Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Are groceries more expensive in the US than the UK?

Are groceries more expensive in the US than the UK?

Old Apr 6th 2015, 3:15 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are groceries more expensive in the US than the UK?

Originally Posted by andrewlohnes
I haven't seen 4 pints of milk for less than £1 in a long time
current prices at Aldi, Lidl, Tesco and ASDA here, mailly due to Aldi and Lidl cropping their prices, but it will be interesting to see what happens now as a result of quotas being got rid of.
Old Apr 6th 2015, 3:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WJS
Having said all of the above, we are still quite nervous about moving over for a few reasons and reading that even food is more expensive than the UK is a shocker to me.
Not just that but often lower quality too. I love bell peppers. In the UK they'd mostly be firm and fresh, even though I think they're imported. Here in California where they can grow them, they're more often old and wrinkly. And quite a price variation too: we used to go to a farmers' market where we used to live and peppers used to be 2-5 for a dollar - yes, as low as 20c each. In the supermarket they could be as much as $2 each.

You must have heard about chocolate, and also Hershey's. Bread is not great, usually really sweet and brittle (not much good for your bacon sarnies). Oh, and bacon of course.

Ok, it's not all bad, far from it. There is some good stuff out there.
Old Apr 6th 2015, 3:33 pm
WJS
Forum Regular

WJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond repute

Yes but have you had southern food?!!! I'm the odd one out here I know but I prefer American bacon. Must admit French bread is pretty darn good though.
Old Apr 6th 2015, 4:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Southern as in... Mexican, Tex-Mex, Louisiana, Florida/Cuban... so many that could be called "southern". Having said that, those are the types of food I do like.

Sure you can get French bread here but it never seems fresh like in the UK/France.
Old Apr 6th 2015, 4:33 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't seen 4 pints of milk for less than £1 in a long time
Really? It's less than £1 in any of the 3 supermarkets I tend to shop in. ASDA Groceries Online - From our store to your door

HTH.
Old Apr 6th 2015, 4:35 pm
Forum Regular

andrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
current prices at Aldi, Lidl, Tesco and ASDA here, mailly due to Aldi and Lidl cropping their prices, but it will be interesting to see what happens now as a result of quotas being got rid of.
It's £1 at Tesco as that's where I go. I was thinking of starting to shop in Asda more, not just to save 11p on milk it just seems cheaper all round.
Old Apr 6th 2015, 4:39 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

It's £1 at Tesco as that's where I go. I was thinking of starting to shop in Asda more, not just to save 11p on milk it just seems cheaper all round.
It should work out the same in Tesco's though, as they price match so you'll get a voucher for that 11p difference (and any other difference) for your next shop.

So I'm not sure it's worth switching supermarkets. I always get price match vouchers at Tesco, but with Clubcard points too which pay for our holidays - bonus.
Old Apr 6th 2015, 4:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Slightly biased here as Asda-Walmart was our closest supermarket, but I much preferred them to Tesco. Deli pizzas were great, I worked out what times the reductions occurred (once got a massive salmon longer than the inside of the trolley for £10 - nothing wrong with it), sold cheap clothes too, self serve checkouts too.

The local Tesco was always overcrowded and badly organised where, for example, the pasta sauce would be in one aisle and the pasta itself on the other side of the store. Mind you, that happens at Stater Bros too...
Old Apr 6th 2015, 4:48 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Cheapest milk for us is around $3.39 (mostly Walmart). We go through a gallon a week, so I do shop for the lowest price. What I really miss is milk delivered to the doorstep, but I suppose even that wonderful boon will eventually disappear in Blighty. (It was endangered in my area when I left a few years ago.)

Bread is easy. Way too expensive here, so I make my own in the breadmaker. Flour I buy in bulk when it's on sale--most expensive item is the yeast, $5 a jar (makes 20 loaves if I'm careful).
Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
It depends on how you shop too... If you buy the same brands regardless or only buy an item when you run out you will pay more than buying ahead when something is on sale or buying seasonal fruits and veg. Also taking the extra time to clip coupons etc.
Yes, this!!

It takes time to learn the tricks to saving money on groceries. Took me 6 months to figure out the best places to buy, learn effective couponing, & to get my cupboard stocked efficiently. When you move, you have to re-learn which stores are best for which products. But eventually it all comes together.

Originally Posted by AlphaTangoMike
There's also a surprising lack of 'buy one get one free' items. In Tesco, you can regularly find offers like this.
We see them a fair amount here. Stop&Shop, Shaws, Shop-Rite. Most of the larger chains will do them now & again. You do have to keep an eye on the flyers....

