Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Health Insurance for parents

Health Insurance for parents

Old May 25th 2016, 5:39 pm
Just Joined

crumpets is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Health Insurance for parents

Can someone point me in the right direction to look at costs for health insurance for my parents. They would like to move here to live with us (I am a USC through marriage and lived in the US for 16 yrs) but we need to know how much insurance would be before we bite the bullet and are having a hard time finding a quote. They are over 65 but not eligible for Medicare because they are new residents. Am I right that once they have been here for 5 years they can get medicare?
They currently come on a B2 visa for 6 months and get extended travel insurance from the UK but we are looking for a more permament solution. Any help is appreciated
Old May 25th 2016, 5:58 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health Insurance for parents

There have been a number of threads on this topic. See if there is anything of assistance in this one:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-5...urance-856901/
Old May 25th 2016, 7:14 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health Insurance for parents

You are right, after being resident five years they can get Medicare. The base premium would be as below. There would be additional premiums for Part D, Medicare Advantage if they chose that, or a Medicare Supplement policy. Additionally, there would be copays, deductibles and so forth, so it's probably prudent to reckon on out of pocket health care costs somewhere in the region of $9,000 to $12,000 per year. (Per person.) That's with Medicare. For the five years up to Medicare eligibility, I believe they'd go with the ACA choices....

Part A Premium - $411 per month
Part B Premium - $121.80 per month

Last edited by robin1234; May 25th 2016 at 7:16 pm.