Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Health Insurance - Pointers?

Health Insurance - Pointers?

Old Jul 20th 2017, 3:46 pm
Just Joined

mb2016 has much to be proud ofmb2016 has much to be proud ofmb2016 has much to be proud ofmb2016 has much to be proud ofmb2016 has much to be proud ofmb2016 has much to be proud ofmb2016 has much to be proud ofmb2016 has much to be proud ofmb2016 has much to be proud ofmb2016 has much to be proud ofmb2016 has much to be proud of
Default Health Insurance - Pointers?

Hello,

Hoping to get pointers/information regarding health insurance options and what others have done in similar situations??.. We're a family of three moving to the states in August (myself and our son first) and then my British husband at the end of August. We are moving with out jobs and our child is five and will be in Wisconsin.

I'm hoping that I am able to find a job quickly, but I would like to purchase health insurance for at least 3 months to be prepared if anything happens.

Thank you in advance for any pointers!!
Old Jul 20th 2017, 5:16 pm
Forum Regular

Dominic0012 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Health Insurance - Pointers?

Depending on your type of visa you could be eligible for medicaid.

if you are a GCH or USC you will be entitled to medicaid as you have no reportable income. you should be able to call the wisconsin state health insurance department and conduct an over the phone interview.

It would not hurt to explain the situation in advance to ensure that you are eligible to be covered.
Old Jul 20th 2017, 6:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

The OP is a US citizen sponsoring her husband.

She could go to her State exchange or to healthcare.gov to see what coverage is available to her and family.

https://www.healthcare.gov/
Old Jul 20th 2017, 7:28 pm
in Northern California

malch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond repute

You could try this:

https://www.ehealthinsurance.com/wis...ans/short-term

I have some friends that have been very happy with EHealth.
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 12:35 pm
Forum Regular

aless02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond repute

I've looked at eHealth, but wanted to ask the BE hive mind - what does one do about prescription meds for UKC husband?! Since we're going over on a family visa, we don't have any workplace insurance in place yet, of course. Do we just purchase one of these interim plans and pay cash price for the meds? Does this mean husband needs to find & register with a PCP immediately? Would this visit be covered by these 'interim' plans?

Can I also just confirm that as USC, the kids & I can go onto Medicaid temporarily until we can go onto whatever insurance he secures via employment? So all we'd need is an interim plan for husband, not a family plan.
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 2:27 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aless02
I've looked at eHealth, but wanted to ask the BE hive mind - what does one do about prescription meds for UKC husband?! Since we're going over on a family visa, we don't have any workplace insurance in place yet, of course. Do we just purchase one of these interim plans and pay cash price for the meds? Does this mean husband needs to find & register with a PCP immediately? Would this visit be covered by these 'interim' plans?

Can I also just confirm that as USC, the kids & I can go onto Medicaid temporarily until we can go onto whatever insurance he secures via employment? So all we'd need is an interim plan for husband, not a family plan.
Since the medicals are prescription, then, yes, he needs to find a primary and he/she will prescribe the drugs needed. What many people do is come to the US with a three month or more supply of their current meds to tie them over until insurance and doctors are in place.
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 4:32 pm
in Northern California

malch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond repute

Do we just purchase one of these interim plans and pay cash price for the meds?
That is certainly an option. You could also walk into an urgent care type place and pay cash to see a Doc -- maybe $125 or thereabouts. They'll probably write an Rx provided it's not a controlled drug or anything too exotic. Maybe give you a few months of refills.

The cost of the meds can vary drastically. Some generics are dirt cheap even when you pay cash (no insurance). I have insurance but the cash price of most of my meds is less than the insurance copay. Others can cost hundreds of dollars or more per refill.

I think you need to do your homework on the specific condition/meds.
Old Jul 24th 2017, 12:58 pm
Forum Regular

aless02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by malch
That is certainly an option. You could also walk into an urgent care type place and pay cash to see a Doc -- maybe $125 or thereabouts. They'll probably write an Rx provided it's not a controlled drug or anything too exotic. Maybe give you a few months of refills.

The cost of the meds can vary drastically. Some generics are dirt cheap even when you pay cash (no insurance). I have insurance but the cash price of most of my meds is less than the insurance copay. Others can cost hundreds of dollars or more per refill.

I think you need to do your homework on the specific condition/meds.
Yeah, I've checked and they're all pretty cheap (like $10-15 for a month's supply), thank goodness. 2 are just asthma inhalers, nothing exotic! It was more just working out *how* to get them. GP won't give him more than a month's supply here, he's already tried that route (they are a royal PITA though). Looks like the interim plans give a $50 Dr visit payment, so I guess just find a network PCP that can see him relatively quickly just to get an Rx from. Ta.
Old Jul 24th 2017, 1:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

It's worth using goodrx.com to check out the price of drugs.
Old Jul 24th 2017, 1:28 pm
Just Joined

mb2016 has much to be proud ofmb2016 has much to be proud ofmb2016 has much to be proud ofmb2016 has much to be proud ofmb2016 has much to be proud ofmb2016 has much to be proud ofmb2016 has much to be proud ofmb2016 has much to be proud ofmb2016 has much to be proud ofmb2016 has much to be proud ofmb2016 has much to be proud of

This thread has been so helpful!

Many thanks!!!

It really is a shame the American health care system is so complicated and in general does not work on the concept that it's a basic human right. As an American moving back, this is the #1 thing I least look forward to. NHS has been brilliant, not without fault, but would take it any day over what we're going to face back in the states.
Old Jul 24th 2017, 2:09 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

We have "teladoc" service on our insurance plan... if I lost an inhaler I would call them and ask for a new prescription to be sent to the pharmacy. Our co-pay for this service is $10 as opposed to $20 for a pcp appointment.
Old Jul 24th 2017, 3:21 pm
in Northern California

GP won't give him more than a month's supply here, he's already tried that route (they are a royal PITA though).
I take two prescription meds on an ongoing basis (chronic condition) and my doc gives me an Rx for 30 days supply with ELEVEN refills (i.e. enough for a year).

Of course, this wouldn't be appropriate with all medications (e.g. if continuing safe use required liver/kidney function tests on a regular basis).
Old Jul 24th 2017, 9:36 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by malch
I take two prescription meds on an ongoing basis (chronic condition) and my doc gives me an Rx for 30 days supply with ELEVEN refills (i.e. enough for a year).

Of course, this wouldn't be appropriate with all medications (e.g. if continuing safe use required liver/kidney function tests on a regular basis).
I also require liver/kidney function tests on an annual basis due to meds taken for Type 2 diabetes. I found that getting my meds in 90 day increments is far less expensive than on a 30 interval. I get a 90 prescription for metaformin for less than $5.00 co-pay.
Old Jul 24th 2017, 9:38 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
We have "teladoc" service on our insurance plan... if I lost an inhaler I would call them and ask for a new prescription to be sent to the pharmacy. Our co-pay for this service is $10 as opposed to $20 for a pcp appointment.
We can just call the doctor's office or service and he will phone or text the prescription into the drug store immediately. We can also order refills from him to be sent to the drug via our patient portal. There is no co-pay for the service.
Old Jul 25th 2017, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
That would be useful for the future, definitely, and I'm sure what will happen once we have a workplace insurance plan. I was more contemplating how to do it as a fresh-of-the-boat immigrant with only a 'gap insurance' plan in place. Unless pharmacies in the US will take a UK-written prescription?!

mb2016, apologies for hijacking slightly but I agree - as an American moving back, it is the one aspect I am MOST fearful about.