Reload this Page >

Help with a tax problem

Help with a tax problem

Old Feb 25th 2017, 9:02 pm
Just Joined

Snoozy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Help with a tax problem

Originally Posted by TXLonghorn
How long have you been a US tax resident? Have you been filing your 1040s during that time?
I have never filed for tax in the US and never had any US based income. I'm a British citizen, on a UK passport and B2 visa, with a holiday home in the US which I have visited every winter. Since I retired in 2000, my visits have been longer but still within the restrictions of the visa and never exceeded them.

I have never had any contact with the IRS and was blissfully unaware that their visitation constraints didn't mirror those of the visa. My recent marriage seems to have been the catalyst for bringing my taxation problems to the surface, indicating that I have become a resident alien, rather than a non-resident alien, for the 2016 tax year and may have inadvertently been one in a previous year when I made an overstay.

My immediate worry is finding a reliable source of help with my 2016 filing and getting my affairs in order. I'm far from sure that our local US accountant is sufficiently knowledgeable.
Old Feb 26th 2017, 5:22 am
Just Joined

TXLonghorn is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lansbury
Article 19 2(b) such pension, however, shall be taxable only in the other Contracting State if the individual is a resident of, and a national of, that State. The technical explanation for this paragraph makes it very clear as well that you need to be both a resident and a national.

The two conditions have to apply together, resident and national.

I was a permanent resident, living in the US, with a UK government service pension and as confirmed by the IRS, HMRC and the tax professional who does my returns, it was not taxable in the US only in the UK. When I became a US citizen it then became taxable in the US.

Please stop giving incorrect and misleading information on these forums.
Wrong again. The term "national" in the OECD is left up to the individual country to define. For tax treaty purposes, the term "national" includes permanent residents. The whole purpose of the savings clause is to restrict US citizens and permanent residents from claiming treaty benefits. Maybe this flowchart will be easier for you to understand: http://www.tax-charts.com/charts/894...axation_uk.pdf
Old Feb 26th 2017, 5:56 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Wrong again. The term "national" in the OECD is left up to the individual country to define. For tax treaty purposes, the term "national" includes permanent residents. The whole purpose of the savings clause is to restrict US citizens and permanent residents from claiming treaty benefits. Maybe this flowchart will be easier for you to understand: http://www.tax-charts.com/charts/894...axation_uk.pdf
I understand it because I have been in that situation and took professional advice. That advice came from a tax professional, from the HMRC department that deals with tax issues for the government department I worked in, and the IRS. They all said that for a permanent resident in receipt of a UK government service pension it could only be taxed in the UK.

Three years US tax returns were submitted with an excemption for US tax claimed under the treaty on my pension. For each of those years the IRS accepted that without any issues.

There are others I believe on this board, who receive a UK government pension living in the US as a permanent resident and pay tax in the UK.

For someone whose web site indicates they are a tax lawyer to give out such misleading and erroneous information beggars belief. I hope no-one on BE takes anything you say at face value, as your insistence that how both HMRC and IRS deal with these pensions is incorrect calls your competence into question.
Old Feb 26th 2017, 6:18 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe this flowchart will be easier for you to understand: http://www.tax-charts.com/charts/894...axation_uk.pdf
. However,due to the complexity of these rules, this flowchart undoubtedly includes errors and omissions.

Well that disclaimer is certainly right.
Old Feb 26th 2017, 2:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

theOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond repute

For those struggling with the term 'national', perhaps the following from IRS Publication 901, on page 33, will clarify the intention of the treaty:

"Pensions paid by, or funds created by, the
United Kingdom, its political subdivisions, or local
authorities for services performed for the
United Kingdom are exempt from U.S. income
tax unless the recipient is both a resident and
citizen
of the United States."