Originally Posted by Mrs Danvers
However I think where you live in the USA might account for differing prices. I noticed groceries were more expensive in Colorado than they were in St Louis. I assume because there's less population here and the cost of shipping food out here.
I agree. The first place we lived in the US was in the NYC commuter belt in southwestern Connecticut. Lots of large & small supermarkets within easy reach kept prices of many food items competitive, and the sales were better and more frequent (IMO).

Now we're in a more rural yet touristy area "out in the sticks", and you have to drive a while to find a major supermarket, then drive another long way to find a second. So each big chain store has a captive audience, and some prices reflect that. It's really annoying.

Last edited by WEBlue; Apr 6th 2015 at 5:01 pm.
Old Apr 6th 2015, 4:56 pm
Forum Regular

Chrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond repute

I was never able to conclude if groceries in the US really were more expensive because I found that I had a higher salary for the same job compared to London. Price of groceries may have gone up, but as a percentage of my income, they went down.

I found an interesting site that allows you do do comparisons on cost-of-living and prices of consumer goods, property etc... between different countries and cities. It even does a quality-of-life comparison. Apparently despite the pollution and traffic, my quality of life in LA is better than when I lived in London!

Quality of Life Comparison Between Los Angeles, CA, United States And London, United Kingdom
Old Apr 6th 2015, 5:25 pm
Forum Regular

TopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WJS
Yes but have you had southern food?!!! I'm the odd one out here I know but I prefer American bacon. Must admit French bread is pretty darn good though.
You CANNOT get decent French Bread in Houston at all, various places purport to sell it but it is just not the same - don't know why

I prefer American bacon too
Old Apr 6th 2015, 5:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
I would say absolutely cheaper, and better quality in the UK. I don't think it used to be like that, but when I go shopping with my sister in her beloved Waitrose and compare what she pays for an average trolley full it's clearly now a better deal in the UK. Don't know when that happened. Clothes also don't seem as (relatively)cheap here as they used to be.
I know! Waitrose prices are really good now.
Originally Posted by robin1234
The coupons etc from the major supermarkets in England is a huge difference, I found. I signed up with the co-op, Tesco and Morrisons since they are my choices in Norfolk. Tesco give you a coupon every time you shop if you could have bought some of your items cheaper elsewhere. Could be 18p, could be 2 pounds. All three of them periodically send coupons for 2 pounds or so in the mail, for successive weeks. This seems to be if you have their loyalty card, but haven't actually shopped there in a while.

By contrast, our local supermarket chain here in the US has a loyalty card, which I religiously swipe every time, but our local manager confided in me it doesn't actually do anything, because they don't actually have any IT people on staff who know how to do the work to get targeted coupons to the punters etc.
You gotta have faith.
Old Apr 6th 2015, 5:58 pm
WJS
Forum Regular

WJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TopSec
You CANNOT get decent French Bread in Houston at all, various places purport to sell it but it is just not the same - don't know why

I prefer American bacon too
Ahh finally a kindred spirit with American bacon.

In regards to the French bread in Texas, it may not be that good but they don't have buttery biscuits, lovely yeast rolls, cornbread or Texas toast here!
Old Apr 6th 2015, 6:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WJS
No disrespect taken.

The people were incredibly friendly and smiley which was wonderful and the very friendly wonderful customer service everywhere we went knocked us back. This is something that is ZERO in France. Also I must say the people are incredibly grumpy and unfriendly everywhere you go here. On the streets or in the shops. The customer service is appalling. So is quite depressing on that front until all the summer tourists arrive with some friendly faces. By the way, I think our part of France is known for their surliness.
Poor customer service is not something my sister and I have experienced in our 2 wk stay in Brittany France. We have been very impressed with all the service we have received with our very poor French.
Unfortunately, my Dad had a stroke just over 2 wks ago so it was unplanned visit. From the doctors, nurses, shops and especially the bank we have outstanding service.
My Mum has been very ill for a long time with a progressive neurological illness with Dad as her sole carer. So we had a mountain to climb but because of the level customer care, it hasn't been as big a mountain as it could have been.
Old Apr 6th 2015, 6:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

We get loads of BOGOFs in Shaws but none in Hannaford.

There are always money off deals in Shaws and Hannaford, especially marked down stuff in the meat counter, but I've never seen any deals that I can recall in Trader Joes for example.

The fruit and veg here is much nicer and fresher than any I could buy in the UK, but that was a few years ago.

I can get nice French bread easily here but could never find any in Seattle.

You really can't generalise across the whole country...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.