Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

The Great Big Cellphone Thread

The Great Big Cellphone Thread

Old Jul 28th 2012, 4:28 pm
is finally happy

Tel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to behold
Default Moving back with a new cellphone plan?

Hi everyone!

I was just wondering if anyone could post their experience with getting cell phone service(s) in the UK?

I'm planning on taking my iPhone with me, I'd prefer not to have to get a "disposable phone" as AT&T suggested, and my phone is still under contract (until Aug. 2013 ) I would like to know if it's still possible to unlock my phone, cancel my service here in the states, and then pick up a service in the UK instead.

If there's an easier way to do this, I'd totally be willing to consider it (even the disposable is not completely out of the question, just preferably avoided).

Thanks so much everyone! Also, if anyone else has cellphone related issues with relocating back, feel free to hijack away- this stuff is giving me headaches and I can't seem to find enough information.

Last edited by Tel8; Jul 28th 2012 at 6:01 pm.
Old Jul 28th 2012, 9:33 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back with a new cellphone plan?

Originally Posted by Tel8
Hi everyone!

I was just wondering if anyone could post their experience with getting cell phone service(s) in the UK?

I'm planning on taking my iPhone with me, I'd prefer not to have to get a "disposable phone" as AT&T suggested, and my phone is still under contract (until Aug. 2013 ) I would like to know if it's still possible to unlock my phone, cancel my service here in the states, and then pick up a service in the UK instead.

If there's an easier way to do this, I'd totally be willing to consider it (even the disposable is not completely out of the question, just preferably avoided).

Thanks so much everyone! Also, if anyone else has cellphone related issues with relocating back, feel free to hijack away- this stuff is giving me headaches and I can't seem to find enough information.
Ds took his iPhone 3gs with him when he left in June. He's using a cheapy PAYG right now waiting for something (software? Hardware? I don't know) so his iPhone can be unlocked and used over there.
Old Jul 29th 2012, 6:28 pm
Just Joined

intant has a brilliant futureintant has a brilliant futureintant has a brilliant futureintant has a brilliant futureintant has a brilliant futureintant has a brilliant futureintant has a brilliant future
Default Re: The Great Big Cellphone Thread

I'm going back to the UK in September with my iphone which is currently being sent away to be 'unlocked' ($80), while the phone is away for a week, the calls are forwarded to a cheap US PAYG phone so I don't loose any business calls.
Just before I leave I will 'port' my current cell telephone # to a 'magic jack' ($20 a year +$10 for the ported #). On arrival in the UK I'll buy a new mini sim card to put in my unlocked iphone. There'll be a small early termination fee to pay to At&T.
If this works I end up with an iphone I can use in the UK (where the same phone would cost 500 pounds) and a US telephone# in the UK that I can call the US with for nothing, and friends in the US can call me as if it was a US local call!
I hope it all works out................the guy at the AT&T store said it would !
Old Jul 29th 2012, 8:22 pm
MCROW

DeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really nice

Originally Posted by intant
I'm going back to the UK in September with my iphone which is currently being sent away to be 'unlocked' ($80), while the phone is away for a week, the calls are forwarded to a cheap US PAYG phone so I don't loose any business calls.
Just before I leave I will 'port' my current cell telephone # to a 'magic jack' ($20 a year +$10 for the ported #). On arrival in the UK I'll buy a new mini sim card to put in my unlocked iphone. There'll be a small early termination fee to pay to At&T.
If this works I end up with an iphone I can use in the UK (where the same phone would cost 500 pounds) and a US telephone# in the UK that I can call the US with for nothing, and friends in the US can call me as if it was a US local call!
I hope it all works out................the guy at the AT&T store said it would !
We have family in Wales and Australia, and by having SKYPE numbers in those places, as well as a City of London SKYPE number and a DC number, users of those numbers make a local call to talk to my wife on the Welsh and Oz numbers while business calls come to me from The City, DC, and two other places abroad.
Some are call forwarded to my office computer and some to the home computers.

