Reload this Page >

Getting a job in the USA

Getting a job in the USA

Old Jan 28th 2008, 7:38 pm
Just Joined

happyuk07 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting a job in the USA

Hi,
I am considering seeking work in the USA. I am interested in finding out other people's experiences.

Could anyone please tell me how easy/difficult this currently is. I'm PhD-qualified with a lot of industrial experience in software engineering (electrical/mechanical environments) and some academic research. I've also had periods of unemployment and low paid jobs. I've got loads of what-ifs I'd like to clarify but my main ones are:

1. I'm 40 this year, would this and the fact I have 3 young children make it more difficult/impossible?
2. How did you manage to find work?
3. Can you rely on public transport or do you need to sort out a vehicle?
4. Is California prohibitively expensive?
5. Is gun and general crime anything to worry about or are things generally safe?
6. Has the recent credit crunch made things tougher, or has this been exaggerated by the UK media?

That ought to do for now! Apologies if this reads like an inquisition.

My main reasons for considering leaving the UK are climate, excessive taxation, the nanny state and a gut feeling that I have more in common with Yanks than Europeans. I also detest the way binge drinking has turned many UK cities into no-go areas.

Any feedback much appreciated,

Andy
Old Jan 28th 2008, 7:43 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting a job in the USA

Originally Posted by happyuk07
Hi,
I am considering seeking work in the USA. I am interested in finding out other people's experiences.

Could anyone please tell me how easy/difficult this currently is. I'm PhD-qualified with a lot of industrial experience in software engineering (electrical/mechanical environments) and some academic research. I've also had periods of unemployment and low paid jobs. I've got loads of what-ifs I'd like to clarify but my main ones are:

1. I'm 40 this year, would this and the fact I have 3 young children make it more difficult/impossible?
5. Is gun and general crime anything to worry about or are things generally safe?
6. Has the recent credit crunch made things tougher, or has this been exaggerated by the UK media?

My main reasons for considering leaving the UK are climate, excessive taxation, the nanny state and a gut feeling that I have more in common with Yanks than Europeans. I also detest the way binge drinking has turned many UK cities into no-go areas.

Andy
Take a look at the following ways to live in the US

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jan 28th 2008 at 7:47 pm.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 7:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Andy
It's a big country, and California is a big state. The answers to questions 3-6 are entirely dependent on where you want to live. And I don't believe age or number of children has any bearing on things, apart from how stressful the move will be for you. I don't think you have experienced much of life over here if you think you will be getting away from any of what you hate about the UK. Perhaps there are less drunk teenagers, but they are made up for by drunk adult drivers, since pubs tend to be in the middle of nowhere (at least here in suburban Chicagoland).
Old Jan 28th 2008, 7:57 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chicagojlo
It's a big country, and California is a big state. The answers to questions 3-6 are entirely dependent on where you want to live. And I don't believe age or number of children has any bearing on things, apart from how stressful the move will be for you. I don't think you have experienced much of life over here if you think you will be getting away from any of what you hate about the UK. Perhaps there are less drunk teenagers, but they are made up for by drunk adult drivers, since pubs tend to be in the middle of nowhere (at least here in suburban Chicagoland).
And hence we start on a long discussion about about where the OP should go. We need first to find out if he's coming -- and an initial read of his post says no. If he is coming, he's most likely going where he's sent, not where he wants to go.

But generally, he should check out OZ or NZ because unless he comes back with something pretty startling, he probably ain't coming at all.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 8:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
And hence we start on a long discussion about about where the OP should go. We need first to find out if he's coming -- and an initial read of his post says no. If he is coming, he's most likely going where he's sent, not where he wants to go.

But generally, he should check out OZ or NZ because unless he comes back with something pretty startling, he probably ain't coming at all.
At least with a PhD and experience there is a chance unlike 99.9% of the other posts about moving!
Old Jan 28th 2008, 8:16 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
At least with a PhD and experience there is a chance unlike 99.9% of the other posts about moving!
I was weighing that against his weird misconceptions about America and his reasons for becoming an expat. They tipped the balance.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 8:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Andy
First of all taxation isn't that much less when you factor everything in so don't just come because you read that Britain is 'going to the dogs'. The climate is certainly nicer in southern California but it can get very hot, also we get earthquakes and fires. Murder statistics are far worse here but what you have to do is carefully choose where you live and visit and it will probably not affect you. Housing in the nice bits is pretty pricey, depending where you live now. Generally there is little public transport, possibly more manageable in San Francisco.

Education I would say is OK but not that great, generally underfunded in the schools sector.

I don't know specifically about your industry but senior positions are usually obtained by networking. We came on a sabbatical in 2002 from which my husband eventually obtained a H1b vias to work here.

