Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Having seconds thoughts on USA (after 5 years in NYC)

Having seconds thoughts on USA (after 5 years in NYC)

Old Jul 5th 2017, 4:46 pm
Forum Regular

britinusa777777755 is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Having seconds thoughts on USA (after 5 years in NYC)

Bit of background
From a beautiful place in the UK (Chester), I've been around the NYC area for over 5 years. When I first arrived I had stars in my eyes, enjoyed the city and the people, I did not see any negatives at all.

Now 5 years on, I have started to notice and see all of the negatives:
1. Homelessness
2. Rude people in a rush everywhere, roads, supermarkets everywhere. No patience at all.
3. Bad roads, filthy streets and subways
4. Atrocious quality public schools only mitigated by living in the highest cost areas of NJ/Westchester
5. Unbelievable cost of daycare
6. High crime
7. Outside of Manhattan in areas such as Northern NJ some of the above problems disappear, however there are other problems, wider streets, faster traffic, lack of walkable downtowns/community and long commutes to work.
8. Obsession with consumerism and status

At the current moment, the only advantage I can see with the USA is the higher earning potential over the UK and the larger houses. Whether this can yield a better lifestyle overall remains to be seen at least for me.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that there are other parts of the USA that I can achieve my personal ideal American dream lifestyle. Perhaps historic Boston MA is suitable? Has anybody had the same thoughts as me here and gone through the same process?

This is photo of Chester, England taken from Google Images

Last edited by britinusa777777755; Jul 5th 2017 at 5:40 pm.
Old Jul 5th 2017, 7:17 pm
Forum Regular

Marc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Having seconds thoughts on USA (after 5 years in NYC)

It sounds to me like you've just had enough of NYC. We have a British friend in NYC and from everything she tells us it's full of crazies and weirdos. She pays more to rent a 1bed studio apartment in Manhattan than we did to rent a 5bed house with pool in Southern California (which is not exactly a cheap place to live either!).

It's a big country... why not look elsewhere before going back to blighty. Can you move jobs easily? Family moving to consider?
Old Jul 5th 2017, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

Smartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond repute

One thing to remember is that the UK will not be the same as it was when you left. Many people who go back home dislike it as it does not conform to their memories. There are those who settle straight back in. Just something to consider.

Maybe look elsewhere in the US?
Old Jul 5th 2017, 7:35 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Comparing Chester to NYC is a bit like comparing Chester to London. Neither are going to compare very well.
Old Jul 5th 2017, 7:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

I have found 1-5 and number 8, equally applies to Portland on the other side of the country. We don't have filthy subways, just an inefficient transit system. I just accept that the higher salary will allow my to retire at some point, whereas in the UK retirement is just a dream for many.
Old Jul 5th 2017, 7:43 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Marc_ely
It sounds to me like you've just had enough of NYC. We have a British friend in NYC and from everything she tells us it's full of crazies and weirdos. She pays more to rent a 1bed studio apartment in Manhattan than we did to rent a 5bed house with pool in Southern California (which is not exactly a cheap place to live either!).

It's a big country... why not look elsewhere before going back to blighty. Can you move jobs easily? Family moving to consider?
Thanks for your response, nice to hear that somewhere so nice such as SoCal is comparatively affordable.

Currently living in NJ, need to be based near NYC for work reasons at the moment. In approx one year, I could consider other places in the USA. All my family is back in the UK, no ties in NYC.
Old Jul 5th 2017, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

Smartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
I have found 1-5 and number 8, equally applies to Portland on the other side of the country. We don't have filthy subways, just an inefficient transit system. I just accept that the higher salary will allow my to retire at some point, whereas in the UK retirement is just a dream for many.
From what I remember in Portland is plenty of homelessness. Lots of hippies too.
Old Jul 5th 2017, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mrken30
That is sad that you are finding those problems with Portland

I was hoping that a smaller place like Portland would not been like that at all. I went to Boston MA for a weekend and it seemed far less rushed than NYC also more upscale generally, although it was just for the weekend.
Old Jul 5th 2017, 7:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by britinusa777777755

I was hoping that a smaller place like Portland would not been like that at all. I went to Boston MA for a weekend and it seemed far less rushed than NYC also more upscale generally, although it was just for the weekend.
Every city has issues. No perfect city in the US. Just need to find the issues you don't mind as much.
Old Jul 5th 2017, 7:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Don't judge the USA by NYC.
Old Jul 5th 2017, 8:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Smartyy
From what I remember in Portland is plenty of homelessness. Lots of hippies too.
They did try getting rid of some last year.

Portland approves $30,000 to help homeless people bus out of town | OregonLive.com

I blame the Rajneesh from years ago.

VOTER REGISTRATION HALTED AS GURU IS PICKETED - NYTimes.com
Old Jul 5th 2017, 8:06 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
Don't judge the USA by NYC.
I agree with that sentiment, however at least for 1 year. My only options for living are places within commuting distance from NYC or the UK. Sometimes that means that I equate NYC/USA.

Do you like it in GA?
Old Jul 5th 2017, 8:19 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britinusa777777755

That's an incredibly "rose-colored glasses" portrait of Chester -- even the gasometer is bathed in a heavenly light! If you dislike NYC so much, there is obviously no point in staying there. However, I doubt you would find Boston any better. I lived in NYC in the seventies, when it was seriously grungy, and was there for a day just last week. To me, it is still one of the greatest cities in the world and the energy sucks me in every time -- I love being there. If it doesn't appeal to you, that's obviously your prerogative, but perhaps you would be happier back in the U.K.
Old Jul 5th 2017, 8:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I think you just trade one set of issues for another moving south. There is no perfect place, just decide on which issues matter to you most.
Old Jul 5th 2017, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
That's an incredibly "rose-colored glasses" portrait of Chester -- even the gasometer is bathed in a heavenly light! If you dislike NYC so much, there is obviously no point in staying there. However, I doubt you would find Boston any better. I lived in NYC in the seventies, when it was seriously grungy, and was there for a day just last week. To me, it is still one of the greatest cities in the world and the energy sucks me in every time -- I love being there. If it doesn't appeal to you, that's obviously your prerogative, but perhaps you would be happier back in the U.K.
I understand your point of view as well, NYC is a massive city with unlimited restaurant choices, Broadway shows, a world class city with the largest downtown in the USA by far.

For me personally though I'd trade all that, for better accommodation, access to nature, less stressful commute, nicer drivers, less hectic grocery stores and a clean smaller city. With the ability/funds to still vacation in NYC, London etc. Each to their own I guess.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.