Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Healthcare for retired mum

Healthcare for retired mum

Old Jun 16th 2017, 7:09 pm
Just Joined

Stephen123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Healthcare for retired mum

My mother just moved here, I sponsored her, she needs healthcare but is having trouble finding anyone who can suggest a company. She is retired and budget concious. We are in MA. Can anyone help ?
Old Jun 16th 2017, 7:44 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Healthcare for retired mum

Originally Posted by Stephen123
I sponsored her, she needs healthcare...
With respect, you should have considered this prior to her moving. She may not be eligible for health care at all - and if you can find a company to cover her, the premiums might be over the top!

Can anyone help ?
Is she eligible for the Affordable Care Act?

Ian
Old Jun 16th 2017, 8:08 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Check into Mass Health. Your mother is a PR and should qualify for state issued healthcare. You can start here:

http://www.mass.gov/eohhs/consumer/insurance/
Old Jun 16th 2017, 8:17 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
.... Is she eligible for the Affordable Care Act? ....
Isn't there some called "Masscare", or similar, that predates the ACA?

I suspect that if insurance is available it will be at least $1,000/mth, and it wouldn't surprise if it was twice that much, and quite possibly with copays and deductibles that are as much again.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 16th 2017 at 8:26 pm.
Old Jun 16th 2017, 9:11 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Isn't there some called "Masscare", or similar, that predates the ACA?

I suspect that if insurance is available it will be at least $1,000/mth, and it wouldn't surprise if it was twice that much, and quite possibly with copays and deductibles that are as much again.
As I noted and had given the link, it is called MassHealth.

They have a program for eligible seniors Senior Care Options (SCO) although I have not researched it at all.

My familiarity with MassHealth is a direct involvement with dear friends who reside in MA who are low income without employer healthcare options.
Old Jun 16th 2017, 10:56 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
As I noted and had given the link, it is called MassHealth. .....
You are right - I spent more than ten minutes writing my post, because I was distracted, so hadn't seen your post when I wrote mine.
Old Jun 17th 2017, 4:24 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Some States allow new PR's to sign up for Medicaid.
Old Jun 17th 2017, 5:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Some States allow new PR's to sign up for Medicaid.
But, since Medicaid is a means tested benefit the OP's mother will not be eligible unless or until she gets down close to poverty level.
Old Jun 17th 2017, 5:35 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by md95065
But, since Medicaid is a means tested benefit the OP's mother will not be eligible unless or until she gets down close to poverty level.
OP said she is retired so i am assuming her income is relatively low.
Old Jun 17th 2017, 5:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
OP said she is retired so i am assuming her income is relatively low.
I understand that she is retired but I was assuming (hoping!) that her retirement income would be sufficient to put her well above the Medicare eligibility limits because, well, you would pretty much have to be insane to move from the UK to the US if that was not the case ...
Old Jun 17th 2017, 6:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

I understand that she is retired but I was assuming (hoping!) that her retirement income would be sufficient to put her well above the Medicare eligibility limits because, well, you would pretty much have to be insane to move from the UK to the US if that was not the case ...
Since her son sponsored her would HIS income not be taken into consideration?

Does not the sponsor have to earn enough to cover the immigrant's needs so that the immigrant does not have access to public funds? Is Medicaid considered a public fund?
Old Jun 17th 2017, 6:33 pm
Concierge

Assume this as well since here in MS $1700 monthly is over the threshold and in MA my friend gets only $850 a month in social security retirement benefits and that is considered over the threshold.

Who in their right mind would allow their parent to emigrate to the US if the parent is destitute or if they the petitioner cannot afford to pay all the parent's expenses, including healthcare. So again based on his one and only post, she does have income just is being very prudent with it.
Old Jun 17th 2017, 6:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Since her son sponsored her would HIS income not be taken into consideration?

Does not the sponsor have to earn enough to cover the immigrant's needs so that the immigrant does not have access to public funds? Is Medicaid considered a public fund?
I'm not sure about Medicaid - although there is both Federal and State funding, each state sets up and administers its own medicaid program with its own set of rules. Certainly, in California, permanent residents are eligible for medicaid.
Old Jun 17th 2017, 7:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure about Medicaid - although there is both Federal and State funding, each state sets up and administers its own medicaid program with its own set of rules. Certainly, in California, permanent residents are eligible for medicaid.
Personally, I don't see the logic of immigrants having to have sponsors in order to enter the US (and said sponsors having to have a minimum income) and then the immigrant being eligible for state welfare programs.
Old Jun 17th 2017, 7:33 pm
Account Closed

Seen plenty of cases where Parents have immigrated and were covered by Medicaid, not means tested in accordance with the I 864, not an issue. On that subject never heard of a case where the Gov has enforced the I 864, must be one, but most unusual.

Some States are more generous than others.

We have no idea where the mother os from and know hardly anything about her circumstances. For 90% plus of the world being on Medicaid in the US is likely to much better than their other options.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.