Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Has anyone ever lost their greencard abroad?

Has anyone ever lost their greencard abroad?

Old May 3rd 2016, 2:19 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has anyone ever lost their greencard abroad?

Report the lost green card to the police (so no one else can use it illegally), then apply for a replacement green card, form I-90 I believe. I assume you have a current UK passport and that's what you'll be using that to travel? You might have some trouble entering the USA without a green card, but if you are claiming to be a US PR the POE agent has to let you in. Bring proof that you've applied for the replacement green card.

Go ahead and make the Infopass appointment to get a temp I-155 stamp in your passport.

Rene
Old May 3rd 2016, 2:32 am
Forum Regular

valspal has a reputation beyond reputevalspal has a reputation beyond reputevalspal has a reputation beyond reputevalspal has a reputation beyond reputevalspal has a reputation beyond reputevalspal has a reputation beyond reputevalspal has a reputation beyond reputevalspal has a reputation beyond reputevalspal has a reputation beyond reputevalspal has a reputation beyond reputevalspal has a reputation beyond repute

Hi its too late now for the Infopass. Im flying May 12th. Ive been trying for weeks and even some time back. It just says no appointments available try later.
Ive started the process of efiling for I-90. I don;t know though whether to say i lost it there though as i might get in trouble for travelling knowlingly without a green card. It costs another 150 on top of the $450 from there. But London is so much easier to deal with than L.A. If i apply before i leave the appointment will be while i'm away as i'm going for 6 weeks.

Last edited by BEVS; May 3rd 2016 at 4:29 am.
Old May 3rd 2016, 2:34 am
Forum Regular

valspal has a reputation beyond reputevalspal has a reputation beyond reputevalspal has a reputation beyond reputevalspal has a reputation beyond reputevalspal has a reputation beyond reputevalspal has a reputation beyond reputevalspal has a reputation beyond reputevalspal has a reputation beyond reputevalspal has a reputation beyond reputevalspal has a reputation beyond reputevalspal has a reputation beyond repute

As i can't get the I-155 stamp before i go
Old May 3rd 2016, 4:13 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

There's nothing to do in London, they can't replace your green card.

Rene
Old May 3rd 2016, 5:44 am
Forum Regular

Yes if you lose it there you have to apply from the USCIS in Grosvenor Square, London and pay an extra $150 something bucks.
Old May 3rd 2016, 4:48 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by valspal
Hi its too late now for the Infopass. Im flying May 12th. Ive been trying for weeks and even some time back. It just says no appointments available try later.
Ive started the process of efiling for I-90. I don;t know though whether to say i lost it there though as i might get in trouble for travelling knowlingly without a green card. It costs another 150 on top of the $450 from there. But London is so much easier to deal with than L.A. If i apply before i leave the appointment will be while i'm away as i'm going for 6 weeks.
Why is it too late? It is still 9 days away. Try each morning to get an infopass appointment for that day or the next day. Try again later in the day. Oft times there is a cancellation and you might be able to snag it.

I doubt you will get the green card at the US Consulate. Most probably, you will get a paper that shows you have applied and the green card will be mailed to you in the US. That paper will enable you to enter the US.

BTW I never in 18 years have heard of the green card being stapled to a passport. The paper I-551 yes, but not the green card. Besides you are support to carry the card with you at all times. Prudent people make copies of it so that at the very least they have that at hand to have the information quickly available.
Old May 3rd 2016, 4:57 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Report the lost green card to the police (so no one else can use it illegally), then apply for a replacement green card, form I-90 I believe. I assume you have a current UK passport and that's what you'll be using that to travel? You might have some trouble entering the USA without a green card, but if you are claiming to be a US PR the POE agent has to let you in. Bring proof that you've applied for the replacement green card.

Go ahead and make the Infopass appointment to get a temp I-155 stamp in your passport.

Rene
I can see problems before the POE. I can see the OP not being allowed to board the aircraft in London for the return trip. That may well come down to the US CBP officers at the UK port being called to decide, if the airline just don't flat out refuse boarding.
Old May 3rd 2016, 9:10 pm

Good point, lansbury.

Rene