Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Guns in America

Guns in America

Old Jun 29th 2017, 8:54 pm
Banned

ABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Guns in America

Originally Posted by Rete
No, they do not. Our population surpasses that of most European countries and bear in mind that those that are gun toting idiots in the US are new immigrants. Just look here on this forum and this thread and others like it and you will see that many Brits who immigrant to the US purchase guns asap.

You don't like the US. You don't want to live here. You lived in the State of Texas which has a very high percentage of people who own guns and yet you didn't go screaming into the night. You didn't see anyone murdered, gunned down in front of you. You didn't have your home invaded. You went happily about your life until now.

Can we give this a rest already? There are nut jobs, terrorists, etc. all over the world. We own guns in our home and I don't plan on killing anyone. I do think of it occasionally but no, I am not a whack job and will not be aiming my pistol at you or anyone else and pulling the trigger.
I didn't have children when we lived in Texas. Children change everything. And I'm simply relying to some comments on this thread. Isn't that the purpose of forums? Or have I got that horribly wrong :-/
P.S. I never said I didn't like America. Where did you get that? I just asked a question about guns as nobody can deny it's a very serious issue in America.
And it seems 50/50 on Brits purchasing guns once living in the US from what I can see. And on te one hand you have the argument of "it's safe, you won't get shot, it's mostly gang related shootings, if your not in the bad areas it's not a problem." And then you have the other side which is everyone saying, "I have a gun to protect my family. Actually I have 3 (or 4)." So you can't blame me for being confused. Is every non gang affiliated average person in America safe if they stay out of the bad areas? Orrrrrr does everyone need a gun to protect themselves which seems to be the case. Do you see where I'm coming from? It's an interesting point...I think. I'm actually enjoying this thread. There's no disliking of America at all. I've lived there, studied there, I married an American. But my time spent in the US was my younger years. My oblivious years. Of not watching the news. Of being unaware. Now I have children and feel it's my duty to be aware, especially if we're considering moving back. So please don't take for a second my comments of guns as being anti-America. That's so far off the mark. I just am genuinely interested and it's a great discussion. Simple as that!

Last edited by ABD79; Jun 29th 2017 at 9:02 pm.
Old Jun 29th 2017, 9:01 pm
Forum Regular

Smartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond repute

+1 Rete.

OP
It seems like you do not have an open mind on the firearm subject here and you trying to reinforce your own paranoia.

My suggestion. Don't move here. If you're paranoid thinking the US is full of gun crazy people intent on killing anyone and not willing to consider the numerous people here saying their own personal experiences with firearms and how safe it is, then you're mind is already made up.
Old Jun 29th 2017, 9:06 pm
Banned

ABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Smartyy
+1 Rete.

OP
It seems like you do not have an open mind on the firearm subject here and you trying to reinforce your own paranoia.

My suggestion. Don't move here. If you're paranoid thinking the US is full of gun crazy people intent on killing anyone and not willing to consider the numerous people here saying their own personal experiences with firearms and how safe it is, then you're mind is already made up.
If I didn't have an open mind, would we be considering moving there? I very much doubt that. Have you googled Taco Bell shootings, Starbucks shootings, movie theatre shootings, school shootings etc., etc., etc.? They're very real and quite worrying as they are just average places people visit - not some gang land street no average person would step foot on. So naturally I'm curious, I'm interested, I'm concerned and I'm simply responding to the comments here. Which again is the point of this forum. It's not mandatory for you to comment if you don't like the subject But I THINK I'm a nice person and so I just feel it's my duty to reply out of politeness.
Old Jun 29th 2017, 9:21 pm
Forum Regular

Smartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABD79
If I didn't have an open mind, would we be considering moving there?.
Yes but you don't seem to have an open mind about what life is actually like here. From all the responses I have read, it certainly looks like you expect all these shootings to happen every single day where you live! Have you looked at stats of CCW shootings to save others? Doubt it.

Have you googled Taco Bell shootings, Starbucks shootings, movie theatre shootings, school shootings etc., etc., etc.??.
Do I need to? No! Because I am not sitting here getting worried over it and I'm surrounded by a state that loves it's firearms.

It's not mandatory for you to comment if you don't like the subject
I have no issues with the subject. If you haven't guessed, I am very pro gun. I see things like this regularly.

But I THINK I'm a nice person and so I just feel it's my duty to reply out of politeness.
Ok? I am blunt and straight to the point. Searching for shootings and statistics will tell you how safe one area is. But it does not speak for the entire 350 million people in this country and should not be interpreted that way.
Old Jun 29th 2017, 9:51 pm
Banned

Yes but you don't seem to have an open mind about what life is actually like here. From all the responses I have read, it certainly looks like you expect all these shootings to happen every single day where you live! Have you looked at stats of CCW shootings to save others? Doubt it.

Do I need to? No! Because I am not sitting here getting worried over it and I'm surrounded by a state that loves it's firearms.

I have no issues with the subject. If you haven't guessed, I am very pro gun. I see things like this regularly.

