertz, I've never once been asked for it.
Old Oct 16th 2017, 6:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheKingOfHearts
... the best thing you can do to avoid that is to find a CDP (Basically a rate code) which waives the fee. Most large corporations have these and their pricing/structure may vary. You can also find them for organisations like AAA, which often removes the fee too. One thing I will add is you technically have to evidence that you represent that corporation to get the rate. Whilst I always had that evidence to hand, after a few hundred rentals with Hertz, I've never once been asked for it.
To the OP don't do this unless it is 100% genuine. The last thing you need is a denied insurance claim due to misrepresentation.
Old Oct 16th 2017, 7:11 pm
Forum Regular

Mercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
To the OP don't do this unless it is 100% genuine. The last thing you need is a denied insurance claim due to misrepresentation.
-
+100 to that. If you dont actually work or belong to the corporation or organization for which the rate code belongs to then if you have to make a claim they will discover that fact and void the insurance leaving you footing the entire bill.
Old Oct 16th 2017, 10:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond repute

In hindsight I should've mentioned to use only those that have family and friend usage, of which many do. AAA as cited doesn't require membership either. For example our corporate rate is applicable for "family & friends" and removes the underage fee. I'd post our code if I could find it, work always books it on my behalf.
Old Oct 17th 2017, 2:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Buying the CDW insurance is probably going to be higher for under 25.

Why are you wanting to book in the States and not in the UK?