[emphasis mine]

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p901.pdf

From a previous post in this thread:
"Wrong again. The term "national" in the OECD is left up to the individual country to define."
Not sure what the OECD has to do with any of this, but if the US always followed OECD practice, they would adopt the OECD Common Reporting Standard.
Old Feb 26th 2017, 3:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond repute

This thread has possibly become a tad impolite. Apologies if this was partly me over-egging the pudding. The question originally asked is a common one and quite easily resolved by a dually US/UK qualified tax adviser; as these issues are frequently seen in the UK. It is unlikely that Snoozy's current accountant would be suitable for the work required as s/he will not be familiar enough with the interpretation of various rules; including within the treaty. I would hardly ever suggest using anyone Stateside for these kinds of tax issues; as there is far more experience on these specific issues within the UK.
Old Feb 26th 2017, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by Cook_County
This thread has possibly become a tad impolite.
It hasn't. Just the use of a 4x2 become necessary for error correction.

Apologies if this was partly me over-egging the pudding.
It wasn't.
Old Feb 26th 2017, 6:00 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by theOAP
For those struggling with the term 'national', perhaps the following from IRS Publication 901, on page 33, will clarify the intention of the treaty:

"Pensions paid by, or funds created by, the
United Kingdom are exempt from U.S. income
citizen
of the United States."

[emphasis mine]

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p901.pdf

From a previous post in this thread:
"Wrong again. The term "national" in the OECD is left up to the individual country to define."
Not sure what the OECD has to do with any of this, but if the US always followed OECD practice, they would adopt the OECD Common Reporting Standard.
That applies only to UK government employee pensions. Notice it says services performed for and not in.

Pensions paid by, or funds created by, the
United Kingdom
are exempt from U.S. income
citizen of the United States.

These exemptions do not apply to income or
pensions for services performed in connection
with a business carried on by the United Kingdom,
its political subdivisions, or local authorities.
Old Feb 26th 2017, 6:07 pm
Just Joined

I understand it because I have been in that situation and took professional advice. That advice came from a tax professional, from the HMRC department that deals with tax issues for the government department I worked in, and the IRS. They all said that for a permanent resident in receipt of a UK government service pension it could only be taxed in the UK.

Three years US tax returns were submitted with an excemption for US tax claimed under the treaty on my pension. For each of those years the IRS accepted that without any issues.

There are others I believe on this board, who receive a UK government pension living in the US as a permanent resident and pay tax in the UK.

For someone whose web site indicates they are a tax lawyer to give out such misleading and erroneous information beggars belief. I hope no-one on BE takes anything you say at face value, as your insistence that how both HMRC and IRS deal with these pensions is incorrect calls your competence into question.
I hope that no one takes any such information posted by anyone on an online discussion board at face value. I have not done my due diligence on this obviously because he is not a client. And I will admit it's been a long time since I've come across this issue and I'm not sure how we handled it.

I don't care what the telephone rep at the IRS told you. That is not a reliable source of information either. Unless you have a private letter ruling, I don't accept the telephone rep's advice at face value either.

Moreover anecdotal information about what worked for you or didn't in terms of the return not being audited is flawed. Not all issues are discovered by the IRS. That does not mean your position is correct.

Last edited by TXLonghorn; Feb 26th 2017 at 6:16 pm.
Old Feb 26th 2017, 8:39 pm

That applies only to UK government employee pensions. Notice it says services performed for and not in.

Pensions paid by, or funds created by, the
United Kingdom
are exempt from U.S. income
citizen of the United States.
In post #8 you said a permanent resident is liable for tax on a UK government service pension, I point out that was wrong they had to be a citzen as well and you decided to argue the point. I even told you Article 19 and the explanatory notes said that.

I never said a non government pension wasn't taxable in the US. I see now you are saying I was correct.
Old Feb 26th 2017, 9:09 pm
Just Joined

In post #8 you said a permanent resident is liable for tax on a UK government service pension, I point out that was wrong they had to be a citzen as well and you decided to argue the point. I even told you Article 19 and the explanatory notes said that.

I never said a non government pension wasn't taxable in the US. I see now you are saying I was correct.
Well I guess we were not talking about the same things. By gov't pension I was referring to a UK workplace pension set up by the government, not a civil service pension.
Old Feb 27th 2017, 4:17 pm

Old Feb 27th 2017, 7:08 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

By gov't pension I was referring to a UK workplace pension set up by the government, not a civil service pension.
Just caught my eye as I was passing through.

To help and clear this up for you. The above are one and the same.