Ok? I am blunt and straight to the point. Searching for shootings and statistics will tell you how safe one area is. But it does not speak for the entire 350 million people in this country and should not be interpreted that way.
I do see what you're saying, I do. And I do just enjoy and appreciate replying to comments and the fact people have commented. CCW shootings don't help though...that just shows there's so many more shootings and someone was just lucky that someone was there to help And I appreciate that there are 300 million+ citizens in America but the 30,000 gun deaths a year is alarming and it's reported on the world over.
Perhaps I'm a media marketers dream, reading all the stories and letting it affect me. Perhaps it's just simply because I have children (which is more likely...for the most part). Believe it or not, you have helped me. It's good to hear people's views who aren't worried at all. Even if it doesn't appear like it's helped me. I like to challenge a bit sometimes too. It adds justification to what you're saying when you further defend that you feel it's safe. At the same time, I just see that there is a huge problem with shootings in the US (I don't think anyone can sensibly deny that. As said, it's highlighted and reported the world over).
So all in all the thread serves a lot of purpose. It's good on a lot of levels. I'm probably not as closed minded as you think I am. I'm sure of it. It's more a case of coming from a place where I simply never have to think of guns, virtually never hear of shootings, and it just not being something I need to worry about, to potentially moving somewhere where it is a fact of life, where the amount of mass shootings are growing rapidly, where shootings happen at places you'd never expect...and the fact I'm increasing the risk factor for my children of being a victim of this dramatically to the point of a couple of thousand times more likely for it to happen, well, I hope you can understand a little where my concerns lie. But that's why I'm here. To hear from people like you And I do really appreciate all you're saying It has helped...whether it looks like it or not

Last edited by ABD79; Jun 29th 2017 at 9:55 pm.
Old Jun 29th 2017, 9:53 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
But America does seem to have a disproportionately high number of whack jobs. .....
No, they do not. ....
Sorry, I have to agree with ADB on that point. The US is disproportionately represented in tables of serial killers (though many of whom don't use guns), and undoubtedly leads the world in spree shootings. However I would agree that both groups of killers are both extremely rare even in the US, and in the case of serial killers they prey largely on people in high risk groups - itinerants, prostitutes, and homosexuals.

I am not aware of any stats on doomsday preppers, but I suspect that the US is also over represented there too, compared to other countries.
.... and bear in mind that many of those that are gun toting idiots in the US are new immigrants. .....
Per the URL below, gun owning households have declined steadily since 1970, which I have read is mostly attributable to the fact that most new immigrants, no matter where in the world they come from, are much less likely to own guns that those born in the US to families that have lived here for generations. You only have to look at the gun arguments that break out from time to time here on BE to realize that most BE'ers are anti-gun or are not gun owners.
You lived in the State of Texas which has a very high percentage of people who own guns ....
No it doesn't. In per capita gun ownership Texas ranks 30th, behind every other state in The South (except Florida, which given the reputation of Florida for producing crazies, is probably a good thing ), most of the mountain and plains states, a few in the mid west, a couple in New England, plus Alaska.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 29th 2017 at 10:19 pm.
Old Jun 29th 2017, 10:03 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
No it doesn't. In per capita gun ownership Texas ranks 30th, behind every other state in The South (except Florida, which given the reputation of Florida for producing crazies, is probably a good thing ), most of the mountain and plains states, several in the mid west, a couple in New England, and Alaska.
Can you send the source to that info? I'm intrigued to see where my state ranks.
Old Jun 29th 2017, 10:05 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Can you send the source to that info? I'm intrigued to see where my state ranks.
I have been back and added the source URL. I have seen similar data in other places too - consistently putting Texas below half way down the table of states, usually around 30th.
Old Jun 29th 2017, 10:09 pm
Forum Regular

7th on the list Idaho, good job!

Loving how two of my surrounding states are number 1 & number 2
Old Jun 29th 2017, 10:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

and tree hugging Oregon is 26th, 40% gun ownership.
Old Jun 29th 2017, 10:16 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

No, they do not. Our population surpasses that of most European countries and bear in mind that many of those that are gun toting idiots in the US are new immigrants. Just look here on this forum and this thread and others like it and you will see that many Brits who immigrant to the US purchase guns asap.
Gun toting idiot right here. 4 years in the US. Carry my firearm every day.

I will defend your 1st amendment right to call me names until the end, too bad you don't respect my 2nd amendment right to keep and bear arms. Is one right more important than the other by the way? I don't think so.

I haven't shot anyone, I don't intend to shoot anyone, and I am entirely within the confines of the law. So, with respect for MY 1st amendment rights, shut up.

Last edited by civilservant; Jun 29th 2017 at 10:19 pm.
Old Jun 29th 2017, 10:19 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mrken30
and tree hugging Oregon is 26th, 40% gun ownership.
Darn Oregonians won't recognize my CCW reciprocity.
Old Jun 29th 2017, 10:26 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Looks interesting, DVR set.

Davidson's Gallery of Guns | Sportsman Channel
Old Jun 30th 2017, 12:06 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

ABD79, based on your various posts in various sections of the forum, I think you ought to stay in the UK as you seem to get paranoid quite easily.

Worried about spiders in Australia, getting eaten by a bear in Alberta, getting shot in America, etc.

If you're worried about spiders, look up "Tarantula Hawk" on Youtube. That'll give you a whole different perspective. And you'll probably want to buy a shotgun.
Old Jun 30th 2017, 12:11 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Not sure what sort of gun the OP is interested in, but just got an email for Kentucky Gun Company, seems a lot of good deals out there.

If new to this probably a good idea to get down your local range and try a few.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.