We are entering a recession by all accounts but possibly that might make buying a property slightly easier.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 8:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

At least he doesn't give "bloody immigrants' as his reason for wanting to leave the UK!
Old Jan 28th 2008, 8:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chicagojlo
At least he doesn't give "bloody immigrants' as his reason for wanting to leave the UK!
And he doesn't actually say that PC has gone mad...
Old Jan 28th 2008, 9:54 pm
Just Joined

happyuk07 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the feedback.

I agree every country has it's problems, but I think the reasons I gave for wanting to leave are valid ones.

The climate continues to be detestable even by our standards, yet more recent flooding. Most UK towns and cities at night are squalid and intimidating because of anti-social behaviour and cheap alcohol.

Gordon Brown's rates of stamp duty, his disgraceful attacks on inheritance, rocketing tax bills, dwindling pension funds... Need I say more about this larcenous nutcase we have in power here?

Chicagojlo the odd pissed adult miles from anywhere in Chicago I think would not bother me so much. But I've never been so I don't know anything.

Immigrants coming into the UK does not bother me, and is not a reason for me wishing to leave.

Do you think the opportunities for career progression are far higher than in the UK?

FatBrit: So what are my misconceptions about the USA? I listed a few of the things I dislike about the UK, and you assume that I think things are the opposite in the USA. No. I've not made any assumptions about the USA, for all I know things might be a 100 times worse. That's why I'm asking these questions and keeping an open mind.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 10:05 pm
Septicity

FatBrit: So what are my misconceptions about the USA? I listed a few of the things I dislike about the UK, and you assume that I think things are the opposite in the USA. No. I've not made any assumptions about the USA, for all I know things might be a 100 times worse. That's why I'm asking these questions and keeping an open mind.
I've not seen anything you wrote that said you understand America. If you read the posts on here, you'll find many of those are by people who understand or have started to understand America.

But it's all pretty irrelevant anyway. Have you chosen your visa yet? Because without the visa it's all pie in the sky! From what you wrote, an academic post might be a possibility. Beyond that, I saw nothing. Do you like academic life?
Old Jan 28th 2008, 10:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks for all the feedback.

I agree every country has it's problems, but I think the reasons I gave for wanting to leave are valid ones.

The climate continues to be detestable even by our standards, yet more recent flooding. Most UK towns and cities at night are squalid and intimidating because of anti-social behaviour and cheap alcohol.

Gordon Brown's rates of stamp duty, his disgraceful attacks on inheritance, rocketing tax bills, dwindling pension funds... Need I say more about this larcenous nutcase we have in power here?

Chicagojlo the odd pissed adult miles from anywhere in Chicago I think would not bother me so much. But I've never been so I don't know anything.

Immigrants coming into the UK does not bother me, and is not a reason for me wishing to leave.

Do you think the opportunities for career progression are far higher than in the UK?

You're welcome.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 10:32 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, but that goes fo pretty much anything.

Local rag

I generally walk to work, but you need a car. Or truck.

No more than London

On balance for me better here than UK, but like anything depends on your indiidual circumstances.

Not that I have noticed, seems no ends of pre approvals through my post box.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 1:10 am
Cpl Tony

cpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to all

Not to my knowledge. It all depends on the company that may hire you and how resiliant the kids are to change.

I personally went through monster.com, but I was already in country.
People looking to hire foreigners for high end positions......I'm afraid I don't know

This depends on the city. Here in Oklahoma City you need a vehicle.
But larger cities have better public transport. Again it all depends on where you go.

Not having personal experience, but I have heard it is the higher end of the country with higher costs, taxes and living expenses.

Again, it depends on where you move to in a given area.
You always hear on the news of crime, but its not something you should be looking over your shoulder all the time for.

The stock market has been taking a down turn, but it won't be a 'recession' unless it continues downward for another few months. The only way it is affecting me right now is my 401K (retirement plan). I'm unsure what the UK media has been saying, but the US media has been exaggerating it a lot.
Economic downturn, they happen all the time.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 1:33 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

The shite you listed at the end, you won't be escaping that, but anyway....

Being 40 shouldn't hurt you, but what'll make a big difference is if you have pre-existing conditions or family, as medical insurance is the big killer...Chances are, you'll be looking for an H1B, spouse wouldn't be able to work, but anyway...find a place quick as applications are open in April 1st and filled before the day is out for an Oct start.

Your field, there's plenty of jobs for people with experience, but set your sights across the country. The east coast is good, so it the south probably, and for cost of living.

Crime and gun culture, really depends on where you live, it's different in each state, and even without that state, just like any country.

This country is broke, people are foreclosing on homes, getting stiffed on medical etc...things are tough, no different to the UK, but you've got the NHS as a safety net, faults and all.

Public transport for the most part doesn't exist. San Fran, NY, Boston, a few other cities have it, but it's limited, in beantown, places that are close to the T are at a premium, so well expensive, those that are close to the T and close to good schools, even more expensive.

How you find a job, just like anywhere, you look online at the job websites, you look in the papers and you network. www.linkedin.com is a good resource, also any professional organisations you belong too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.