Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Have you gotten bigger living in America?

Have you gotten bigger living in America?

Old Sep 25th 2014, 7:43 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Have you gotten bigger living in America?

[QUOTE=GeoffM;11418633]Coffee

LOVE that emoticon!

Go and have a cuppa instead then! good old yorkshire tea not that twinings rubbish I bought the other week.

Good luck with the investigations, I really hope they figure out what's going with you.
My son has celiac disease and it took a while to sort out what was going on but we got there and the almost instant improvement made it worthwhile.
Old Sep 25th 2014, 8:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Quick q for all yous (boro term ) peeps out there who are into health

ive been doing a lot of reading which states its not fat which makes you fat its sugar
Now ive stopped eating anything with added sugar -apart from natural sugar in fruit - as much as i can however do you think its ok to drink whole milk and eat full fat yogurt and cottage cheese??
Im wary of the high sat fat content
ta muchly

ps i dropped 9 pounds by stopping eating "diet"/low fat products!
Old Sep 25th 2014, 9:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

A widely varied diet with sensible portions and be wary of sugar.
Less processed the better.
Eat the rainbow...lots of colour.
I try not to add those sugar granules to anything if I can help it. However I do like a dessert at the weekend.

(Salted Caramel ice cream...orgasmic...)
Old Sep 25th 2014, 9:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CAdreaming
Quick q for all yous (boro term ) peeps out there who are into health

ive been doing a lot of reading which states its not fat which makes you fat its sugar
Now ive stopped eating anything with added sugar -apart from natural sugar in fruit - as much as i can however do you think its ok to drink whole milk and eat full fat yogurt and cottage cheese??
Im wary of the high sat fat content
ta muchly

ps i dropped 9 pounds by stopping eating "diet"/low fat products!
Pretty much what I said earlier. Example, a whole milk yogurt will satisfy you longer and reduce cravings because it takes longer to process, the sugary one is burned up straight away.

Obviously moderation as always and it's no good adding extra fat and saying "it's ok fat is good for me" that misses the point. Also exercise.

Too many people want a quick fix single thing to sort out weight issues. you need to take a holistic approach.
Old Sep 25th 2014, 9:11 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

This is my favouite subject (dental professional)!!

If you want a very good in-depth lesson on how sugar makes you fat try Dr Peter Attia's blog. They're sciencey but worth the time spent there.

Prof Robert Lustig's hour long video is excellent

and take a look at Fed-up the movie (itunes $10) .

If you can get your head round this idea that you really don't need all those carbs and especially not sugar carbs then you will be ahead of most of the so-called health gurus.

And your teeth and gums will be better!! Low carb intake = less acid/bacteria = less decay and healthier gums.
Old Sep 25th 2014, 11:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

thank you chaps
yep moderation is key I guess - i only add a bit of milk to my one or two coffees a day - rice milk/almond milk for oats/smoothies - im trying to be as unprocessed as poss

Now can someone keep me away from those almonds and walnuts!!!
Old Sep 25th 2014, 11:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise

If you want a very good in-depth lesson on how sugar makes you fat try Dr Peter Attia's blog. They're sciencey but worth the time spent there.

Prof Robert Lustig's hour long video is excellent Sugar: The Bitter Truth - YouTube

If you can get your head round this idea that you really don't need all those carbs and especially not sugar carbs then you will be ahead of most of the so-called health gurus.

And your teeth and gums will be better!! Low carb intake = less acid/bacteria = less decay and healthier gums.

thank you!! will deffo watch this
Old Sep 25th 2014, 11:59 pm
Austin. TX.

If you are interested...
this article was published a couple of days ago based on research conducted at UCL and the school of hygiene and tropical medicine.
https://www.ucl.ac.uk/news/news-arti...-sugars-intake

Not only does the increase in the incidence of diabetes track along with increase in sugar availability in a country but so does dental decay..

They are recommending 3%of calories in a diet come from free sugar, as opposed to the WHO that recommended 10% and were slated for it. WHO level of 10% means about 40g per average adult.

Sorry for hijacking the thread - but this literally has just caught the attention of the dental world in the USA and was on my FB thread.

