Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Health care and SSN

Health care and SSN

Old Nov 30th 2016, 7:59 pm
Forum Regular

d.j.and80 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Health care and SSN

haha im kind of learning but im going down on friday for my written test so wish me luck - i did the sane thing and booked an appointment though

Last edited by d.j.and80; Nov 30th 2016 at 8:15 pm.
Old Nov 30th 2016, 10:10 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
You're welcome.

If you haven't worked it out yet, DMVs are the most unhelpful, disfunctional organizations on the entire planet!
Even more than USCIS? LOL

Rene
Old Nov 30th 2016, 11:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

My healthcare provider/employer did a credit check on me when I joined up with healthcare. It may of course been for employment purposes. They did keep giving me grief for months because I hadn't provided little miss' SSN when she was born. I eventually gave in at open enrollment because it wouldn't let me proceed until everyone had a SSN. My last employer didn't care so much , but I was with an HMO insurer and no credit check.
Old Nov 30th 2016, 11:03 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
.... If you haven't worked it out yet, DMVs are the most unhelpful, disfunctional organizations on the entire planet!
Even more than USCIS? LOL ....
It's a close thing!
Old Nov 30th 2016, 11:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond repute

You're welcome.

If you haven't worked it out yet, DMVs are the most unhelpful, disfunctional organizations on the entire planet!

This is pretty accurate in my experience of the New Jersey MVC
Old Nov 30th 2016, 11:48 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Olly_
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yz3bDON9bNo

This is pretty accurate in my experience of the New Jersey MVC
I like that.

In fairness we seem to have it fairly easy, but then we live in a rural area. The complication is that for who-knows-what-reason NC separates the licensing function from the vehicle registration function.

When we first moved here I left work early one day to get my license and register our vehicles. I arrived shortly after 4pm at the licensing office, did the vision, road sign, and computer test, and was issued with my license quickly enough that I still had time for the fifteen minute drive to the vehicle licensing office and register our vehicles before it closed at 5pm.
Old Dec 1st 2016, 5:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

I did find this information from the IRS about your health provider asking for your SSN

https://www.irs.gov/affordable-care-...ecurity-number
Old Dec 7th 2016, 6:28 pm
Forum Regular

So I thought I would give you all an update now the dust has settled.

So I spoke to covered California about getting a health plan without SSN, this is something they said is fine to do and not an issue, but I couldnt get cover for December as the time to start a new plan outside of open enrollment had closed (on Nov-15) but suggested I contact the insurance companies directly -

So talking to them directly didnt help as most didnt do short term plans and the ones that did although I wouldnt need a SSN I needed to have lived in the states for the past 12 months which I dont.

But a check search online for short term health plans pointed me in the right direction and I found an emergency type cover plan for December so at least we have some cover.

Then as the open enrollment closes next week I though its best I get next year sorted. I found the plan I wanted which was with Blue shield of California and gave them a call. What I was told is that although you can have the cover without the SSN it would then affect me when I try to claim on my tax return but the nice lady told me about the neet for an ITIN number for my wife and son so that I can claim. This is something I now have to look into moving forward but it wont affect this year as we have only been here 2 months so not a big deal if im claiming as a single person on my tax.

then DMV was interesting - didnt know i needed the I-94 for which i was told after waiting for 40 minutes even with an appointment so I went back a monday with the form and without an appointment and was seen and did the knowledge test all within an hour and a half which i was impressed with. But i couldnt take the behind the wheel test on the same day and need an appointment which is tomorrow. But then I was told I needed some1 with a californian licence to be in the car when I take the test which I thought was odd but the nice DMV guy who it turns out has family in the UK 1 town south of where I lived told me the person can be international with a vaild international licence. This is a great tip as it makes life a little easier as I currently only know 2 people here well enough to ask but would still prefer not so my wife gets that job.

last week was a rough week of being told misinformation but I think now on reflection it wasnt so bad.

Hopefully this will help some1 down the road
Old Dec 7th 2016, 7:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by d.j.and80
But then I was told I needed some1 with a californian licence to be in the car when I take the test which I thought was odd
WTF... Doesn't the test examiner qualify for this requirement?

I drove to the NC DMV on my UK licence, took my test solo (with just examiner in the car)... and if I failed was prepared to walk right back out to the car and drive away on my UK licence! Turns out, I passed, but anyway.
Old Dec 7th 2016, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by tom169
WTF... Doesn't the test examiner qualify for this requirement?

I drove to the NC DMV on my UK licence, took my test solo (with just examiner in the car)... and if I failed was prepared to walk right back out to the car and drive away on my UK licence! Turns out, I passed, but anyway.
Technically that isn't allowed in many/most states, and the issue is not during the test, but driving to the test - the "learner" isn't supposed to drive themselves to the test on their own.

Last edited by Pulaski; Dec 7th 2016 at 8:13 pm.
Old Dec 7th 2016, 7:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Technically that isn't allowed in many/most states, and the issue is not during the test, but driving to the test - the "learner" isn't supposed to drive themselves to the test.
Not sure if that is legislated in NC, but meh.
Old Dec 7th 2016, 8:06 pm
Forum Regular

Thats dead right what Pulaski said - I am renting a car with insurance through the rental company right now, but I also brought a car which is in my garage and will be driven when i pass.

So i asked the DMV guy what the law is about driving on UK license and he told me that if i stayed on my UK licence its fine but the second I apply for my Cali one I am then classed as a learner on a permit, so technically right now i shouldnt be driving solo, he did say I meant to have a licence holder in the car at all times and it has to be a californian licence but on the test it can be a foreign licence.

The rules seem super strange.

I didnt ask the "how long could I drive on my UK licence" question because I know its 10 days after you become a resident already and I am getting my Cali licence so it didnt matter to me just in case people wanted to know.
Old Dec 9th 2016, 11:58 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

I beg to differ with y'all about the most unhelpful, obstructive bureaucrats on the planet.... I lived in France. Even the French hate them.

Anyway I learned NEVER to ask a person on a phone for advice if your situation is even slightly out of the norm. Look on the website, take every single document they mention and come and ask here on BE before you go, not afterwards when you've had a problem.
xx
Old Dec 10th 2016, 1:28 am

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
.... I lived in France. ....
Well who's fault is that?
Old Dec 10th 2016, 6:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by d.j.and80
This is something I now have to look into moving forward but it wont affect this year as we have only been here 2 months so not a big deal if im claiming as a single person on my tax.
I'm not sure you can do this. I've no personal experience, but remember reading that if you are married, you can't then choose to file singly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.