Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Green Card to Citizenship....any downsides??

Green Card to Citizenship....any downsides??

Old Aug 25th 2015, 10:16 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Green Card to Citizenship....any downsides??

Originally Posted by thinbrit
The reason I pointed it out is you claimed "Once you're a citizen, you're a citizen for life unless you decide to renounce it.". As you later state, this is not true. This may confuse other readers who take your initial claim at face value when investigating different circumstances.

You can also be neutralized for refusing to testify before Congress, or having been dishonorably discharged from the military if your citizenship was obtained based on service in the military.
The OP was asking a question about whether spending time outside the US would affect his US citizenship after naturalising. My answer was relevant to the question being asked as my next sentence qualified, 'The length of time you reside outside the US is irrelevant'.

If the OP was asking a question about the extremely limited and unusual circumstances in which their US citizenship could lost involuntarily then my answer would've been different.

Whilst I think it unlikely that anyone else would be reading this thread worried about losing their US citizenship after having joined Islamic State or become a cabinet minister in a foreign government I am glad that you have now clarified the situation.

Some links:

Expatriating acts: http://travel.state.gov/content/trav...tionality.html

Denaturalization: http://www.uscis.gov/policymanual/Pr...e12-PartL.html

Last edited by BritInParis; Aug 25th 2015 at 10:19 pm.
Old Aug 25th 2015, 10:17 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

..... You can also be neutralized ....
That sounds pretty drastic!
Old Aug 25th 2015, 10:31 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Sure, if it's demonstrated that the OP committed fraud in his application process or takes up arms against the United States, neither of which are very likely in the normal course of things, which I why I didn't mention it.
The reason I pointed it out is you claimed "Once you're a citizen, you're a citizen for life unless you decide to renounce it.". As you later state, this is not true. This may confuse other readers who take your initial claim at face value when investigating different circumstances.

You can also be neutralized for refusing to testify before Congress, or having been dishonorably discharged from the military if your citizenship was obtained based on service in the military.
Here's a list of denaturalized USCs, though it is reportedly incomplete, but numbers only low-hundreds. With some cases going back to the 1930's it is obviously a fairly uncommon occurance.

Scanning down the list the names are almost entirely either war criminals (not necessarily WWII), terrorists/terrorist sympathizers, communist spies, and immigration fraudsters. The few others I noticed are other unsavory characters, such as drug dealers. I did see one who was born overseas and failed to come to live in the US for a minimum of five years, under the provisions of a law that was repealed in 1978.

For all practical puposes, becoming a USC is permanent unless you later voluntarily renounce the citizenship.
Old Aug 26th 2015, 2:50 am
BE Forum Addict

jmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
T

Also, would you have to continue to file NJ taxes? This is where you have to think about cutting ties with NJ; selling the house, abandoning the driving license, closing out your bank accounts etc.
Abandoning the driving licence? Why? What does keeping the driving licence have anything to do with tax requirements? Also, will the state tax department know that you still have or don't have the licence? People can NOT file taxes for many reasons (e.g. income too low, or don't live in that state any longer) and unless the state gets info that a relevant federal return has been filed, do they come after you to ask why you haven't filed?
Old Aug 26th 2015, 3:06 am

Originally Posted by jmood
Abandoning the driving licence? Why? What does keeping the driving licence have anything to do with tax requirements? Also, will the state tax department know that you still have or don't have the licence? People can NOT file taxes for many reasons (e.g. income too low, or don't live in that state any longer) and unless the state gets info that a relevant federal return has been filed, do they come after you to ask why you haven't filed?
If you leave the US you not only have to consider the implications of paying federal taxes, you can end up being on the hook for state income taxes of the last state you lived in. It is however possible to sever those links by completely breaking all your links to that state, including selling or removing all registered property, including real estate, cars, and boats, and turning in your drivers license.

Also making sure that your name doesn't appear on any utility bill and that you don't use an in-state address on any bank or brokerage account, or pension or insurance company, whether a PO Box, or friend's or relative's address because those addresses, all of them, are collected and appear on commercially available identity and background check databases.

The issue doesn't arise when you move from state to state, because the state you move to automatically supplants the previous one you lived in when you switch your drivers license and update all your bank and other addresses, but when you leave the US you can end up with an unexpected and unnecessary state tax liability if you aren't diligent about severing all links.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 26th 2015 at 3:08 am.
Old Aug 29th 2015, 4:39 am

thinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
The OP was asking a question about whether spending time outside the US would affect his US citizenship after naturalising. My answer was relevant to the question being asked as my next sentence qualified, 'The length of time you reside outside the US is irrelevant'.

If the OP was asking a question about the extremely limited and unusual circumstances in which their US citizenship could lost involuntarily then my answer would've been different.

Whilst I think it unlikely that anyone else would be reading this thread worried about losing their US citizenship after having joined Islamic State or become a cabinet minister in a foreign government I am glad that you have now clarified the situation.

Some links:

Expatriating acts: Advice about Possible Loss of U.S. Nationality and Dual Nationality

Denaturalization: Revocation of Naturalization - Part L, Volume 12 | Policy Manual | USCIS
Old Aug 29th 2015, 5:25 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Here's a list of denaturalized USCs, though it is reportedly incomplete, but numbers only low-hundreds. With some cases going back to the 1930's it is obviously a fairly uncommon occurance.

Scanning down the list the names are almost entirely either war criminals (not necessarily WWII), terrorists/terrorist sympathizers, communist spies, and immigration fraudsters. The few others I noticed are other unsavory characters, such as drug dealers. I did see one who was born overseas and failed to come to live in the US for a minimum of five years, under the provisions of a law that was repealed in 1978.

