Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Helping my UKC husband adjust to life in the US

Helping my UKC husband adjust to life in the US

Old Nov 24th 2014, 3:42 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Helping my UKC husband adjust to life in the US

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I have next to no interest in (gridiron) football, basketball or baseball, but I keep enough of an eye on the sports headlines (exactly as I did with soccer news when I lived in the UK) so I can participate in casual conversations "over the garden fence" or "at the water cooler" so I don't sound like a complete plonker who just stepped of the plane.
I just treat sport the same way as I did in the UK. Ignore it.
Old Nov 24th 2014, 3:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Settling into the "expat community" maybe, but that has bü99er all to with settling into living life as an American in America.

I have next to no interest in (gridiron) football, basketball or baseball, but I keep enough of an eye on the sports headlines (exactly as I did with soccer news when I lived in the UK) so I can participate in casual conversations "over the garden fence" or "at the water cooler" so I don't sound like a complete plonker who just stepped of the plane.
Errr...
Old Nov 24th 2014, 3:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Fing about Arsenal is, they always try an' walk it in.
Old Nov 25th 2014, 11:43 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas
I'd question whether adjusting to Boston should be all that difficult. A problem understanding "American" English or finding commonality with the locals around "Baahston"? A doddle compared to say... Louisiana or Georgia?
You have no idea how conservative the Boston area is then, despite the "liberal" appearance, it's not.

That said, you're right...it's all going to depend on where one sets up shop.

Finding sports to watch will still be easy with the internet, finding where you can participate yourself, may or may not be easy.
Old Nov 25th 2014, 12:31 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
You have no idea how conservative the Boston area is then, despite the "liberal" appearance, it's not.

That said, you're right...it's all going to depend on where one sets up shop.

Finding sports to watch will still be easy with the internet, finding where you can participate yourself, may or may not be easy.
Fair enough. But I wasn't referring to political views. More referring to the fact that Boston is perhaps more like England in terms of look and feel than lots of other places one could choose to settle. But that's also taking the liberty of assuming "being like England" is what one would fancy, or expect to find when moving abroad, as many British expats seem to expect.

Here in Spain, many British expats complain incessantly about how "un-British" it is here (as if that's what they expected) unless of course they restrict themselves to British expat areas, but even then, it ain't blighty, so I'd tend to believe the same might apply anywhere. I'd have to believe there would be quite a bit less shock in "Baahston" by comparison.
Old Nov 25th 2014, 12:49 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Fair enough. But I wasn't referring to political views. More referring to the fact that Boston is perhaps more like England in terms of look and feel than lots of other places one could choose to settle. But that's also taking the liberty of assuming "being like England" is what one would fancy, or expect to find when moving abroad, as many British expats seem to expect. .....
I think many of the differences, and similarities, are in people's heads. I found more similarities than I expected, a long way south of Boston. The rural South has echos of British influence that have been snuffed out in urban areas. The differences weren't that big a deal, and sometimes were part of the fun!
Old Nov 25th 2014, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

Chrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond repute

Instead, those who seem most content and happy are always the ones who embrace their new surroundings, actively participate in it, seek all the good things about it, rather than fear it, refuse to embrace it, or refuse to be a part of it.

I don't think surrounding him with "British" stuff would be wise. Showing him a really good time within the local culture would be wiser, me thinks.
I think this is a great answer. The culture shock is real. The US is not the UK with better weather, it's a whole other culture. Moving to France or China would be easier for most of us because we are forced to confront the "foreignness" of our new abode. Here in the US we think we are on safer ground with a shared language, but in fact the cultural differences run deep.

Help him accept that things here are different. That does not necessarily make them better or worse - they are just different. The french may eat croissants for breakfast instead of toast and cereal. We would never judge them for that, we just accept it as being typically "French." However we routinely take Americans to task for daring to do things differently to us true-original Brits.
Most new arrivals spend a lot of time alienating their newfound American friends by bitching about how things are done better in the UK. The ATMs work differently here? So what? Driving standards are terrible? Learn how to deal with it without blowing a gasket! etc...

I steered clear of expat communities when I came here - I would recommend meeting as many Americans in short order as you can, and absorbing their culture over frequent, wine-fuelled discussions.
Old Nov 25th 2014, 8:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

LondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond repute

New England does have similarities to the UK that the rest of the States don't have. My hubby thinks it's funny how Americans not from New England pronounce route as rowt instead of root. Then again the South have some traditions same as the UK like vinegar on chips.

