Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Hi - I'm new to this forum

Hi - I'm new to this forum

Old Aug 28th 2014, 3:44 am
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi - I'm new to this forum

With regards to driving in CA, you have to take both the written and behind the wheel test. You can download an app from the CA DMV that includes the CA drivers handbook to study. There are also apps that allow you to take practice exams. You can take your written exam as soon as you have some sort of ID or proof of residency. The behind the wheel test you may have to wait for, however, once you pass the written test, you are entitled to a temporary license in CA if you hold a full UK license.
Insurance, it's worth bringing proof of your no claims. Geico accepted my UK NCB as a clean driving record. I'm sure there are other companies that do the same.
Old Aug 28th 2014, 5:30 am
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
I think you should shop around for insurance. I've had problems with State Farm pricing before wanting to charge substantially more than what others charged.
Thanks Michael - I'm planning to shop around at the start of next year, when we're past the '3 years of license, 2 years of a mortgage' mark.
Old Aug 28th 2014, 8:04 am
Just Joined

CaliforniaDreaming2014 is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow, thank you everyone for the amazing responses. I feel like I'm getting somewhere and the move doesn't feel as overwhelming as it did yesterday. I will take a look at wiki as well as the links that you've shared.

To answer your question Hotscot, although my husband will be working in LA central, we have visited Santa Clarita several times as my sister lived there (although her circumstances were different so she couldn't answer many of my questions) and we fell in love with the place. It is very family orientated and there seem to be a much better pool of schools to choose from. We have two boys, 13 and 10, so catering for them is a top priority. I was however unaware of the pollution situation.... We are aware that travel to LA will be a nightmare, however as my husband will be leaving very early in the mornings, we are hoping this will be ok (he is already used to travelling for hours to drive to London anyway). Another thing that came into the decision making is cost of living. The neighbourhoods close to LA are very pricey and even though some other (not as expensive) neighbourhoods look closer to LA on the map, when you plot the travel, time wise, it doesn't make a huge difference. Therefore we thought we would stick with what we knew. If you have other areas to recommend, we would be open to suggestions.
Old Aug 28th 2014, 8:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Have a look at the Ventura corridor, closer to ocean.
And consult with Sally Redux on these boards.

Also Orange County. Much better than Los Angeles County.
Old Aug 28th 2014, 8:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

That is going to be a bad commute.

Not actually familiar with Santa Clarita but those places can be extremely dull, to be frank. Calabasas was bad enough.

I will try to give you some pointers on areas if you give me more detail about what your lifestyle/aspirations/budget are. Also where exactly he'll be working.

Last edited by Sally Redux; Aug 28th 2014 at 8:41 am.
Old Aug 28th 2014, 4:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, at best Santa Clarita is "nice" in parts.

But it's sandwiched between two freeways, the 14 and the heavily traveled 5, and also encompassed by "mountains". Tends to trap all the smog.

To be honest, apart from the white supremacist gangs, it doesn't seem too bad a place, and is indeed popular with families, but very hot, boring, bad commute, bad air....

Apart from all that....
Old Aug 28th 2014, 5:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

One teeny weenie tip (which I was rather surprised at) came from my USC wife recently.
Apparently people are encouraged not to sign the backs of their credit cards but rely upon using their driving licences as signature confirmation - apparently it helps keep card fraud down (probably by only a teeny weenie bit as no-one seems to check signatures anyway!!!).
Old Aug 28th 2014, 5:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zzrmark
One teeny weenie tip (which I was rather surprised at) came from my USC wife recently.
Apparently people are encouraged not to sign the backs of their credit cards but rely upon using their driving licences as signature confirmation - apparently it helps keep card fraud down (probably by only a teeny weenie bit as no-one seems to check signatures anyway!!!).
Wrong. Merchants can and will refuse an unsigned card because it is not valid unless signed.
Old Aug 28th 2014, 5:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sir_eccles is absolutely correct.

There is no official agency that will encourage you to not sign your credit card.
The instruction from the finance agency that provides it to you are to sign it as soon as you receive it.

Last edited by Hotscot; Aug 28th 2014 at 5:57 pm.
Old Aug 28th 2014, 5:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hotscot
I agree, at best Santa Clarita is "nice" in parts.

But it's sandwiched between two freeways, the 14 and the heavily traveled 5, and also encompassed by "mountains". Tends to trap all the smog.

To be honest, apart from the white supremacist gangs, it doesn't seem too bad a place, and is indeed popular with families, but very hot, boring, bad commute, bad air....

Apart from all that....
...we're waiting...
Old Aug 28th 2014, 5:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I'm thinking...
Old Aug 28th 2014, 5:58 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zzrmark
Twaddle. Consistent with what you said, I don't think I have EVER had anyone check the the signature when I purchase something, at least not in any meaningful way. ..... In fact most of my purchases on a weekend, when little Miss P is with me, are signed for, .... by little Miss P! That is how relevant the signature is!

Playing the devil's advocate though, what is to stop someone stealing the card and then signing it, giving them an instant matching signature? (Hint: "Nothing" ) ..... And, exactly as Sir Eccles and Hotscot said, the banks'/ card issuers' instructions are, exactly as in the UK, to sign the card immediately on receipt.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 28th 2014 at 6:55 pm.
Old Aug 28th 2014, 6:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Santa Clarita has Metrolink service to downtown(ish) LA and thus the underground network. The former is single track mostly though so delays can be accumulate and knock on quickly. Nice journey though.
Old Aug 28th 2014, 6:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Hotscot
I'm thinking...
...it's on the metro link.
Old Aug 28th 2014, 6:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Oh yes, it does have that advantage, unlike most California towns.

That and...err...get back to you..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.