H4 VISA

Old Mar 23rd 2001, 4:19 am
Just Joined

vinay is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,

First of all let me introduce myself... I am from India, right now working in United States(under H1 visa). I have been working in U.S for more than 2 years. Coming to my personal side, I am in love for more than 4 years. Right now my girl is in India..

My problem.....
Our parents are totally against our love. It's been 2 years we waited for our parents approval. But they are still against us. Now we deceided to get married without our parents knowledge and bring my girl here(to U.S) so that we can settle in our life.

Need advice...
When I apply for the H4 visa, I learnt that I have to proudce the marriage certificate and approx. 30 to 40 photographs(marriage photos). I can produce my marriage certificate but at the same time I cannot prouduce phographs with my parents(since they wont come for our marriage)..And since my marriage is going to take place in the register office (In INDIA)...I can take only minimum photographs that too only with my friends. So in this case if I am asked to proudce more phototgraphs(which I cannot do so) then what will happen? will the H4 visa get rejected...?

I need somebody's valuable advice on how to go about this.

Thanx in advance..

Regards,
vinay
Old Mar 24th 2001, 1:06 am
Juan Jose Garcia Ade

Hello,

I don't know who told you about the pictures, but we didn't need any picture to get
the H4. All we needed was the marriage certificate sent to the US Consulate (in
Madrid, in our case), along with all the documents.=20

Anyway, my advice is about thinking twice before taking someone you love to the US
on a H4. The H4 visa must be one of the most stupid, restrictive visas in history.
My wife is on H4 here, and it is very frustrating to see how she is not allowd to do
anything at all with that visa (even when she is very well educated, bachelor
included, work experience, etc. but not in IT...) except sitting at home all day
long. On a H4 visa, you are like a 3rd class person (I guess all of us on H1 are
like 2nd...).

Good luck,

Juanjo

Old Mar 24th 2001, 3:48 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Juanjo,
I'm also here on a H4 visa and most admit it is very frustrating not be able to work. However, I was well aware of the situation before my husband excepted the job and we made a joint decision that we would still come to America. The experience itself of living in a different country is great.

It's just a thought but has your wife thought about volunteering? I am so busy now, and although I don't get paid I am still able to use my talents and skills in a productive way. I found a great volunteer position at http://volunteermatch.org and am enjoying every minute of it.

Sue
Old Mar 24th 2001, 4:22 am
wilsol

Hi:

She is allowed to attend school and pursue another degree, if she choses to. She can
volunteer. I am sure her talent is much needed by the less fortunate.

Good luck,

Old Mar 24th 2001, 1:54 pm
Juan Jose Garcia Ade

Sue, Wilson,

That's the reason I say that for me, it is a very restrictive visa. And that all you
get from it, is frustration. You are allowed to do only things like working for free,
or expending money on more education, even if you don't need it.

Before coming here, everybody would tell us that once in the country, she would
easily change from H4 to H1 based on academic background and work experience (she is
a language teacher, a field with many available positions). That is just a plain
lie. No company at all wants to sponsor out of the IT field. If you go to a non-IT
company, they don't even know what you're talking about when you say "H1",
"sponsor", etc.

My wife doesn't want to work for free. She doesn't want to get one more degree, she
is very happy with the one she has. What else does she have as a H4 holder? Nothing.

Regards,

Juanjo

Old Mar 26th 2001, 3:34 am
Just Joined

vinay is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re...H4 visa

Thanx Juanjo,

So as per your statement it means that no photographs required for the H4...? But when I checked some INS sites they say they need some photographs along with the marriage certificate...and also since I am going to apply from India-I mean from the Americal consulate in India..and if I am asked to prouduce photos with my parents(which I cannot do so) then will they reject my wife visa?... I learnt that they cannot reject H4 visa...at any cost....Is this true... please advice...

Regards,
Vinay

Originally posted by Juan Jose Garcia Ade
X-No-Archive: Yes

Hello,

I don't know who told you about the pictures, but we didn't need any picture to get
the H4. All we needed was the marriage certificate sent to the US Consulate (in
Madrid, in our case), along with all the documents.=20

Anyway, my advice is about thinking twice before taking someone you love to the US
on a H4. The H4 visa must be one of the most stupid, restrictive visas in history.
My wife is on H4 here, and it is very frustrating to see how she is not allowd to do
anything at all with that visa (even when she is very well educated, bachelor
included, work experience, etc. but not in IT...) except sitting at home all day
long. On a H4 visa, you are like a 3rd class person (I guess all of us on H1 are
like 2nd...).

Good luck,

Juanjo