Last edited by DeltaSierra70; Jul 29th 2012 at 8:23 pm. Reason: typo or three
Old Jul 30th 2012, 5:23 pm
is finally happy

Tel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to behold

Brilliant! This is what I was looking for essentially, although I'm not too worried about having a US number as I have skype instead for family (and social media for friends ;P ) But I do have another question for you: was your phone still under contract when you sent it off to be unlocked? Also, where did you send it? Thank you so much for your reply! I'm going to go ahead and see if AT&T can work with me on this- I already called them and they basically told me that I had no options other than adding their international plan or using a disposable phone because I was still under contract so I'm wondering if there's a way around that. Thanks though!

Originally Posted by DeltaSierra70
We have family in Wales and Australia, and by having SKYPE numbers in those places, as well as a City of London SKYPE number and a DC number, users of those numbers make a local call to talk to my wife on the Welsh and Oz numbers while business calls come to me from The City, DC, and two other places abroad.
Some are call forwarded to my office computer and some to the home computers.
LOOOOVE skype- I'm planning to set up a skype number or do what my uncle did and get myself a skype phone while I'm there depending on whether this move becomes permanent or not.

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Ds took his iPhone 3gs with him when he left in June. He's using a cheapy PAYG right now waiting for something (software? Hardware? I don't know) so his iPhone can be unlocked and used over there.
Yeah, this is essentially my problem as well- the only thing is, my contract won't be up until a few months after I finish my programme, and in the meantime we'll be stuck with the bill for a phone that I won't be able to use, so I was hoping I could break contract early maybe and have the phone unlocked? I dunno if I'd be able to do it by cancelling my service or something though... <-- sounds stupid, but I am a bit confused on that, the AT&T lady just made it worse
Old Jul 30th 2012, 5:28 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Been back 6 weeks and no one could unlock my Android tried everywhere its on a 6 months freeze in the US so I pay $10 a month just to keep the number.
Yes It's an AT&T network phone.

If you are moving back then AT&T will cancel your contract with no penalties because you are out of their coverage area

I bought a cell phone here a little Galaxy mini PAYG does everything I need, plus I have no credit in the UK so the contract idea was not going to happen.
Old Jul 30th 2012, 5:39 pm
Just Joined

intant has a brilliant futureintant has a brilliant futureintant has a brilliant futureintant has a brilliant futureintant has a brilliant futureintant has a brilliant futureintant has a brilliant future

AT&T will only tell you to get their outrageously priced international plan......I was lucky to speak to a disloyal employee, who has had a lot of business from me over the years! I'm still under contract until June 2013 and will have to pay an early termination fee (it's less if there's less than a year to go on the contract!) and yes, the phone can be unlocked while under contract, AT&T will not know it's unlocked!
I'm not cancelling until the last minute......when they 'port' my cell # I'll loose the plan that I've had a long time and is no longer available (unlimited data etc...).
If they want an outrageous early termination fee it might be cheaper to reduce your plan to the minimum through the end of the contract or, tell them you're moving abroad and where to shove it!
Old Jul 30th 2012, 5:43 pm
is finally happy

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Been back 6 weeks and no one could unlock my Android tried everywhere its on a 6 months freeze in the US so I pay $10 a month just to keep the number.

If you are moving back then AT&T will cancel your contract with no penalties because you are out of their coverage area

I bought a cell phone here a little Galaxy mini PAYG does everything I need, plus I have no credit in the UK so the contract idea was not going to happen.
We need to add a "hug" button to the forum. Thank you so much! Hopefully I won't have to wait to unlock my phone, but my biggest worry was being stuck with the bill for ages while being unable to use it- thank you thank you! I'll call AT&T then to cancel just before I leave (or maybe after )

@instant: LOL! I had to laugh at that one- "disloyal employee" ! That's lucky though that you found one that didn't just run you in circles like the lady I talked to (headache just from the memory). Yeah, I'm thinking I'll cancel just before I go - my current plan costs about $80 per month! I figured that adding that silly international plan was only going to make it skyrocket, and surely there are plans at least marginally cheaper in the UK- with any luck anyway.
Old Jul 30th 2012, 6:58 pm
Just Joined

@poppygirl - thanks for the tip about cancelling without a fee!

