Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Help - Problem Renewing UK Passport from the US

Help - Problem Renewing UK Passport from the US

Old Nov 10th 2017, 2:03 pm
Just Joined

mymontreal is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Help - Problem Renewing UK Passport from the US

Hoping that someone can help as I am going around in circles with UK passport authorities...

I have renewed my UK passport several times without any problems - however, this seems to be the first time that Dual Nationals have to provide a colour copy of any other passports...

I also have Canadian Citizenship and submitted a copy of my current Canadian passport. Unfortunately my Canadian Passport does not show my middle name (just my first and last names).

My current (just expired) UK passport shows first, middle and last names - My UK birth certificate also shows first, middle and last names.

Now UK passport authorities are saying that they cannot renew my UK passport, unless I first get the name on my Canadian passport changed... this in turn would first require me to apply for a name change on my "Canadian Citizenship Certificate" (a LONG process) and who knows what trickle-down impact this would have on my US Green Card etc...

Maybe I should have been more careful over the years, but I'm sure that most of us have many of our official documents in slightly different names...

Anybody have any advice, as this is stressing me out like crazy...

Many Thanks
Mike
Old Nov 10th 2017, 4:03 pm
Forum Regular

OldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help - Problem Renewing UK Passport from the US

Contact them, email is fine, and argue your case.

I had a similar issue with my daughter this year. Her Japanese name is different to her UK name as no middle names are allowed in Japan.

I argued the case that her UK birth certificate name matched her UK passport name, so they should renew it.

The case was escalated to a manager who then accepted that she has two legal names. They added a note in the UK passport as follows:

"The holder of this passport is also holder of japan passport in the name of NAME the passport expiry date DATE"

Look at my posts, or search, for my thread on my daughter's passport renewal.

Last edited by OldJuddian; Nov 10th 2017 at 4:07 pm. Reason: Add information
Old Nov 10th 2017, 6:33 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

An example of why it isn't always a good idea to tell the UK you have another passport.
Old Nov 10th 2017, 7:03 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
An example of why it isn't always a good idea to tell the UK you have another passport.
Old Nov 10th 2017, 8:18 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Old Nov 10th 2017, 8:22 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

But isn't the question asked when you renew from overseas?
Old Nov 10th 2017, 8:31 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Just because its asked doesn't mean you have to answer it
Old Nov 10th 2017, 8:41 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

They ask you if you are a dual citizen
Old Nov 10th 2017, 9:12 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

They ask you if you are a dual citizen
Why the eye roll? I only asked a question.
Old Nov 10th 2017, 9:33 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

You can be a citizen without having a passport.

If an applicant is concerned about telling porkies, maybe they should just feed their other passport into the garbage disposal, then tell the UK Passport Office that they don't have another passport. .... Or if they have flexible scruples they could skip the garbage disposal step.

FWIW I completely forgot to send a copy of my US passport, and still got my new British passport back less than two weeks later.
Old Nov 10th 2017, 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski
You can be a citizen without having a passport.

If an applicant is concerned about telling porkies, maybe they should just feed their other passport into the garbage disposal, then tell the UK Passport Office that they don't have another passport. .... Or if they have flexible scruples they could skip the garbage disposal step.

FWIW I completely forgot to send a copy of my US passport, and still got my new British passport back less than two weeks later.
Old Nov 10th 2017, 9:39 pm

because how you answer the question is your choice, I couldn't possibly comment on what someone might put.
Old Nov 10th 2017, 10:04 pm
Concierge

because how you answer the question is your choice, I couldn't possibly comment on what someone might put.
My question was if the applicant is asked the question regarding having any other passports. I asked because I was interested, and because I was interested I had a look.

The overseas renewal form for a UK passport asks:
A Has the person named in section 2 had any sort of passport
(British or otherwise) or been included in any passport before?
B You must send us all uncancelled passports with the application
(say how many in the box). If the passports are lost or stolen, go to 3C

Am I looking at the wrong form?
Old Nov 10th 2017, 10:16 pm

My question was if the applicant is asked the question regarding having any other passports. I asked because I was interested, and because I was interested I had a look.

The overseas renewal form for a UK passport asks:
A Has the person named in section 2 had any sort of passport
(British or otherwise) or been included in any passport before?
B You must send us all uncancelled passports with the application
(say how many in the box). If the passports are lost or stolen, go to 3C

I didn't look on the form, but that has been on it for many years. On the website preamble checkbox questions it asks if you are a dual national. I have never told them I have a US passport, and never sent off copy. Done 2 renewals from the US and had no problems at all.

It is no business of the UK passport authority what other passports I hold, and I am certainly not going to send them my US passport. The OP has found out what problems that can cause, and my previous employment taught me how such information can be used.
Old Nov 10th 2017, 10:30 pm

Did you look at a "printed" form or the renewal web site?

It is done online these days and I stopped when I was being asked for information about my UK passport. That was before I saw any requests to send other passports. Before that I was just asked if I was a dual national. I would assume the online process still asks for other passports to be sent.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.