Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Has anybody 'moved' their ebay account from the UK to the US

Has anybody 'moved' their ebay account from the UK to the US

Old Apr 5th 2010, 1:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Has anybody 'moved' their ebay account from the UK to the US

Depends on the exchange rate - there is (or at least used to be) a UK-made ergonomic one that is close to $800. Only keyboard I know of that you can rent for a trial period.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 1:27 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BlightyBoy
I emailed ebay and changed mine but I also get notifications from ebay.co.uk
It's a nuisance seeing things in pounds but you only get this when you click through your emails. Has anybody sorted this one?
I still get that, sometimes. Seems to depend, in part, on whether I'm looking at the US or the UK site, but it's not consistent. I just live with it.

Originally Posted by MsElui
i think i moved my location from UK to us ON EBAY and had no issues with ebay BUT i had to close my uk paypal and reopen a US paypal (used same uk email address tho lol) as they were unable to change my location and i didnt want wrong addresses involved anywhere.
Yep, same for me. Fortunately, I already had a US paypal account, so I just told ebay to use that one.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 1:28 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MsElui
i think i moved my location from UK to us ON EBAY and had no issues with ebay BUT i had to close my uk paypal and reopen a US paypal (used same uk email address tho lol) as they were unable to change my location and i didnt want wrong addresses involved anywhere.
+1 on the above approach

Except...

I had a credit Sterling balance on the UK Paypal account which prevented a simple change. Had to set up a new US Paypal account then transfer the balance across by converting to USD and paying myself.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 1:31 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TimberHut
How many other people initially thought '$800 for a keyboard???????'.

Only to re-think 'oh they mean a musical piano type keyboard thingy'. Well I hope that is what they mean!
Yes, it is a musical one - and believe it or not $800.00 was a good deal. I took it for granted that people would know that, but I should have been clearer .

I wouldn't spend $50.00 on a computer keyboard, but you don't even want to know the prices of some of the musical ones I am eyeing up
Old Apr 5th 2010, 1:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light

Guess it depends on how much time you spend in front of a keyboard, but trust me, a good keyboard is worth the money if you work with computers a lot.

Mind you, I pretty much have to use specific ergonomic keyboards (proper ones, not what MS and the likes think is an ergonomic keyboard) for various reasons anyway.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 1:43 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

You are, of course, correct but my work with computers usually extends to not much more than time wasted in front of You Tube and Flight Simulator!

I can see how my wrists would feel the effects of a cheap keyboard if I did spend more time actually typing though, if I have to type a lot in work I feel it. I certainly feel it after playing piano for a few hours, but I guess those keyboards are as ergonomic as they are going to get . . .
Old Apr 12th 2010, 7:05 pm
Just Joined

aklor is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a question for any seasoned Ebay/Paypal users here.

In the UK we have the Online Royal Mail postage thingymajig, where you can purchase stamps online in the form of a barcode label, stick into onto your parcel and then just drop it off at the post office. No need to queue up for ages.

I'm a regular Ebay user and this is the method I've been using for quite a few years.

I was wondering if the postal service in the States has a similar kind of service.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 7:09 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by aklor

In the UK we have the Online Royal Mail postage thingymajig, where you can purchase stamps online in the form of a barcode label, stick into onto your parcel and then just drop it off at the post office. No need to queue up for ages.

I'm a regular Ebay user and this is the method I've been using for quite a few years.

I was wondering if the postal service in the States has a similar kind of service.
I'm pretty sure I've seen those labels on eBay items I have bought out here - either ones you buy or print yourself.

Check out the USPS website - I bet there's something in there about it.
Old Apr 13th 2010, 6:57 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

try stamps.com as well.
Old Apr 13th 2010, 2:17 pm
Just Joined

uk-lad is an unknown quantity at this point

I changed the address over myself in 'My eBay' section and linked it with my new US Paypal account. It was annoying for the first few months showing prices in GBP, I contacted eBay customer service about it several times, but they had no idea how to fix this. Fortunately after a few months for unknown reasons it changed to USD, and I haven't had this problem since.

eBay US has some information about online postage, hope this helps:

http://pages.ebay.com/usps/shippingitems/labels.html

Most of the major US Mail carriers have postage you can buy through their websites, so you don't have to stand in a queue for ages.
Old Apr 13th 2010, 2:52 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, you can purchase postage at any level you want (service, signature required, insurance etc) on line. If you do this in any volume, you'll want to print onto sticky-backed paper. This works for any eBay or PayPal initiated sale - I suppose you could do it for other stuff as well. You may also use UPS from within PayPal, but unless you have a specific need, eg heavy/large package to move fast, USPS is generally cheaper.
Old Apr 13th 2010, 8:39 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TimberHut
I bet nobody uses an $800 one though!
No, there's that oled one for a grand...

I just reopened a paypal account in the US because they couldn't move it...very annoying.
Old May 26th 2010, 3:54 am
Just Joined

mallyboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I have stumbled accros this website and was wondering if you could help me. I have a aussie ebay account and would like it to be changes to a US ebay account as it is much cheaper for lisiting fees on the usa site for usa account holders. Do I need a usa address for this? Is this possible to change my current aussie account .
Also to have a usa paypal account do i need a usa bank account or usa address?

thanks
Old May 31st 2010, 5:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

I had issues with eBay/Paypal after the move. Changing your address won't do it. You need to sort out the fact that Paypal has your 'billing currency' as GBP. Also you may have issues with eBay thinking you are still in the UK.

I did the eBay live chat thing to sort out everything so that ALL settings in eBay recognised me as fully 'US-ready'.

For Paypal, you can change your billing currency via the link on ebay as described here:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/bill...rency.html#how
Old Jun 1st 2010, 1:22 am
Pedantic Moron

Michelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't read all the posts here, but my 2 cents worth,

Changed EBay over, but still get some UK references sent to me via email.

Couldn't do it with Paypal so I shut my account down and opened a new one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.