Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Hello, just found this site

Hello, just found this site

Old Jul 27th 2005, 11:11 pm
Banned

Terrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to behold
Default Hello, just found this site

Hello,

Just found this site by accident. I wish I found it when I was dealing with all the INS bullshit could have saved me a few bob.

Well quick intro, names Terrier live in Chicagoland been here for 3 years came on the K1 route, what fun that was!!!!!

So I am heading home after nearly 4 years over here for the first time in November, weather crap, flight cheap!!!!

I booked my flight right after the bombing of London, just made me want to go home and having not felt any tinge of homesickness since I got here since the bombings have been racked with homesickness. Wife can't understand it, and to be honest I can't either???
I have a great house, great life here in terms of material things and job etc. but still feel very honesick the last 2 weeks.
What kind of experience have other British expats had of this homesickness. Things I miss are things like going to the match, TV, radio (listening online but not quite the same), newspapers, left wing polotics if there is any left in the UK any more!!!???, going for a walk in the country, hills and the people to name just a few.

Any words of advice, I'm not thinking of upping sticks and not comming back when I go in November but don't know if it (going back) will be a good or bad thing???

Last edited by Terrier; Jul 27th 2005 at 11:16 pm.
Old Jul 27th 2005, 11:18 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello, just found this site

Welcome to the site

Well I wouldn't just up sticks if you haven't gotten citizenship yet, and without a decent holiday as that might just do the trick, as things have changed in blighty as well
Old Jul 27th 2005, 11:19 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Terrier
Hello,

Just found this site by accident. I wish I found it when I was dealing with all the INS bullshit could have saved me a few bob.

Well quick intro, names Terrier live in Chicagoland been here for 3 years came on the K1 route, what fun that was!!!!!

So I am heading home after nearly 4 years over here for the first time in November, weather crap, flight cheap!!!!

I booked my flight right after the bombing of London, just made me want to go home and having not felt any tinge of homesickness since I got here since the bombings have been racked with homesickness. Wife can't understand it, and to be honest I can't either???
I have a great house, great life here in terms of material things and job etc. but still feel very honesick the last 2 weeks.
What kind of experience have other British expats had of this homesickness. Things I miss are things like going to the match, TV, radio (listening online but not quite the same), newspapers, left wing polotics if there is any left in the UK any more!!!???, going for a walk in the country, hills and the people to name just a few.

Any words of advice, I'm thinking of upping sticks and not comming back when I go in November but don't know if it will be a good or bad thing???
And how would your wife feel about that?! Is she a Brit too? How does she feel about moving back?

It's normal to feel homesick, but make sure it's not just a case of rose-tinted spectacles before you do anything permanent and regret it. If you haven't been back in 4 years, I'm not surprised you're feeling homesick. My advice would be to have a really great holiday in November, and then come back for a few months before you start thinking about making major decisions, then you can look at it more objectively.

Welcome to the board anyway
Old Jul 27th 2005, 11:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

Any words of advice, I'm not thinking of upping sticks and not comming back when I go in November but don't know if it (going back) will be a good or bad thing???
Welcome, where are you in Chicagoland?
Old Jul 27th 2005, 11:28 pm
Banned

Terrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Wintersong
And how would your wife feel about that?! Is she a Brit too? How does she feel about moving back?

It's normal to feel homesick, but make sure it's not just a case of rose-tinted spectacles before you do anything permanent and regret it. If you haven't been back in 4 years, I'm not surprised you're feeling homesick. My advice would be to have a really great holiday in November, and then come back for a few months before you start thinking about making major decisions, then you can look at it more objectively.

Welcome to the board anyway
Yeah I edited my post, amazing how 3 little letters, not, can change the who context of the message!!! LOL yeah my wife would kill me if I did that!!! She is a USC and thinks I am going through a midlife crisis at 32!!!! She is not up for heading to the UK as she was there for a year in 1998 and said she experienced a lot of anti US feeling, I was with here during that time and have to agree with her and that was before Iraq invasion! She can't understand that I have a great life here in terms of $ we make, house we have and cars we drive why I would want to go back to crap pay, small cars, rain, and tiny houses. For me it is not about any of that, I don't think?
Old Jul 27th 2005, 11:29 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Welcome, where are you in Chicagoland?
A suburb called Glen Ellyn 20 miles west of downtown.
Old Jul 27th 2005, 11:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in Schaumburg; I think there is someone else here in Glen Ellyn.

Anyway, how do you like it out here in the 'burbs?
Old Jul 27th 2005, 11:34 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
I'm in Schaumburg; I think there is someone else here in Glen Ellyn.

Anyway, how do you like it out here in the 'burbs?
It's nice in so much as it's safe, clean, very pretty in an American suburb kind of way. Just a bit boring for me to be honest.

I wanted to live in the city but wife poo pooed that idea right off!
Old Jul 27th 2005, 11:37 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah I edited my post, amazing how 3 little letters, not, can change the who context of the message!!! LOL yeah my wife would kill me if I did that!!! She is a USC and thinks I am going through a midlife crisis at 32!!!! She is not up for heading to the UK as she was there for a year in 1998 and said she experienced a lot of anti US feeling, I was with here during that time and have to agree with her and that was before Iraq invasion! She can't understand that I have a great life here in terms of $ we make, house we have and cars we drive why I would want to go back to crap pay, small cars, rain, and tiny houses. For me it is not about any of that, I don't think?
Since your wife is a USC, why not stay in the US for long enough to get citizenship and then suggest to her that you try the UK for a while (obviously this depends entirely on both of your jobs and whether or not you have children - i.e. if you are reasonably free and easy).

I can understand your wife's concerns about the anti-US sentiments. Why not give her this website address and suggest that she read up about how other USCs are finding living in the UK - from what I've read, most of them seem to quite like it there!

Maybe your trip back in November will be enough of a "fix" for you to be able to come back over and get back into it again. Have you explained to your wife that, no matter how great the lifestyle is, a wonderful job / car / weather / house etc. doesn't make up for losing your home and everything you have known? It's a major adjustment and it takes many years for another place to feel like home.

I really hope everything works out well for you both.
Old Jul 27th 2005, 11:39 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Terrier -- don't leave without naturalizing first! Then if you change your mind there's no more pissin' about with USCIS.
Old Jul 27th 2005, 11:41 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Hi Terrier -- don't leave without naturalizing first! Then if you change your mind there's no more pissin' about with USCIS.
Yeah, I have another 8 months before I can apply for citizenship. How long does it take after you apply?
Old Jul 27th 2005, 11:42 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I have another 8 months before I can apply for citizenship. How long does it take after you apply?

Depends where you are -- no idea for the cold north. 6 months min, 24 months max as a very unclear guess. Sure someone up there will know.
Old Jul 27th 2005, 11:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It's nice in so much as it's safe, clean, very pretty in an American suburb kind of way. Just a bit boring for me to be honest.

I wanted to live in the city but wife poo pooed that idea right off!
I think I should re-evaluate this marriage idea.
Old Jul 27th 2005, 11:45 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

Welcome.

Of course you feel homesick - some very nasty things are happening in your home, where you came from.

I'd be there in a flash, if I could. Go. It makes it worse to feel you can't be there. If you know you can go whenever you want, it's easier. If you havn't been for four years it's going to feel a bit odd at first, and you will find yourself staring affectionately at things like the familiar sweet wrappers in the shops and god knows what else.

As for permanent decisions, as others have said, get the dual citizenship and it leaves you with more options.

I'm in Evanston, by the way.
Old Jul 27th 2005, 11:46 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

We moved from Downers Grove last year, I did a welding course at College of DuPage.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.