Actually DH complains about New England traditions being replaced by general Americanisms, such as some Boston supermarkets starting to call the trolleys carts instead of the local name carriage.
Old Nov 26th 2014, 3:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by solstice930
Hey everyone. These threads have been so useful so I'm hoping for a bit more advice

I'm a USC married to a UKC, currently living in the UK. We're planning our move to the US next year, bringing with us a 2.5 year old and 4-6 month old. We'll be moving to Los Angeles, where I'm originally from and all my family live.

We're doing this because we'd like to be near family, now that we've got little ones of our own (well one, with another on the way). His family are spread all over the UK/Ireland, and it's been tough since our daughter was born. It will be a huge upheaval for all of us (myself included, who has lived in the UK now for nearly 10 years) but I'm also excited about the journey.

My husband has been to the US many times, including annual trips to LA, so he has an idea what he's in for. He also gets on extremely well with my family (luckily!) But I'm still worried about moving so far from his friends and family, and the life he's used to. I'm getting my citizenship sorted before we go so we can always move back here if we're unhappy.

That being said, do you guys have any tips to help him adjust to life in the US (LA in particular!). I'm thinking things like:
  • Joining a weekly football/soccer team
  • Monthly pub quizzes
  • Meeting other expats
  • TV access to his favourite shows/sports

I think life will be very full on for the first few years, including news jobs, new house, little kids, family visits. But I want this to be a happy move for all of us, and want to help him transition to American life. What helped when you first came over? Any tips or suggestions you guys might have would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance
I'm the USC (and from So Cal) in this marriage and for us moving to Seattle has helped. My husband was never interested in living in California (family or no) and wanted to live up here, he felt his job prospects were better. It has worked out and of course the weather here is closer to what he's used to. However, it's not someplace I'm completely happy with (we've lived here for 10 years) but it's not horrible.

My husband has never joined BE (I did the same thing you are doing 10+ years ago because I was concerned he would have a hard time adjusting here, he hasn't) and he's never looked for anything British to join, i.e. pubs, clubs, etc.

Good luck on your upcoming move. I hope your husband has no problems and settles in well.

Last edited by AmerLisa; Nov 26th 2014 at 3:33 am.
Old Nov 26th 2014, 8:54 am
Just Joined

solstice930 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks AmerLisa! For us, this whole move is about family, so if we weren't in California we probably wouldn't bother moving at all. Although I bet my husband would like Seattle too...far too soggy and grey for me though

I think it's probably a good idea to get stuck into the local culture, rather than trying to replicate Blighty in LA (never gonna happen!). But I also know that it doesn't take much of a reminder of home to help with a bout of homesickness...I need to work on my fry-ups for when he's feeling down!

And I definitely think that while UK/US culture differences are very real, small town/big city ones are possibly even more difficult. I haven't found it very difficult to adapt to Edinburgh or London, but I feel so foreign when we visit small towns (especially in Northern Ireland where my husband is from). Small town America feels just as foreign to me, especially outside of CA. It really could be another country sometimes. I feel like my UK in-laws could happily live in a small coastal village in California with little difficultly, but would feel completely out of place in the centre of Manchester or Edinburgh.
Old Nov 26th 2014, 1:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

The one thing that really has made a great impression on me, and it could be that we moved back to somewhere that was foreign to me, is reverse culture shock. I was only away (only in the sense it was half the years you were away lol) 5 years, but it was like I came back to a country I really didn't know. Well I did know, but didn't. Perhaps you will settle in better because you're going "home" so to speak. I'll be interested to hear how it all goes.

Good luck!
Old Nov 26th 2014, 4:13 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
<snip> reverse culture shock </snip>
Hmm.. yes, I know the feeling. Going back for Christmas. Always seems "foreign" to me.

There's another thread debating "statelessness". As I find it harder to feel I truly "belong" to any state, I might qualify.
Old Nov 26th 2014, 7:48 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm.. yes, I know the feeling. Going back for Christmas. Always seems "foreign" to me.
"Depressing" for some
Old Nov 26th 2014, 8:00 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Uncle_Bob
"Depressing" for some
Christmas? or going back?
Old Nov 26th 2014, 9:05 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

Christmas? or going back?
Going back.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.