Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Having seconds thoughts on USA (after 5 years in NYC)

Having seconds thoughts on USA (after 5 years in NYC)

Old Jul 11th 2017, 8:39 am
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Having seconds thoughts on USA (after 5 years in NYC)

Originally Posted by britinusa777777755
At the current moment, the only advantage I can see with the USA is the higher earning potential over the UK and the larger houses. Whether this can yield a better lifestyle overall remains to be seen at least for me.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that there are other parts of the USA that I can achieve my personal ideal American dream lifestyle. Perhaps historic Boston MA is suitable? Has anybody had the same thoughts as me here and gone through the same process?
Sorry - I did chuckle reading the OP. I'm from the other side of Cheshire and we hardly ever went to Chester because of the traffic, crowding, etc. I had small children when I was living in Cheshire, and Chester is unbelievably difficult to get around with children in a buggy.

OP - Portland Maine is wonderful. Take a look. It might restore your faith in the US as a place to live.
Old Jul 12th 2017, 11:17 pm
Forum Regular

Updatedusername is an unknown quantity at this pointUpdatedusername is an unknown quantity at this pointUpdatedusername is an unknown quantity at this pointUpdatedusername is an unknown quantity at this pointUpdatedusername is an unknown quantity at this pointUpdatedusername is an unknown quantity at this pointUpdatedusername is an unknown quantity at this pointUpdatedusername is an unknown quantity at this pointUpdatedusername is an unknown quantity at this pointUpdatedusername is an unknown quantity at this pointUpdatedusername is an unknown quantity at this point

I have been in NYC for 10 years, and from what I have seen of other immigrants/transients/ex-pats your choice of location plays a large factor in how much you enjoy the life over here. If you like the small town feel of walking to your local shops/restaurant/pub, then Manhattan might not be a great choice, as the rents take such a huge amount of your income that it is often difficult to experience the Manhattan social life. Likewise living out in NJ or Westchester can be more comfortable, but a car may be essential and the commute for Manhattan workers might not be some much fun in the hot Summers and cold Winters.
From my peers I work with parts of Bronx/Queens/Brooklyn seem to have a very good balance of parks and open spaces less noise and still a local community feel about them. For NJ Hoboken seems to be very popular too. Maybe it is time for a move, but I'd suggest looking closer to where you are now before heading to Mass/Virginia etc.
Good luck with whatever you decide.
P.S. I found Chester to be lovely to visit, but too noisy and full of tourists at weekends, and don't get me started on the driving down the narrow medieval streets.
Old Jul 13th 2017, 3:40 pm
Living the NYC dream

kateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond repute

Defending New York City here. I have lived in NYC for 16 years: half of that time single in Manhattan and the other half as a family in Brooklyn. For me now, nothing beats the buzz and convenience of living in Brooklyn. Within a 10 minute walking radius, I have access to an excellent public elementary school, two movie theatres, several summer day camps for my daughter, a library, several parks, many restaurants and bars, a free outdoor swimming pool, the subway station linking me directly to Manhattan, a Trader Joe’s and various department stores, my doctor and dentist and several urgent care centres. The subway can be crowded, hot, frustrating and dirty – but I can usually get from my kitchen to my desk in Manhattan in 40 minutes. In an hour, I can reach one of many beaches. I have been the victim of crime many times living in Berkshire and Hampshire, but not once in New York (touch wood).

But there are pros and cons to everything. NYC is not that different to London or any big city and it’s very much an issue of personal preference. By the way, during the first few years of living here, I wanted to go back to the UK many times. I applied for a couple of jobs in London, but nothing panned out and I ended up staying. Now I can’t imagine moving back.
Old Jul 13th 2017, 3:55 pm
Forum Regular

viitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kateinbrooklyn
Defending New York City here. I have lived in NYC for 16 years: half of that time single in Manhattan and the other half as a family in Brooklyn. For me now, nothing beats the buzz and convenience of living in Brooklyn. Within a 10 minute walking radius, I have access to an excellent public elementary school, two movie theatres, several summer day camps for my daughter, a library, several parks, many restaurants and bars, a free outdoor swimming pool, the subway station linking me directly to Manhattan, a Trader Joe’s and various department stores, my doctor and dentist and several urgent care centres. The subway can be crowded, hot, frustrating and dirty – but I can usually get from my kitchen to my desk in Manhattan in 40 minutes. In an hour, I can reach one of many beaches. I have been the victim of crime many times living in Berkshire and Hampshire, but not once in New York (touch wood).

