Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

The health care bill is past by just 7 votes!

The health care bill is past by just 7 votes!

Old Mar 24th 2010, 3:05 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The health care bill is past by just 7 votes!

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
I've seen this sort of statement before. It reminds me of the condescending, paternalistic attitude shown by many colonizing nations of the 17th, 18th and 19th centuries towards indigenous people. "How can they not understand that our ways are so much better for them than their backwards traditional methods? They are ignorant savages that must be forced into changing their ways. If they will not do so voluntarily, we will do it by force. It's for their own good, they're just too stupid to realize the favor we're doing them.".
or it can just show the power of repeated rhetoric, and the establishment of a national mythology.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 3:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
Yep. The middle class get coal. And restrictions. A beefed IRS to enforce your "choice".
They also get no lifetime caps on coverage, no ability for their insurance to be canceled or denied because of pre-existing conditions and the ability to have their children on their policies until aged 26. Those three provisions alone are going to be very beneficial to the "middle classes".
Old Mar 24th 2010, 3:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Probably - that's why we should have gone for single payer.
People are afraid to touch the insurance industry, but they seem to be the biggest cause of our problems.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 3:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Probably - that's why we should have gone for single payer.
It's also why you need some kind of mandate. Of course, single-payer would have been a far better way to go, but politically impossible.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 3:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
Exactly. It's why I generally don't hang around with British people any more.

And then there is this: Obamacare will eventually control the people. This is what it's about.

http://www.breitbart.tv/shocking-aud...rol-the-people

This will not end well.
http://cidc.library.cornell.edu/dof/...so/hanging.jpg
LMAO. For Christs sakes, nothing like taking something out of context and making it look bad. Typical right wing bullshit. They have no intention of showing the rest of the quote made by a aged individual who was clearly stumbling on his words and even said there were 300 people in the U.S.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 3:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
People are afraid to touch the insurance industry, but they seem to be the biggest cause of our problems.
The insurance industry has deep pockets and the US has the best political system money can buy.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 3:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
They also get no lifetime caps on coverage, no ability for their insurance to be canceled or denied because of pre-existing conditions and the ability to have their children on their policies until aged 26. Those three provisions alone are going to be very beneficial to the "middle classes".
And the middle-class will pay for these "privileges"!
Old Mar 24th 2010, 3:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

And the middle-class will pay for these "privileges"!
The bulk of the paying is on those that earn more than $200k.

Personally, I'll happily pay more if it means we don't have 45m uninsured, inability to pay health care bills isn't the leading cause of personal bankruptcy, and I don't have to live in fear of being uninsurable if I lose my job, as I do at present.

Oh, another significant middle class benefit is the removal of the prescription "doughnut hole" from Medicare.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 3:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The bulk of the paying is on those that earn more than $200k.

Personally, I'll happily pay more if it means we don't have 45m uninsured, inability to pay health care bills isn't the leading cause of personal bankruptcy, and I don't have to live in fear of being uninsurable if I lose my job, as I do at present.

Oh, another significant middle class benefit is the removal of the prescription "doughnut hole" from Medicare.
I'm unconvinced the extra tax provisions will be enough to cover the extra costs to the insurer.

Is the government paying the insurer to take these uninsured people on?

Really, I'm looking for things that cut the insurance premiums.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 3:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Those whose womenfolk don't wear large-hoop earrings.
Like this one? Oh sorry, he said those of middle class, not of no class
Attached Thumbnails The health care bill is past by just 7 votes!-sarah-palin4.jpg  
Old Mar 24th 2010, 3:38 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dakota44
LMAO. For Christs sakes, nothing like taking something out of context and making it look bad. Typical right wing bullshit. They have no intention of showing the rest of the quote made by a aged individual who was clearly stumbling on his words and even said there were 300 people in the U.S.
THIS IS SPARTA!
Old Mar 24th 2010, 3:40 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm unconvinced the extra tax provisions will be enough to cover the extra costs to the insurer.

Is the government paying the insurer to take these uninsured people on?

Really, I'm looking for things that cut the insurance premiums.
Unfortunately someone has to pay for the overinflated bureaucracy. If we had a single payer system there would be far fewer pen pushers to pay for.
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

My opinion is that this quote certainly seems to be exercising Planet Wingnut Blogosphere. Not sure who the 300 people are who he's talking about, though.
Thank you. I appreciate your response. And this reply is for Dakota too.

By 300, I think it's fair to assume he means 300 million Americans.

As to his intention/meaning, the following could be true:

1. He misspoke. I don't see what other way to read his words this though.
2. He means what he says. For a moment the veil was lifted.
3. He intentionally wanted to twist the knife in his "Planet Wingnut Blogosphere" opponents.

You could also argue in the defense of the Social Democrats that even if he does mean what he says, he isn't speaking for the whole party.
Which may be true. But if there are even a handful of like-minded people, that's very scary.

Occam's razor and all that - I have to take the man at his word.

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

The insurance industry has deep pockets and the US has the best political system money can buy.
Yet despite the above, people are cheering the bill as being one in the eye for the insurance industry. FFS, it makes it illegal not to buy their products, while allowing them to put their prices up.

And that's just on the face of it. I shudder to think what other sweetheart deals they've got buried deep within the text...
Old Mar 24th 2010, 3:41 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Unfortunately someone has to pay for the overinflated bureaucracy. If we had a single payer system there would be far fewer pen pushers to pay for.
You think? When did politicians ever not create a huge, overinflated, bureaucracy?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.