Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Hi - I'm new to this forum

Hi - I'm new to this forum

Old Aug 28th 2014, 6:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi - I'm new to this forum

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Wrong. Merchants can and will refuse an unsigned card because it is not valid unless signed.
Which is what I told her. Maybe it's a Florida thing, she did say that it was a recommendation circulating some while back. I did argue it for a while but it doesn't change the fact that people do. I suppose the thinking is that if some toerag obtains your card and signs it with their name you could believe that the card company will be able to inspect the original receipt, etc, etc.(knowing CC companies they'll tell you to take a walk because it should have had your name on it!)

All I could find on the net was this:

To sign or not to sign? (Page 1 of 2)

In truth, there is a large segment of the card-carrying public that simply refuses to sign their cards, believing it helps protect them from fraud if their cards are lost or stolen.
Old Aug 28th 2014, 9:35 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zzrmark
One teeny weenie tip (which I was rather surprised at) came from my USC wife recently.
Apparently people are encouraged not to sign the backs of their credit cards but rely upon using their driving licences as signature confirmation - apparently it helps keep card fraud down (probably by only a teeny weenie bit as no-one seems to check signatures anyway!!!).
Terrible thing to do, also means you forfeit any credit protection you get from using a credit card from Visa/Mastercard.
Old Aug 28th 2014, 10:58 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
I think you should shop around for insurance. I've had problems with State Farm pricing before wanting to charge substantially more than what others charged.
+1
I was paying way too much with state farm.
Old Aug 28th 2014, 11:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Uncle_Bob
+1
I was paying way too much with state farm.
You have to play the game properly and switch every now and then to get the "switching discounts" (not mention all the other discounts). We've moved all ours from state farm to esurance and ended up scratching our heads at all the money we had wasted through laziness.
Old Aug 29th 2014, 2:31 am
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
You have to play the game properly and switch every now and then to get the "switching discounts" (not mention all the other discounts). We've moved all ours from state farm to esurance and ended up scratching our heads at all the money we had wasted through laziness.
Thanks guys - shall get on this later this year; figure I may as well wait for the 3 years of license holding first, as that'll help the quotes.

We have two car policies, a house policy, and an umbrella policy, but they all have different renewal dates spread from Nov through May. If I get them all quoted for, and move them en masse, will I get refunds for the unused portions, does anyone know?
Old Aug 29th 2014, 3:17 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, you should.
Old Aug 29th 2014, 2:56 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat027 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hotscot
I agree, at best Santa Clarita is "nice" in parts.

But it's sandwiched between two freeways, the 14 and the heavily traveled 5, and also encompassed by "mountains". Tends to trap all the smog.

To be honest, apart from the white supremacist gangs, it doesn't seem too bad a place, and is indeed popular with families, but very hot, boring, bad commute, bad air....

Apart from all that....
Are we thinking of the same place? It's really nice where I am in Valencia. I run a lot and have never noticed smog. And gangs? Where? It is hot though, but I love the heat. Gorgeous place. Especially comparing to where I came from in Birmingham.
Old Aug 29th 2014, 3:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

I'd say Valencia is the nicer part Dek, (unlike Saugus and Newhall), but you're still next to the 5. And you can always Google about the air quality and gangs...plenty data.

When I drive to LAX down the 14 and glance over in the morning I can always see the smog settled over the main part.

But if I had to live there I'd go to Valencia

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...oryId=96329575

Of course like everywhere YMMV

Last edited by Hotscot; Aug 29th 2014 at 3:53 pm.
Old Aug 29th 2014, 3:58 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hotscot
..... When I drive to LAX down the 14 and glance over in the morning I can always see the smog settled over the main part. ....
Sometimes you can't see the smog if you're actually in it. The degree might not be the same as in LA, but I remember sitting in my office in London, back in the mid 1990's, and looked out of the window one summer day at the cloudless clear blue sky. Then I scanned down to the horizon, between buildings on the other side of the square. I noticed that as I looked lower the sky became less blue, then whiteish-grey, ..... and eventually an almost mustard yellow. That was the bit that everyone was breathing!
Old Aug 29th 2014, 4:38 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat027 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah, I probably just don't see it being in it. I gave up smoking and took up running here so that's gotta be more healthy for me, smog or no smog

I didn't choose Valencia. It just happened to be where my work is. I think I was lucky in that it's nicer than the surrounding areas.

Time for me to spread my wings a bit though next year and move further south as Valencia is really for families. I'm thinking Studio City / North Hollywood, that kind of area.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat027; Aug 29th 2014 at 5:23 pm.
Old Aug 29th 2014, 4:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dek
I'm thinking Studio City / North Hollywood, that kind of area.
I think for you, those are good suggestions. Good buzz around there, bars, restaurants, young professional crowd.
Old Aug 29th 2014, 5:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zzrmark
Which is what I told her. Maybe it's a Florida thing, she did say that it was a recommendation circulating some while back. I did argue it for a while but it doesn't change the fact that people do. I suppose the thinking is that if some toerag obtains your card and signs it with their name you could believe that the card company will be able to inspect the original receipt, etc, etc.(knowing CC companies they'll tell you to take a walk because it should have had your name on it!)

All I could find on the net was this:

To sign or not to sign? (Page 1 of 2)
Just look at the TOS of your card, there are none that don't have the requirement of signing with your valid signature. Look at the visa and MasterCard sites as well, plus any other card company, and you'll see that they say no signature or stuff like CID are not valid. Unfortunately, many Americans are dumb.
Old Aug 29th 2014, 5:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Oh great.

I know Simi Valley is associated with racist cops