But there are pros and cons to everything. NYC is not that different to London or any big city and it’s very much an issue of personal preference. By the way, during the first few years of living here, I wanted to go back to the UK many times. I applied for a couple of jobs in London, but nothing panned out and I ended up staying. Now I can’t imagine moving back.
Kate,

Where in BK do you live? We are moving from Canary Wharf to NYC in October and have been considering Brooklyn as our new home. Hubby is USC and lived his whole life in BX however we want a fresh start somewhere unfamiliar. I know Brooklyn quite well and would love some recommendations from someone who has a family as our daughter will be growing up there too.
Old Jul 13th 2017, 5:47 pm
Forum Regular

Updatedusername is an unknown quantity at this pointUpdatedusername is an unknown quantity at this pointUpdatedusername is an unknown quantity at this pointUpdatedusername is an unknown quantity at this pointUpdatedusername is an unknown quantity at this pointUpdatedusername is an unknown quantity at this pointUpdatedusername is an unknown quantity at this pointUpdatedusername is an unknown quantity at this pointUpdatedusername is an unknown quantity at this pointUpdatedusername is an unknown quantity at this pointUpdatedusername is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by viitav
Kate,

Where in BK do you live? We are moving from Canary Wharf to NYC in October and have been considering Brooklyn as our new home. Hubby is USC and lived his whole life in BX however we want a fresh start somewhere unfamiliar. I know Brooklyn quite well and would love some recommendations from someone who has a family as our daughter will be growing up there too.
Hi Viitav,

I know you asked Kate, but there are plenty of good options in other boroughs too. Brooklyn has become fashionable, but if you are single then Dumbo is going to be more attractive than Park Slope or Red Hook. Where you will be working is also a big factor as not all locations have easy access to all parts of Manhattan. If you will be working above 42nd Street, Bronx and Queens could be a shorter commute than Brooklyn and have some excellent options. Budget and price also come into play, and there is a big premium to be paid to live in the "better known" areas.
Old Jul 13th 2017, 5:55 pm
Forum Regular

viitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hartley_Hare
Hi Viitav,

I know you asked Kate, but there are plenty of good options in other boroughs too. Brooklyn has become fashionable, but if you are single then Dumbo is going to be more attractive than Park Slope or Red Hook. Where you will be working is also a big factor as not all locations have easy access to all parts of Manhattan. If you will be working above 42nd Street, Bronx and Queens could be a shorter commute than Brooklyn and have some excellent options. Budget and price also come into play, and there is a big premium to be paid to live in the "better known" areas.
Hey!

I'll be working in Wall Street and hubby will be working on 149th. We've looked in the Bronx and queens but the apartments haven't been very nice and are quite old and tired looking. We want pref a new build with a lift as we have a tiny baby and buggy to take everywhere, built in AC and a washer dryer in the apt. Most places I've seen listed it's rare to find all three in other boroughs. It seems like crown heights and Flatbush by BK college are the best places alongside prospect park etc.
We aren't too fussy we just want a nice 3 bed for $2500?
Old Jul 13th 2017, 6:09 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Hey!

I'll be working in Wall Street and hubby will be working on 149th. We've looked in the Bronx and queens but the apartments haven't been very nice and are quite old and tired looking. We want pref a new build with a lift as we have a tiny baby and buggy to take everywhere, built in AC and a washer dryer in the apt. Most places I've seen listed it's rare to find all three in other boroughs. It seems like crown heights and Flatbush by BK college are the best places alongside prospect park etc.
I lived in Jackson Heights and was very happy there -- had a nice one-bedroom apartment in a doorman building, basement parking spot, and was into midtown in no time on the two available subways lines. However, that was a while ago, so perhaps that apartment wouldn't look as fresh and bright these days!
Old Jul 13th 2017, 6:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond repute

Hey!

LOL! Good luck with that apartment search. You'll get a 1 bedroom with these requirements for about $3,500.
Old Jul 13th 2017, 10:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Smartyy
One thing to remember is that the UK will not be the same as it was when you left. Many people who go back home dislike it as it does not conform to their memories. There are those who settle straight back in. Just something to consider.

