Reload this Page >

Getting a job in the US when moving from the UK

Getting a job in the US when moving from the UK

Old Sep 25th 2017, 3:35 pm
Forum Regular

JosiesJourney is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting a job in the US when moving from the UK

Hi All

Wondered what peoples experience of getting a job in the US was after you have moved there. We are going on my husband's L1 visa and I am doing the paperwork for my EAD so I can work when this comes through. So I am wondering if anyone has had this and how long it took to come through and also did you apply to recruiters or employers before the EAD was granted?

Any info on what background checks employers can do would be great - other than passport and reference, what else is there?

thanks

J
Old Sep 25th 2017, 4:05 pm
Forum Regular

deadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting a job in the US when moving from the UK

EAD is 3 to 4 months at the moment - so you'll have a break

My wife started with temp agencies almost straight away and got into property management. She went from glorified receptionist to Snr Property Manager of a skyscraper in 5 years.

You can apply for jobs - but you can't start until you have the EAD in hand, as on your first day they will ask to see your proof of status for I-9

As for background checks...it really depends. My one was pretty in depth - they called previous employers, ran credit checks and contacted my university to confirm my diploma.
Old Sep 25th 2017, 4:31 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for your reply - very reassuring! That's annoying it takes so long to come through but it's what I expected to be honest - having 3 children is no break I can assure you, I'd rather be at work ha ha!
Hopefully they can run credit checks in the Uk because I will have no history in the U.S although we have very good credit in the UK (all those credit cards I guess!). And hopefully the university will not have deleted my degree from 16 years ago.....
Old Sep 25th 2017, 4:36 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JosiesJourney
Thanks for your reply - very reassuring! That's annoying it takes so long to come through but it's what I expected to be honest - having 3 children is no break I can assure you, I'd rather be at work ha ha!
Hopefully they can run credit checks in the Uk because I will have no history in the U.S although we have very good credit in the UK (all those credit cards I guess!). .....
It is impossible for a business/ employer/ lender/ etc. in the US to run a credit check in the UK because of the UK DPA. Same applies to pretty much all other access to personal data files.

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 25th 2017 at 4:49 pm.
Old Sep 25th 2017, 4:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

GeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JosiesJourney
Hopefully they can run credit checks in the Uk because I will have no history in the U.S although we have very good credit in the UK (all those credit cards I guess!). And hopefully the university will not have deleted my degree from 16 years ago.....
I think the timing can vary.

I applied for my EAD in February and it was 42 days total from posting the form to having the card in my hand.

I didn't have to do biometrics either.
Old Sep 25th 2017, 5:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by deadshoppingmalls
As for background checks...it really depends. My one was pretty in depth - they called previous employers, ran credit checks and contacted my university to confirm my diploma.
This was also my experience. My company used an outside agency to do background searches.
Old Sep 29th 2017, 9:59 pm
Forum Regular

That's great! I'm keen to get back into work asap....also to get a break from kids