Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Help Guys - Renting with a dog!!!

Help Guys - Renting with a dog!!!

Old Jan 28th 2010, 8:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help Guys - Renting with a dog!!!

Originally Posted by Aaarrrggg
Yeah! Glad you found somewhere for Buster!

We're having a similar problem, not with the breeds because they are all lil'ens... but as soon as you tell people you have 4 dogs they don't want to know! (2 Chihuahuas, a Chinese Crested and a Boston Terrier) Even got turned away by a website that claimed to be specifically for finding dog friendly rentals! Seems that more than 2 dogs is a big no-no. Starting to panic a little bit now; going over for a scouting trip asap after my visa interview. There is the option to buy if we get really stuck, but I'd much rather rent for a while beforehand to get a better idea of the city (Austin.)

Oh btw, for any doggie lovers reading this you might like some of the designs in the Dog Lovers section of my Zazzle store. Shameless plug I know, but we do have some cute rottie designs so its kind of relevant

http://rlv.zcache.com/rottweiler_lov...62ru60_325.jpg
Oh you poor thing.

We were in the situation you were in not so long ago so I know exactly how you feel. Why are the rentals, who say it's ok for dogs, suddenly have a problem when either they find out what breed, or how many you have. To me, you're either dog friendly or not. I thought they were supposed to be man's best friend, or not, as it turns out.

We have been very lucky in the rental that we've found, because I know the hassle we've had trying to find a rental.

Don't give up. Have you got a realtor working for you. We did, and she has been a star. If we can help, let me know. And by the way, I've not looked at your website, but I will when I get a chance.

Keep hoping. You never know what's round the corner
Old Jan 28th 2010, 9:45 pm
Forum Regular

janj is a jewel in the roughjanj is a jewel in the roughjanj is a jewel in the roughjanj is a jewel in the roughjanj is a jewel in the rough

So pleased you found a rental that would accept your pooch, Brat 1

We may well have issues trying to rent in Austin with our two dogs; a golden and a field spaniel. Good luck to you, Aaarrrggg - and please report back on your own rental quest! (good luck with the upcoming visa interview).
Old Jan 28th 2010, 9:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brat1
... Why are the rentals, who say it's ok for dogs, suddenly have a problem when either they find out what breed, or how many you have. To me, you're either dog friendly or not. ...
I know you guys love your dogs and can't imagine that they would ever do anything wrong, but 4 dogs means 4 times more chances of having a barking dog situation, a poop accident, a bite, etc. In fact, dogs seem to love mimicking each other and if one started barking, I can imagine all 4 barking in unison 'because that's what dogs do'... There are restrictions on size too in apartments, because of the noise of a dog bounding around in an upstairs unit.
Old Jan 28th 2010, 10:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
There are restrictions on size too in apartments, because of the noise of a dog bounding around in an upstairs unit.
Yep, the rules in my condo building limit the size (I forget the limit) and number (2) of pets regardless of what type of pet it is. And the only pets that have been an issue to other owners since I've lived there have been dogs (fouling common areas, causing a noise nuisance). Even in a single family residence situation, I can't blame a landlord for not wishing to rent to dog owners in general, or imposing limits on size/breed/number. As this thread has discussed, they're a potential liability issue.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Jan 28th 2010 at 10:11 pm.
Old Jan 28th 2010, 10:13 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a dog lover and have 2 small dogs...at one time I had 2 large and 2 small dogs. I would never rent a property out to anyone who had pets.