Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Getting a credit card in the US

Getting a credit card in the US

Old Jun 18th 2015, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

toluani is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting a credit card in the US

I recently relocated from the UK to the US on an L1 visa and wanted to share my experience securing a credit card with BoA.

based on my research on BritExpat and other sources I went to BoA to apply for a secured credit card and was surprised when the official told me about a program called "Bank at Work" where employees of partner companies transferred from abroad are able to open accounts with BoA and some other banks and also get credit cards based on their salary in the US instead of a credit score.

I went for it and got an unsecured credit card with $9k limit which was a pleasant surprise given I went in for a secured credit card expecting $500 limit.

One thing though is not all bank officials are aware of the program so for those transferring to the US, no harm asking.
Old Jun 18th 2015, 8:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting a credit card in the US

A quick google suggests the concept is not isolated to BoA.
Old Jun 18th 2015, 8:48 pm
Forum Regular

Yeah you are right. I mentioned in my post other banks as well. My point was just to make people aware as all my research pointed to getting a secured credit card and I wasn't aware of this option.

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
A quick google suggests the concept is not isolated to BoA.
Old Jun 19th 2015, 2:45 pm
Forum Regular

Simon89 is an unknown quantity at this point

A secured credit card is good for building up your credit quickly in America, right? Seems like a decent option for newbies as we won't have a US credit score. Haven't got the benefit of a Bank At Work scheme myself, but that sounds like a great option!
Old Jun 19th 2015, 3:54 pm
Forum Regular

I def agree Simon.

My point here was to highlight this option as well as I didn't see anything about it during all my research.

For those who cannot benefit from this option, the secured credit card is the next best option. That's what I went to apply for myself before I was told about the bank at work program.

Last edited by toluani; Jun 19th 2015 at 4:10 pm.
Old Jun 19th 2015, 3:58 pm
Forum Regular

Simon89 is an unknown quantity at this point

I know it will depend on the bank... but is a secured credit card something you can apply for when you first open an account as an alien? (I'll be entering on a K1 visa and applying for AOS after the wedding)

Or are they only likely to give you one of those if you at least have your EAD showing you can stay and work for a year?