For all practical puposes, becoming a USC is permanent unless you later voluntarily renounce the citizenship.
Irrelevant to Mr P's point, but...

After a quick look down the list, I am, surprised by the inclusion of Emma Goldman, who to the best of my knowledge was never a citizen and was deported as an alien.
edit: a little research, they got her under the Anarchist Exclusion Act, which only applied to non-citizensn. But it was claimed that the revocation of her husbands citizenship (for fraud, not in the list), removed hers too, so the Act applied.
http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive...669D946896D6CF

Last edited by kimilseung; Aug 29th 2015 at 6:04 am.
Old Aug 30th 2015, 3:37 am

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Irrelevant to Mr P's point, but...

After a quick look down the list, I am, surprised by the inclusion of Emma Goldman, who to the best of my knowledge was never a citizen and was deported as an alien.
edit: a little research, they got her under the Anarchist Exclusion Act, which only applied to non-citizens. .......
I saw her name, and something about anarchism, but her name means nothing to me. ...... I will go and consult Wikipedia.

[Five minutes later] ETA Just seems like a trouble maker. Not especially interesting to me.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 30th 2015 at 3:42 am.
Old Aug 30th 2015, 2:53 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmood
I assume that state tax depts DO get information from the IRS. When my daughter left New York State to live in Massachusetts, she got a letter here demanding a specific dollar amount for state taxes for the the previous year. This state tax bill was based on her IRS 1040.

I passed the NYS demand to her, she wrote back to the NYS tax folks with a photocopy of her MA tax return, and the matter was closed.
Old Sep 1st 2015, 11:18 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Some clever bugger on this website worked out that the State Dept. has to submit records to the FBI NICS database: The Isaac Brock Society | FBI NICS data disproves WSJ claim that U.S. citizenship renunciations are “leveling off”
Old Sep 1st 2015, 11:26 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

I have come to the conclusion the biggest downside to becoming a US citizen are the PFIC rules because I hadn't realized until recently just how much stuff the IRS considers to be a PFIC.

Obviously as soon as you move to the US a wide variety of investments and accounts you have outside the US can be covered by the PFIC rules but of course you're then subject to this nightmare if you ever leave the US, once you're a citizen.

It's more common in Canada because there are more Americans here, endless guff from financial advisors and planners about PFICs. "Oh you should invest in X because their fund complies with the PFIC rules so you can claim it as a QEF on Form 8621". The which on the what now?

The section 1291 stuff and the "mark-to-market" stuff is just unreal.

I'm sure I'm not the first person to realize this (probably among the last in fact) but the PFIC rules seem to me to have been dreamt up by Wall Street to stop Americans from investing abroad.
Old Sep 1st 2015, 11:34 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Originally Posted by industrystandard
Our plans are to go back to the UK in about 2 yrs to spend some time with our parents as they reach their later years. We will probably live back in the UK for a few years and are concerned about loosing our Green cards when we return to the US.

If we apply for citizenship ( therefore becoming dual citizens ) what are the implications tax wise? If i understand correctly we will have to do a tax return every year ( $250 from my man here in NJ ) and if we work in a country where the tax regime is lower than in the US ( Singapore for example) we would have to pay tax here. As the UK has a higher rate of tax than the US I don't see that as an issue.
If you've been an LPR for 8 years you're subject to the expatriation rules anyway, so it's a bit academic. The tax filing rules apply to LPRs as well, and you can't file as non-resident when you're an LPR as explained in the instructions for N-400. So in essence, if you want to come back to the US you will have to become US citizens. Have a read of: http://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/index.html

If you're actually planning on moving back to the US, I would say the trick to it is to keep as much of your investments and financial stuff in the US, thereby keeping the aggravation from PFIC rules, FBAR reporting and so on to a minimum. An ISA for example is considered a foreign trust and must be reported by you (on form 3520) and the FFI (on form 3520-A), but because they don't care about Americans and don't file the form, you have to do 3520-A which is next to impossible unless it's something simple like a cash ISA.

Another thing is the UK FATCA agreement which comes into force in 2017 (which strangely excludes ISAs as they're trusts, not "accounts").

That is going to cause various FFIs to stop doing business with US citizens I reckon.

Also - remember New Jersey has an estate tax which kicks in at quite a low limit and uses the same weird US estate tax rules which make it very beneficial to be a US citizen rather than an LPR. If you don't live in NJ then it's not as big of a problem as the US estate tax limit for married couples is nearly $12 million.
Old Sep 2nd 2015, 12:19 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
If you're actually planning on moving back to the US, I would say the trick to it is to keep as much of your investments and financial stuff in the US, thereby keeping the aggravation from PFIC rules, FBAR reporting and so on to a minimum. An ISA for example is considered a foreign trust and must be reported by you (on form 3520) and the FFI (on form 3520-A), but because they don't care about Americans and don't file the form, you have to do 3520-A which is next to impossible unless it's something simple like a cash ISA.
You should also make sure you comply with local tax rules....so for the UK you should avoid US funds that are not "UK Reporting Funds".
Old Sep 2nd 2015, 12:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

Another thing is the UK FATCA agreement which comes into force in 2017 (which strangely excludes ISAs as they're trusts, not "accounts").
Not that I have one any more, but all the advice I've ever seen states that because the rules ignore the financial wrapper, cash ISAs are treated by the US like normal bank accounts, and not any sort of trust. Do you have any links that show otherwise?
Old Sep 4th 2015, 4:14 am
Forum Regular

livinginUSA is an unknown quantity at this point

Wait - so the UK is gonna introduce something like FACTA?

Would it be for tax residents (like current UK taxes) or citizens (like the US)?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.