Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Helping my UKC husband adjust to life in the US

Helping my UKC husband adjust to life in the US

Old Nov 22nd 2014, 10:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Helping my UKC husband adjust to life in the US

Got a lovely dust storm here right now...
Old Nov 22nd 2014, 10:43 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fozzyb
Who in their right mind would spend $7 on a pack of McVitties Chocolate Hobnobs.
I've paid $5 for plain chocolate digestives, and I'm not even a Brit. (I do love those things. I don't understand the fuss about Hobnobs, though.)
Old Nov 22nd 2014, 11:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
I've paid $5 for plain chocolate digestives, and I'm not even a Brit. (I do love those things. I don't understand the fuss about Hobnobs, though.)
It's the golden syrup.
Old Nov 22nd 2014, 11:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hotscot
Got a lovely dust storm here right now...
There is a beautiful scene in Four Lions set in a London park in that soft British rain - couldn't get that out of my head when I saw it.
Old Nov 22nd 2014, 11:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
They're good for you.
It's the oats...
Old Nov 22nd 2014, 11:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
There is a beautiful scene in Four Lions set in a London park in that soft British rain - couldn't get that out of my head when I saw it.
Thanks for the tip.
Old Nov 22nd 2014, 11:58 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
This, .... it's what I was about to post.

Replacing British things with a poor and/or overpriced imitation isn't IMHO going to help him adjust. It is more likely to encourage him to dwell on what he left behind and/or is missing.

I was never a soccer, rugby, or cricket fan, but I immediately replaced my interest in F1, touring cars and DTM with CART/Indy and NASCAR, and I have been to races at several tracks between PA and GA, and a good number here in NC, though having one of the biggest tracks within a day's drive (there and back same day) certainly helped.

I could never come to terms with paying $4 for a packet of McVities biscuits or similarly outrageously priced British groceries. I "caved" recently and finally bought a jar of Marmite after 13 years.
Fair points. Though in this day and age, one does not have to give up on the sports that they like as most of them are easily available to watch online these days.

Participating, that might be a bit tricky depending on the sport and the location, but out my way, there's cricket, rugby, footy and netball all easily available in the Boston and metrowest area.
Old Nov 23rd 2014, 10:10 am
Just Joined

solstice930 is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't think I've seen the sun in about two months! Grey grey grey. Give me a 30 degree Thanksgiving please! Although I appreciate California needs some rain.

The husband is keen to go see some MLS games. Not to replace the premiere league, but he enjoys the game. He's also a fan of basketball, which is a lot easier to find on TV then rugby.
Old Nov 23rd 2014, 10:45 am

Cardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by solstice930
I don't think I've seen the sun in about two months! Grey grey grey. Give me a 30 degree Thanksgiving please! Although I appreciate California needs some rain.

The husband is keen to go see some MLS games. Not to replace the premiere league, but he enjoys the game. He's also a fan of basketball, which is a lot easier to find on TV then rugby.
Not sure where you are in the UK but here in East Anglia we have seen a lot of sunshine. Been rather rainy the last couple of days though and I'm about ready to fall on my sword. I'm used to Colorado sun and blue skies but I know how much I used to crave rain after what seemed like endless days of sunshine.

I understand the draw to be near family - it was a major factor in my decision to move back to the UK. It's my brother's birthday today and we're all going over for lunch. It was those things I missed being in the US.
Old Nov 23rd 2014, 12:15 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

IBut I definitely won't miss the rain (even if he probably will).
Originally Posted by Hotscot
I do...sigh...hiking in the Trossachs, wind and drizzle on my face. Nice pint at the end of it...
Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Oh I missed the rain so much.
That wasn't just you. That's everyone in California!
California aside (especially in the last few years! ), the rest of the USA does have rain, sometimes waaay too much of it, as is expected in upper New York State tomorrow.

And even though my part of the northeast coast has had an uncharacteristic drought all summer long, lately there's been so much rain I AM feeling a bit tired of it now.... In fact, tomorrow's rain is not at all welcome here on the coast, even though we don't have the 7-foot mountains of snow that poor Buffalo, NY, has to worry about. What we do have is a huge volume of still-falling autumn leaves that choke all the local road drains, turning some streets into mini rivers of unexpected depth.

Hope some of this overabundance of rain can fall on California though.... We've had enough now over this side of the country.
Old Nov 23rd 2014, 6:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bob
Fair points. Though in this day and age, one does not have to give up on the sports that they like as most of them are easily available to watch online these days.

Participating, that might be a bit tricky depending on the sport and the location, but out my way, there's cricket, rugby, footy and netball all easily available in the Boston and metrowest area.
He will easily be able to play soccer in LA.

My doctor told me he played cricket in West Hills park.
Old Nov 24th 2014, 2:13 pm
Forum Regular

sjh520 is an unknown quantity at this point

Which UK football team does he support? The supporters' clubs are quite active over here and that would give him a ready-made network.

The craft beer scene here is great, and growing rapidly. It's good fun searching out and trying them, even if someone else has to drive you home afterwards!

I have found meeting expats (face-to-face and in this forum) to be helpful. Sharing tips, contacts, food suppliers, bars etc. is a good way to integrate yourself into the community.
Old Nov 24th 2014, 2:33 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

I'd question whether adjusting to Boston should be all that difficult. A problem understanding "American" English or finding commonality with the locals around "Baahston"? A doddle compared to say... Louisiana or Georgia?
Old Nov 24th 2014, 2:51 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sjh520
..... I have found meeting expats (face-to-face and in this forum) to be helpful. Sharing tips, contacts, food suppliers, bars etc. is a good way to integrate yourself into the community.
Settling into the "expat community" maybe, but that has bü99er all to with settling into living life as an American in America.

I have next to no interest in (gridiron) football, basketball or baseball, but I keep enough of an eye on the sports headlines (exactly as I did with soccer news when I lived in the UK) so I can participate in casual conversations "over the garden fence" or "at the water cooler" so I don't sound like a complete plonker who just stepped of the plane.
Old Nov 24th 2014, 3:21 pm
Forum Regular

sjh520 is an unknown quantity at this point

Settling into the "expat community" maybe, but that has bü99er all to with settling into living life as an American in America.

I have next to no interest in (gridiron) football, basketball or baseball, but I keep enough of an eye on the sports headlines (exactly as I did with soccer news when I lived in the UK) so I can participate in casual conversations "over the garden fence" or "at the water cooler" so I don't sound like a complete plonker who just stepped of the plane.
Yup. The OP's got the sports thing right- they're everywhere and a great ice-breaker.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.