Maybe look elsewhere in the US?
I think this is good advice - although sometimes people need to move back just to get it out of their system.

Not only will the UK not be the same, but the person moving back won't be the same either. People change too. We moved back to the UK after 7 years in Canada. It took over a year before we felt we were beginning to settle back into life in the UK. We had changed too - as had our friends and family. We also went back with 2 kids (we didn't have kids when we left the UK) so our circumstances had also changed.

We realized that, while we lived in Canada, we had retained an image of the UK frozen in time (the point at which we left). Everything and everyone had changed to some degree - some more than others. After 2 years back in the UK, we moved to the US.
Old Jul 13th 2017, 10:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
I think this is good advice - although sometimes people need to move back just to get it out of their system.

Not only will the UK not be the same, but the person moving back won't be the same either. People change too. We moved back to the UK after 7 years in Canada. It took over a year before we felt we were beginning to settle back into life in the UK. We had changed too - as had our friends and family. We also went back with 2 kids (we didn't have kids when we left the UK) so our circumstances had also changed.

We realized that, while we lived in Canada, we had retained an image of the UK frozen in time (the point at which we left). Everything and everyone had changed to some degree - some more than others. After 2 years back in the UK, we moved to the US.
A lot depends on what you liked and hated about the UK compare to where you live now. I could not be dealing with fighting for a parking space again on a regular basis, but I could quite easily enjoy going down the pub for Sunday lunch.
Old Jul 13th 2017, 10:56 pm
Forum Regular

Michele11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by AlphaTangoMike
LOL! Good luck with that apartment search. You'll get a 1 bedroom with these requirements for about $3,500.
I agree with that budget, 3 bedroom?, ummm I won't say no but you gonna have to really dig. Stay in the bronx with that budget cause I don't think brooklyn will do.

Anyway good luck.
Old Jul 13th 2017, 11:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Richard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond repute

Those are huge trans-Atlantic moves over a relatively short time. Hope you were able to persevere through those relocation stresses well. Interesting that rather than Canada, it was US the second time.
Old Jul 14th 2017, 2:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Richard8655
Those are huge trans-Atlantic moves over a relatively short time. Hope you were able to persevere through those relocation stresses well. Interesting that rather than Canada, it was US the second time.
We moved with young kids which, although harder than moving with no kids, is definitely easier than moving with older kids. We were actually planning to move back to Canada from the UK but then I heard about a job in Maryland and was lucky enough to be offered it on the spot during a phone interview (they were desperate!). So we moved to Maryland without having ever set foot in the place before. That was in 1998. Now we're currently planning on moving back to Canada in 2 years time (when our youngest finishes high school and the other 3 will all be done with college). I'm in Canada quite a lot as our oldest daughter lives there. I prefer Canada to the US. With the current political climate in the US, Canada looks even more attractive to us.
Old Jul 14th 2017, 2:34 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

.... We aren't too fussy we just want a nice 3 bed for $2500?
Studios and one-beds started at $2,000 16 years ago (when we were looking). I doubt you find much that is fit for human habitation at $2,500 today! And from what I hear, three beds are like hen's teeth at any price.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 14th 2017 at 2:51 am.
Old Jul 14th 2017, 2:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Richard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond repute

We moved with young kids which, although harder than moving with no kids, is definitely easier than moving with older kids. We were actually planning to move back to Canada from the UK but then I heard about a job in Maryland and was lucky enough to be offered it on the spot during a phone interview (they were desperate!). So we moved to Maryland without having ever set foot in the place before. That was in 1998. Now we're currently planning on moving back to Canada in 2 years time (when our youngest finishes high school and the other 3 will all be done with college). I'm in Canada quite a lot as our oldest daughter lives there. I prefer Canada to the US. With the current political climate in the US, Canada looks even more attractive to us.
Interesting experience and good you kept your Canadian residency valid (be it citizenship or PR). I agree that Canada is much preferred. The bizarre political climate and broken health care system are what concern us down here. And Canada was somehow more European, to our liking.

We had PR status and lived in Ontario for a year back in 2007, but I couldn't get a job in my field resulting in moving back to US for employment. Our PR status in the meantime expired, which would be nice now that we're retired. If we could, we'd move back immediately. Oh well, always have UK passports if things get worse. But best wishes on your move back in a couple years.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.