Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Having a baby in the USA

Having a baby in the USA

Old Mar 26th 2017, 3:42 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Having a baby in the USA

It should be noted that Boris's mother chose not to leave New York when she gave birth.

I think communication with medical staff is important, and maybe being a it forceful about it. Make a birth plan and make sure staff know about it.
My wife wanted to be as natural as she could. We made a plan, but it all went to pot soon after kick off. We had been to birthing class, and I was supposed to be her support for the pain. But the pain was so bad, she wouldn't let me touch her. She struggled and then chose an epidural. Labor went on and on, she'd push and push, she got exhausted and did finally go for a Caesarean. Now those procedures did happen, but the epidural only happened when she asked for it. The Caesarean was suggested by a doctor, a doctor who is a bit Caesarean happy, but my wife knew that, and the operation only happened when she had grown tired and frustrated and thought it the sensible route. Her plan was respected by staff.
I suspect many people dont make a plan, in my experience staff try to honour a mothers plan.
Old Mar 26th 2017, 3:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cook_County
I have met at this stage of my life several hundred people who as adults renounced US citizenship and have complained (like Boris Johnson) that being born in the United States was "outrageous" for each of them. Now personally, I prefer Nutrageous; but Boris preferred to describe US citizenship-based taxation as "outrageous". Most people I know would not choose to have a US citizen child if they expected to move away from the States in the future and had that choice. I fully understand this might not be easy to accomplish and would have to be a personal choice.

I came across this article in the Cayman Compass last week. Many people, and several of my friends living there, were born in the US as their parents choose better medical care than that available on Island. Several are in the process of renouncing. (Fortunately medical care is excellent there now).

https://www.caymancompass.com/2017/0...s-republicans/
Old Mar 26th 2017, 4:23 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cook_County
I have met at this stage of my life several hundred people who as adults renounced US citizenship ....
Please would you care to explain how you have come to meet "hundreds" of people who have renounced their US citizenship when less than 5,500 did so in 2016. 5,500 is less than 2 people in 100,000 of the US population, so by any standard, they are very rare examples, and yet you claim to have met "hundreds".

FWIW Not only I have I never met someone who has renounced their US citizenship, I have never personally heard of anyone having done so, or who is even considering doing it, other than in media reports.

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 26th 2017 at 4:58 pm.
Old Mar 26th 2017, 6:46 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Please would you care to explain how you have come to meet "hundreds" of people who have renounced their US citizenship when less than 5,500 did so in 2016. 5,500 is less than 2 people in 100,000 of the US population, so by any standard, they are very rare examples, and yet you claim to have met "hundreds".

FWIW Not only I have I never met someone who has renounced their US citizenship, I have never personally heard of anyone having done so, or who is even considering doing it, other than in media reports.
I'm with him.

Also to be noted that there are many USC who live abroad who don't even know that they have to file annually and don't.
Old Mar 26th 2017, 6:54 pm
Forum Regular

jkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond repute

The only person I "know" who renounced is Tina Turner. Apparently she has lived in Switzerland since the 90's and became a Swiss citizen in 2013 and gave up US citizenship.
Old Mar 26th 2017, 10:34 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Please would you care to explain how you have come to meet "hundreds" of people who have renounced their US citizenship when less than 5,500 did so in 2016.
It's likely another case of alternate facts.

Ian
Old Mar 27th 2017, 12:12 am
Forum Regular

I like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to behold

Thanking everyone for replying to my post and supplying their perspectives and information.

I am puzzled by your post Cook_County 'child would be subject to US tax on Worldwide income forever’. Could you please elaborate on that statement as I am at a loss as to what that implies.

I am horrified that in a so called first world country children are put in Day Care from 6 weeks old. How do the mothers cope with breast feeding having disturbed sleep due to night feeds and exhaustion just getting over the birth. It seems barbaric to me both for mother and baby.
Old Mar 27th 2017, 12:59 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by I like tea
I am puzzled by your post Cook_County 'child would be subject to US tax on Worldwide income forever’. Could you please elaborate on that statement as I am at a loss as to what that implies.
It means that US citizens must file a US tax return (once they start earning the amount designated by IRS) no matter where in the world they are living and working. But they would only have to pay US tax if they earn over a certain amount.

Rene
Old Mar 27th 2017, 1:00 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanking everyone for replying to my post and supplying their perspectives and information.

I am horrified that in a so called first world country children are put in Day Care from 6 weeks old. How do the mothers cope with breast feeding having disturbed sleep due to night feeds and exhaustion just getting over the birth. It seems barbaric to me both for mother and baby.
Unfortunately it is a fact of life here if you are a working mother. A breast pump becomes your new best friend!
Old Mar 27th 2017, 1:02 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

One of the ladies at my work has had 2 children. After the first one, she came back to work full time. After the second one, she came back to work part time. She was tired, but that's just how new mothers are....tired a lot (I assume...I am not a mother myself). She used a breast pump for a while.

Rene
Old Mar 27th 2017, 1:10 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

.... I am horrified that in a so called first world country children are put in Day Care from 6 weeks old. How do the mothers cope with breast feeding having disturbed sleep due to night feeds and exhaustion just getting over the birth. It seems barbaric to me both for mother and baby.
That's the way it is. I don't think you'll find anyone here who is going to justify it for you.
Old Mar 27th 2017, 2:10 am
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

I feel much the same way. Despite this, the US has a higher breastfeeding rate than the UK.
Old Mar 27th 2017, 3:23 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

That's the way it is. I don't think you'll find anyone here who is going to justify it for you.
Personally, I don't think it needs to be justified. As you said that is the way it is in the US. There is not the safety net in our employment structure that gives mothers as generous an allowance as the UK when it comes to maternity leave. There is always the option of not returning to work until you want to return. Yes, you will lose the job you had but you can always find another.
Old Mar 27th 2017, 4:08 am
BE Enthusiast

bewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond repute

It is 12 weeks in California.

In the US maternity leave is determined by the state, not by the federal government. I have no idea what happens in New Jersey or New York. In California you get 1 week before birth (obviously, this period can be extended if the baby decides not to come on time), 6 weeks maternity leave afterward, and 6 weeks of paid family leave.

Donald Trump claimed he would make 6 weeks maternity leave a federal policy. But I haven't heard anything and it is uncertain if the federal government can take that power away from the states.
Old Mar 27th 2017, 9:01 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

"Barbaric"? That is perhaps a bit overstated. It's true the US doesn't have the generous subsidies for new parents that some countries offer. It's also true that the US doesn't have the demographic problems (yet) that other countries face that requires them to subsidize children. Having children in the US is an expensive proposition requiring major sacrifices, as is true anywhere. My wife and I have been single income since we first had children and we live 1,500 miles from any family. This has required major sacrifices, but that seems reasonable to me. After all, we chose to have kids knowing the trade-offs full well.

A bit more information here:
1. Daycare is expensive, especially for infants. Rough math: I think each parent has to have an income of at least $60K+ (perhaps higher in certain states) to justify daycare from a purely financial perspective. Otherwise one parent should likely stay home, again from a strictly financial perspective. Of course, there are possible longer term effects of leaving the workplace.
2. Many states mandate 12 weeks paid maternity leave. Some companies offer even longer periods. My company offers 12 weeks in addition to 30 days of PTO/year and 10 days of paternity leave. FMLA leave benefits are also generous at many companies.
3. Your daughter should ensure she understands every nuance of her insurance and leave policies.

Last edited by Hiro11; Mar 27th 2017 at 9:07 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.