It's not marginally cheaper it's a fraction of the price! I found this 'giffgaff' deal for 10pounds a month PAYG 250minutes/unlimited text/unlimited data or the same with 800 minutes for 20 pounds. I'm paying $90 for much less than that with At&T !

https://giffgaff.com/freesim-2?click...+Saving+Expert
Old Jul 30th 2012, 7:29 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

It's not marginally cheaper it's a fraction of the price! I found this 'giffgaff' deal for 10pounds a month PAYG 250minutes/unlimited text/unlimited data or the same with 800 minutes for 20 pounds. I'm paying $90 for much less than that with At&T !

I have a buddy on Giff Gaff and he reckons that the calls drop alot of the time but its a good deal if it works in your area...I got 3 network £79.99 for the Galaxy mini and then 350 mins 3000 texts and inlimited internet all for £15 a month not bad I reckon.
http://www.three.co.uk/
Old Jul 30th 2012, 8:33 pm
is finally happy

I have a buddy on Giff Gaff and he reckons that the calls drop alot of the time but its a good deal if it works in your area...I got 3 network £79.99 for the Galaxy mini and then 350 mins 3000 texts and inlimited internet all for £15 a month not bad I reckon.
http://www.three.co.uk/
I seriously can't wait to get to get to England! Instant, the plan you mentioned is pretty much the same one that I have, and we're paying double the price for it!! I don't make a lot of phone calls generally speaking, (I'm a super texting maniac) so I don't mind too much about dropped calls (though hopefully it won't be as bad near central London?) But this what I was hearing from relatives- phone plans seem to be much more affordable- £15 per month is GENIUS Poppy girl, especially considering that I'll be paying for my phone as well as my education i.e. skint for the remainder of the year. So excited!
Old Jul 30th 2012, 9:24 pm
Just Joined

I can't wait either! I live in Illinois with some of the most expensive utilities in the US, I know it's going to be much more expensive for the car gas but the cars have much better mpg, and everything else is much cheaper! Utilities + Real Estate Taxes are currently around $2000 per month here, I think they're going to be 400 -600 pounds in the UK + no health insurance or co-pays to worry about.
Old Jul 31st 2012, 12:14 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Poppy! You moved back? or are you on a long holiday?
Old Jul 31st 2012, 3:03 am
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

Tel8 sounds like a lot of bother. I just walked up to a stand/shop in a mall once in the UK. Paid 20/25 pounds and waited while they unlocked my iPhone. ten minutes later I walked into o2 and purchased a pay as you go contract. My iPhone worked perfectly the whole time I was there (3 months etc). GPS worked fine.

Btw if your with ATT and going abroad you should be able to suspend your account, meaning no charges etc
Old Jul 31st 2012, 10:01 pm
is finally happy

I can't wait either! I live in Illinois with some of the most expensive utilities in the US, I know it's going to be much more expensive for the car gas but the cars have much better mpg, and everything else is much cheaper! Utilities + Real Estate Taxes are currently around $2000 per month here, I think they're going to be 400 -600 pounds in the UK + no health insurance or co-pays to worry about.
Wooow- that's a big difference, the way my mum complains you'd think they make you sell your firstborn in the UK! She keeps buying things for me to take with me and telling me that I can't get x there because "you know how England is..." but then yelling at me because I have a weight limit in my suitcases.

Originally Posted by vikingsail
Tel8 sounds like a lot of bother. I just walked up to a stand/shop in a mall once in the UK. Paid 20/25 pounds and waited while they unlocked my iPhone. ten minutes later I walked into o2 and purchased a pay as you go contract. My iPhone worked perfectly the whole time I was there (3 months etc). GPS worked fine.

Btw if your with ATT and going abroad you should be able to suspend your account, meaning no charges etc
Thank you Vikingsail! That's another great idea, especially since I'm not sure this move will be 100% permanent yet. If I suspend the account, then I should be able to get it unlocked and set myself up with a new contract until I eventually figure out whether I'm staying long term or not right? I'm going to look into it. Thanks so much though- I never would have known that! (Dratted AT&T customer service reps- that woman couldn't sound more bored )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.