Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Healthcare Cover Upon First Entering the US

Healthcare Cover Upon First Entering the US

Old Nov 17th 2017, 5:10 pm
Forum Regular

CaptainAmerica is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Healthcare Cover Upon First Entering the US

It's still early for me yet (only 3 months into my K-1 processing with no sign of NOA2 until next year), however I'm curious how others who've successfully entered the US handle their medical coverage? My fiancee will be able to add me to his personal health insurance through his employer once I have my social security number... But before I get my SS number, can I technically be covered by my regular holiday insurance? The likelihood of anything happening between entering the US and receiving a SS number is slim, however it does bother me having no coverage at all.

Am I missing something obvious?
Old Nov 17th 2017, 5:23 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Healthcare Cover Upon First Entering the US

Your husband can insure you without a social security number. You, as a K-1 recipient, are entitled to apply for a social security number the moment you enter the US.

Wait ten days from entry and go to the local social security office and complete the paperwork. Bring your passport with you. After ten days you should be on the SAVE system and your card with the number will be mailed to you.

As mentioned you do not require a social security number to be placed your husband's healthcare policy. They can use 000-00-0000 until you supply the ss number. And don't let them tell him different.
Old Nov 17th 2017, 5:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CaptainAmerica
It's still early for me yet (only 3 months into my K-1 processing with no sign of NOA2 until next year), however I'm curious how others who've successfully entered the US handle their medical coverage? My fiancee will be able to add me to his personal health insurance through his employer once I have my social security number... But before I get my SS number, can I technically be covered by my regular holiday insurance? The likelihood of anything happening between entering the US and receiving a SS number is slim, however it does bother me having no coverage at all.

Am I missing something obvious?
No. When your intention is to move permanently most travel insurance policies are not valid. In any event they operate on the basis that, in the event of urgent medical need, they will return you "home" as soon as possible.

When I moved I initially purchased a temporary policy direct from an insurer.
Old Nov 17th 2017, 5:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Entered the US, married and got on my wife's health insurance the very next day.
Old Nov 17th 2017, 6:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

I had a temporary policy through United Healthcare, it ran out before I got my EAD and got my own insurance but I didn't bother to renew it.

If you don't have any ongoing or serious medical worries then I personally wouldn't fret too much but obviously each to their own.

As others have said, you can use a blank SSN once your married as it will be a qualifying life event on your partners health insurance which will allow them to add you to the policy.
Old Nov 17th 2017, 11:18 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BenK91
As others have said, you can use a blank SSN once your married as it will be a qualifying life event on your partners health insurance which will allow them to add you to the policy.
Indeed. The OP should also know that qualifying life events typically have a time limit for making changes (such as enrolling). Miss the deadline and you get to wait until the next open enrollment (usually in the fall).
Old Nov 19th 2017, 1:05 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rete
Your husband can insure you without a social security number. You, as a K-1 recipient, are entitled to apply for a social security number the moment you enter the US.

Wait ten days from entry and go to the local social security office and complete the paperwork. Bring your passport with you. After ten days you should be on the SAVE system and your card with the number will be mailed to you.

As mentioned you do not require a social security number to be placed your husband's healthcare policy. They can use 000-00-0000 until you supply the ss number. And don't let them tell him different.
This is very helpful, thank you! Although as we wouldn't be immediately married, would the insurance take that on? Regardless, I'm asking my fiancee to see if they would provide temporary cover until we're officially married.
Old Nov 19th 2017, 1:07 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you all for your helpful comments on this problem. Knowing that I can obtain temporary cover of some kind is a relief. I'm too paranoid not to have some form of cover upon entering the US!
Old Nov 19th 2017, 1:12 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
.... Miss the deadline and you get to wait until the next open enrollment (usually in the fall).
Which is for coverage starting 1/1 the following year.
.... I'm asking my fiancee to see if they would provide temporary cover until we're officially married.
Many, but not all, employer insurance policies provide coverage to fiancé(e)s and non-married domestic partners.

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 19th 2017 at 1:15 pm.
Old Nov 19th 2017, 1:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Which is for coverage starting 1/1 the following year.

Many, but not all, employer insurance policies provide coverage to fiancé(e)s and non-married domestic partners.
Thank you! It is an employer insurance policy so that's good to know.
Old Nov 19th 2017, 2:16 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

This is very helpful, thank you! Although as we wouldn't be immediately married, would the insurance take that on? Regardless, I'm asking my fiancee to see if they would provide temporary cover until we're officially married.
Most probably they will not cover you until you are married. Are you planning on waiting the full 90 days before marrying? If it is a matter of a few weeks, I would just take the chance and go without.
Old Nov 19th 2017, 3:01 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Most probably they will not cover you until you are married. .....
Many corporations added unmarried domestic partner coverage as an option in the years preceding the legalization of gay marriage, especially if they had operations in states with different laws on gay marriage (which would have led to unfair treatment of employees in homosexual relationships in different states). Unless that policy has been reversed now that gay marriage has been legalized, which I think is unlikely, then there is a very real possibility that an unmarried domestic partner can be covered on an employer's health insurance policy. I suspect that some evidence of cohabitation might be expected.

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 19th 2017 at 3:17 pm.
Old Nov 19th 2017, 3:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ecto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond repute

Meant to update when this issue was raised over the summer. When we first arrived in the summer (family of 3 on. K1 visa), we had no coverage for the first 2 weeks. Typically l needed a root canal about 5 days after arriving and we were told by the company to use our travel insurance which we did. All in all spent about $3000 and was concerned if they would indeed reimburse us (although the insurance company said they would). Anyway they were true to their word and settled in full with no issue. I do need to caveat this with, it is an extremely good policy that has always been very good when we have needed it in the past.
Also the standard advise on here is to wait 2 weeks before going to get your ss number, we were taken on day 3 (also known as the day l started getting tooth ache!!) by our relocation agent and we got our number about a week later and had no issues. That isn't to say that waiting isn't good advise, just sharing my experience.
Old Nov 19th 2017, 5:22 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ecto17
Meant to update when this issue was raised over the summer. When we first arrived in the summer (family of 3 on. K1 visa), we had no coverage for the first 2 weeks. Typically l needed a root canal about 5 days after arriving and we were told by the company to use our travel insurance which we did. All in all spent about $3000 and was concerned if they would indeed reimburse us (although the insurance company said they would). Anyway they were true to their word and settled in full with no issue. I do need to caveat this with, it is an extremely good policy that has always been very good when we have needed it in the past.
Also the standard advise on here is to wait 2 weeks before going to get your ss number, we were taken on day 3 (also known as the day l started getting tooth ache!!) by our relocation agent and we got our number about a week later and had no issues. That isn't to say that waiting isn't good advise, just sharing my experience.
Did they know you had migrated?
Old Nov 19th 2017, 5:24 pm
Forum Regular

AndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ecto17
Wow, what travel insurance did you go with? We will be in same situation but on an IR1.

If an employer in the states provides a very good standard health care plan what will the cost be to us? Just co-pay? Or will we still have to pay a standard monthly premium? I know there are a lot of factors but i'm just looking for a rough estimate.

Cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.