Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Health insurance, Medicaid question

Health insurance, Medicaid question

Old Apr 27th 2015, 2:48 pm
Just Joined

PaulaO is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Health insurance, Medicaid question

Hi, please can anyone give me some advice. I am a green card holder currently looking for work while my husband is a US citizen studying and working part-time, so our income is currently low. I think by law permanent residents have to have health insurance as I do now, but we are thinking about moving from New York to New Jersey to lower our overheads. We can’t afford New York any more. But when I called New Jersey Family Care about Medicaid, they said I am not eligible because I am not a US citizen and they don’t accept permanent residents. It seems like a catch 22. What can we do?
Paula
Old Apr 27th 2015, 3:07 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health insurance, Medicaid question

Originally Posted by PaulaO
Hi, please can anyone give me some advice. I am a green card holder currently looking for work while my husband is a US citizen studying and working part-time, so our income is currently low. I think by law permanent residents have to have health insurance as I do now, but we are thinking about moving from New York to New Jersey to lower our overheads. We can’t afford New York any more. But when I called New Jersey Family Care about Medicaid, they said I am not eligible because I am not a US citizen and they don’t accept permanent residents. It seems like a catch 22. What can we do?
Paula
In no way an expert, but their site seems to suggest that permanent residents can get the family care once they have been in the country for five years. Do you have long to wait?

NJ FamilyCare - Immigrants, Who is Qualified
Old Apr 27th 2015, 3:44 pm
BE Practitioner (Level 2)

username.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in a pretty similar situation to you.
You do need to have health insurance by law. I purchased mine after going via the exchange at healthcare.gov when the enrollment period was open. I'm not sure what the process is for you now, but recommend you start there and read the FAQs or call the helpline.
I purchased a low premium policy with high deductibles and co-pays for around $150 p/month. The costs will vary according to your age, where you live and what you might expect to earn this year.

As we're fresh off the boat immigrants who have not yet had the chance to contribute, we should not expect to be able to access Medicaid, which is fair.
Old Apr 27th 2015, 4:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by username.exe
I'm in a pretty similar situation to you.
You do need to have health insurance by law. I purchased mine after going via the exchange at healthcare.gov when the enrollment period was open. I'm not sure what the process is for you now, but recommend you start there and read the FAQs or call the helpline.
I purchased a low premium policy with high deductibles and co-pays for around $150 p/month. The costs will vary according to your age, where you live and what you might expect to earn this year.

As we're fresh off the boat immigrants who have not yet had the chance to contribute, we should not expect to be able to access Medicaid, which is fair.

For the OP, moving state from ny to nj would be a qualifying event to use healthcare.gov to buy insurance. If your income is low enough you may even get a subsidy.
Old Apr 27th 2015, 4:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

hoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
For the OP, moving state from ny to nj would be a qualifying event to use healthcare.gov to buy insurance. If your income is low enough you may even get a subsidy.
+1 to that. Living in NY, Perm Residents with less than 5 years are availed of the ability to be eligible for Medicaid, but most other states don't afford this luxury.

If your income is low enough then you should qualify for a full/partial subsidy and moving to NJ will be a qualifying event.

Hoffage
Old Apr 27th 2015, 5:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Medicaid and obtaining health insurance via your state's exchange or healthcare.gov are two different situations and circumstances.

If it's medical insurance you are looking for you should be looking at plans on either your state's exchange or www.healthcare.gov
Old Apr 27th 2015, 6:15 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

For the OP, moving state from NY to NJ would be a qualifying event to use healthcare.gov to buy insurance. If your income is low enough you may even get a subsidy.
I suspect that the OP's income might be too low (two adults, one part-time income) for a subsidy for ACA coverage, which assumed that states would expand Medicaid for their poorest residents. NJ did expand Medicaid, but has some strings that appear to prevent the OP from accessing Medicaid.
Originally Posted by hoffage123
.... If your income is low enough then you should qualify for a full/partial subsidy and moving to NJ will be a qualifying event. .....
But their income might be too low.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 27th 2015 at 6:18 pm.
Old Apr 27th 2015, 6:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I suspect that the OP's income might be too low (two adults, one part-time income) for a subsidy for ACA coverage, which assumed that states would expand Medicaid for their poorest residents. NJ did expand Medicaid, but has some strings that appear to prevent the OP from accessing Medicaid.

Perhaps.

If they want insurance they can always buy off exchange and then it doesn't matter, as long as they can pay the premium.

Alternatively, if they are generally healthy they could do without insurance and potentially pay the penalty come next tax season (as long as they avoid being hit by a bus). If they get a new job part way through the year that allows them to then buy insurance this would negate the penalty (I can't remember the minimum length of time, may be three months coverage to avoid the penalty).
Old Apr 27th 2015, 6:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

That is federal law that a person must be a LPR for 5 years or a USC to be eligible for Medicaid.

Eligible immigrants qualify for additional assistance with their health insurance in the same way as other Americans. Households with an income between 100% and 400% of the federal poverty level may be eligible for tax credits to reduce monthly premiums on health insurance. In 2013, the federal poverty level was $23,550 for a family of four. These will likely be somewhat higher in 2014.

Immigrants with an annual household income below 100% of the federal poverty level and who are otherwise ineligible for Medicaid will be eligible for tax credits and cost-sharing assistance with their insurance charges if they meet all other requirements for eligibility.

Legal and Illegal Immigrants and ObamaCare | UPMC. Health Care Reform. Simplified.
Old Apr 27th 2015, 8:54 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Pretty sure New York gives Medicaid from day one and sounds like New Jersey has the 5 year requirement.

As the move if financial then this is an factor to be taken into account.
Old Apr 27th 2015, 9:05 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Pretty sure New York gives Medicaid from day one and sounds like New Jersey has the 5 year requirement.

As the move if financial then this is an factor to be taken into account.
Could they "move into" a NY UPS Store mailbox, but rent an appartment in NJ?
Old Apr 27th 2015, 9:11 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Probably?
Old Apr 27th 2015, 10:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Medicaid and obtaining health insurance via your state's exchange or healthcare.gov are two different situations and circumstances.
Not really. After a long period of unemployment last year (during which I had a subsidized ACA plan), come re-enrollment time, the NY exchange would only enrol me in Medicaid. (This was as a PR of less than 5 years.)

Funnily enough, new year, new job, new insurance and it won't let me UNenrol in Medicaid. Something about how once you've qualified for the year, you stay qualified :eagerly awaiting ridiculous tax bill:
Old Apr 27th 2015, 11:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Could they "move into" a NY UPS Store mailbox, but rent an appartment in NJ?
Point 1, that would probably get you "moved" into a different type of locked accommodation.

Point 2, some of those mailboxes are quite spacious compared to NYC apartments.
Old Apr 28th 2015, 1:10 am

Point 1, that would probably get you "moved" into a different type of locked accommodation. ....
I believe that the accommodation comes with free healthcare.
.... Point 2, some of those mailboxes are quite spacious compared to NYC apartments.
That is one of several reasons why we're no longer in NY.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.