Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Are groceries more expensive in the US than the UK?

Are groceries more expensive in the US than the UK?

Old Apr 7th 2015, 11:38 pm
Forum Regular

Tess4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Are groceries more expensive in the US than the UK?

been here since June of last year, s& vinegar everywhere, and its really good. If you want a fantastic salt and pepper then go to Aldi, as long as you arent a snob. Best ever. Its called Clanceys, not sure if its with an e or without, either way, they are delish. They sell Kettle chips at a ridiculous price as well. Fortunately my husband doesnt much like Salt and Vinegar so i get to scoff them all on my own

@robin, what is LCBO and NYS? WSWYM...thanks
Old Apr 8th 2015, 12:02 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tess4
been here since June of last year, s& vinegar everywhere, and its really good. If you want a fantastic salt and pepper then go to Aldi, as long as you arent a snob. Best ever. Its called Clanceys, not sure if its with an e or without, either way, they are delish. They sell Kettle chips at a ridiculous price as well. Fortunately my husband doesnt much like Salt and Vinegar so i get to scoff them all on my own

@robin, what is LCBO and NYS? WSWYM...thanks
LCBO is Liquor Control Board of Ontario, they are the government entity that sells booze in Ontario which like a lot of Canada is heavily controlled by the government.

I assume NYS = New York State.

Our liquor stores are pretty small and limited in BC when compared to the vastness of booze sections in WA and CA stores where the booze aisle in a grocery store can have more selection the our liquor stores, and of course way cheaper on the US side of the border. (I have no clue how Oregon does booze, never been there.)

Have several brands of salt and vinegar here, and my wife found them in San Diego stores, so maybe the availability of that flavor is region dependent?

I love trips across the border to US grocery stores, so much selection, so many products and brands we don't have. I know some Canadians who do almost all there grocery shopping in the US because the selection in BC is kind of sucky as is the selection in most of Canada.

US grocery stores are superior to what we have, both price wise and selection wise.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Apr 8th 2015 at 12:14 am.
Old Apr 8th 2015, 12:08 am
Trash Eatin' Duck

English88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tess4
I hope you're not being sarcastic but no doubt you are LOL...it is after all the brit expat forum
Not sarcastic! The wording made me laugh- are you Ron Swanson?