Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Geeky husband wants to ship electronics hobby items ,any advice?

Geeky husband wants to ship electronics hobby items ,any advice?

Old Apr 20th 2017, 7:46 am
Forum Regular

S.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Geeky husband wants to ship electronics hobby items ,any advice?

Originally Posted by lizzyq
We brought over a 20 foot and a 40 foot shipping container. They held books, furniture (as we were using a container it saved buying new), kitchenware, our wedding present china & glassware, his crap, my crap, the kids' crap (but I was pretty ruthless with that!), a lathe, a honing machine, a cylindrical grinder, a laser cutter, more crap from our factory (including some of his late dad's crap), telescope parts etc etc. We bought the 20 foot container outright and it is being used as extra storage!

We also shipped over 2 101FC land rovers and spare parts in a 2nd 40 foot container.

And yes we did get rid of stuff in order to fit it into the space. Could we have ditched more? Almost certainly, but mostly the stuff that came over is useful. Did I leave stuff that I shouldn't have done? Almost certainly, but it is replaceable. Are we happy that we didn't get rid of everything? Definitely.

In essence, let him pack his stuff and bring it, especially if it keeps him happy, but make sure you bring your stuff too!
did you just say you brought your car over ? can u drive over there?
Old Apr 20th 2017, 11:48 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Geeky husband wants to ship electronics hobby items ,any advice?

Originally Posted by S.Susan
did you just say you brought your car over ? can u drive over there?
Vehicles have to be over 25 years old and substantially original, even if there was an identical model sold in the US, to be imported into the US and registered.

A Land Rover 101 is an early mid 1970's ex-military special vehicle designed primarily as a gun tractor, some were modification for use as ambulances or for radio communications. It's like nothing you ever saw, and not immediately recognizable by most people as a Landrover. Only about 2,600 of them were ever made.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 20th 2017 at 11:59 am.