Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Furniture shops

Furniture shops

Old Oct 1st 2017, 7:47 pm
Just Joined

Skala123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Furniture shops

Ok next question - where on earth can he buy a kettle and duvet covers?!
Old Oct 1st 2017, 7:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ecto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Skala123
Kettle Costco or Best Buy's, duvet IKEA.
Old Oct 1st 2017, 7:50 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Target, Walmart, Costco, Bed Bath & Beyond, Macy's...for both items.
Old Oct 1st 2017, 8:30 pm
Just Joined

Skala123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Definitely neither of them in the target he went to. Trip to Ikea is required I think!
Old Oct 1st 2017, 8:40 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely neither of them in the target he went to. Trip to Ikea is required I think!
I would buy cheap and cheerful stuff as you are in a rental. If you decide to stay and buy a house...then you can buy better furniture. It will also give you time to suss out the stores that sell furniture. I found a lot of it to be very different to what I was used to in the UK...either big and very old fashioned or 70's type stuff.
Old Oct 1st 2017, 10:16 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Bedbathandbeyond has the second best returns policy after costco. Keep the receipt and if anything goes wrong then you get a full refund up to 1 year. Bedbathandbeyond will sell kettles and duvet covers and most kitchen stuff. Look online and you'll get coupons too.

Costco online definitely has a kettle online. It might be in your local store as well.. May have some plain white duvet covers in a set.

I'm not a fan of target for electrical stuff. Their returns policy is not generous. Quality of bedlinen leaves a bit to be desired for the prices they charge.
Old Oct 1st 2017, 10:19 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
Bedbathandbeyond has the second best returns policy after costco. Keep the receipt and if anything goes wrong then you get a full refund up to 1 year. Bedbathandbeyond will sell kettles and duvet covers and most kitchen stuff. Look online and you'll get coupons too.

Costco online definitely has a kettle online. It might be in your local store as well.. May have some plain white duvet covers in a set.

I'm not a fan of target for electrical stuff. Their returns policy is not generous. Quality of bedlinen leaves a bit to be desired for the prices they charge.
I agree...Costco then BB&B have the very best returns policy. Usually stores have a 30 or 90 day returns policy.
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 11:02 am
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

It could depend on the size of the store he goes to. It's hard for some husbands (mine being a case in point) who do NOT love shopping & don't always thoroughly search or ask salespeople the right questions. Granted, salespeople in some of these stores are difficult to find & sometimes clueless.

He needs to make sure it's a "superstore" of whatever kind. In our area, Walmart is the only superstore, and has electric kettles but no duvet covers.

I would track down a salesperson and ask if they know where duvet covers are sold locally. they might not know what duvet covers are so he should ask where to buy linens & bedding. (In this country 'duvets' aren't quite so common, I've found.)
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 1:56 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
Haven't bought electronics there, but I do like the fact that, with a Target credit card, you get a small percentage off on each purchase and items bought online ship free and can be returned in store. I've never had a problem making a return.
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 2:42 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Haven't bought electronics there, but I do like the fact that, with a Target credit card, you get a small percentage off on each purchase and items bought online ship free and can be returned in store. I've never had a problem making a return.
I have...90 days you have to take any problem/faulty items up with the manufacturer,