I'm now going back to my TJ's shiraz (very nice) and Grey's anatomy

Cheers!
Old Sep 26th 2014, 6:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise

Prof Robert Lustig's hour long video is excellent Sugar: The Bitter Truth - YouTube

wow up to 20 mins of this - very interesting
Old Sep 26th 2014, 10:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeoffM
Coffee

As it happens I just got back from the CT scan. Told to book in at 7:30 for a 9am appointment. Got there 7:15, nobody about. Waited for half an hour before I was checked in. Eventually at 8:15 I get the barium drink and I drink it within 15 minutes, about a litre I guess - and told that it'll take 1.5 hours to get into the system, so about 10am. Finally I get scanned at 11am. Grrr. Half a day gone again.
And, in case anyone's interested... well ok I'll tell you anyway CT scan normal, no celiac disease, CRP normal (might be the same thing ), he kind of lost interest at that point. Just IBS.
Old Sep 26th 2014, 11:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

errr..is that good Geoff?
Old Sep 26th 2014, 11:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hotscot
errr..is that good Geoff?
Nothing deadly so good from that point of view. Just almost daily stomach cramps, usually after lunch. The only way to pin it down to a particular food is to do the bloody FODMAP thing - basically cut down to real basics and then slowly work food types back in until something triggers it. I'd already tried the common ones - dairy, gluten, aspartame.

It's one of those medical mysteries that nobody has a real answer for.
Old Sep 26th 2014, 11:56 pm
Austin. TX.

I went through all this with my son, keep a food diary for a week and note symptoms in the timeline. See if a pattern emerges.

I'd cut out the soda first and foremost Geoff (after you've done a diary) or at least don't drink any at all for a couple of mornings and see if you still have symptoms after lunch.

Feel free to pm me if I can help at all.

Big hug
Old Sep 27th 2014, 12:01 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

My digestive issues while they can find nothing medically wrong causing it, is linked to wheat along with fat, but according to the docs nothing medically causing the digestive issues, but since eating nothing but veggies, fruit, eggs, and chicken, I have pretty much eliminated the digestive issues.

It's not the most tasty diet, but I like not having to always be worried about going out.
Old Sep 27th 2014, 12:17 am
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

I'm hugely sceptical of anything that smacks of non-mainstream medicine, but am becoming more and more convinced of the role of the gut, and diet, in apparently unrelated conditions and overall health.

I did a bout of low-carbing a few years ago; for about 3-4 months I strictly cut out all grain-based stuff like bread and pasta, rice, sugar, potatoes, etc. I ate lean meat protein, nuts, seeds, a ton of veggies, a few fruits, small amount of dairy like cream in sauces (I don't like milk anyway). Lasagnes were made with thin layers of courgette instead of pasta; curries were on a bed or spinach or cauliflower 'rice' - you know the sort of thing.

I was doing it partly for weight-loss, and partly because I was reading Tim Ferriss's Four Hour Body book, and fancied mucking about with my own body hacking for fun. Well, it was a revelation. I lost weight effortlessly (and mostly kept it off), and entirely got rid of what I realised were blood sugar crashes mid-morning.

But the most fascinating thing was that I 'cured' the asthma I'd had for 20 years. It just vanished, a few weeks into my new diet. That was in 2010, and I've not needed an inhaler since; previously I was on twice-a-day puffs of the brown preventer and puffing the blue one 2-3 times a week if I was exercising or if it was cold, or I drank a particularly sulphite-y white wine.

I've since read more on this, and I'm not the only one who's discovered that their asthma or other auto-immune condition could be diet/ gut-related. My case is textbook - I did have a propensity to chest infections during my childhood, so presumably there was a systemic weakness, but the full asthma came on suddenly and dramatically after I took antibiotics for a throat infection in my late teens. The gut theory about this is that antibiotics throw off the gut's ability to deal with what are otherwise mild irritations to it, and a full-blown auto-immune condition is triggered. Avoiding trigger foods allows it to reset, and in my case, a 'normal' Western diet to be resumed - I now eat bread, pasta, etc with absolutely no effect (other than putting on weight if I eat a lot of them...).

It's all very interesting.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.