Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Funniest / Most Ridiculous Questions You've Ever Been Asked?

Funniest / Most Ridiculous Questions You've Ever Been Asked?

Old Dec 31st 2006, 6:33 am
Forum Regular

bethel is a name known to allbethel is a name known to allbethel is a name known to allbethel is a name known to allbethel is a name known to allbethel is a name known to allbethel is a name known to allbethel is a name known to allbethel is a name known to allbethel is a name known to allbethel is a name known to all
Default Re: Funniest / Most Ridiculous Questions You've Ever Been Asked?

I used to work for a bookstore answering the phone and taking orders for books. I had many a funny conversation. One guy got all excited when he heard my accent and said that his favourite place in britain was the Isle of Man.
" d'you know what language they speak on the Isle of Man?" he asked. " Er.. no" I answered. " Yiddish!" he announced. " thats amazing" I said, diplomatically.
Old Dec 31st 2006, 6:38 am
Forum Regular

bethel is a name known to allbethel is a name known to allbethel is a name known to allbethel is a name known to allbethel is a name known to allbethel is a name known to allbethel is a name known to allbethel is a name known to allbethel is a name known to allbethel is a name known to allbethel is a name known to all

But, y'know, I was hitching in the west of Ireland a few years ago and I got picked up by a sweet old guy who had St Christophers and Prayers for the Traveller plastered all over his dashboard, never drove above 15 miles an hour. When I told him I was from Wales he said enthusiastically " ah, sure now, Wales is a beautiful place, just up north of Scotland there somewhere, eh?"
Old Dec 31st 2006, 4:31 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally
In-laws think it is one big drive-by shooting here.
This reminded me of something I read about on an expat website years ago when I was living in Chile. An American guy was living in Japan as an English teacher, and his mother was super terrified that something bad was going to happen to him. Every time she mailed him a letter, she included one or two news clippings about something bad that had happened in Japan -- an earthquake, criminal activity, someone's death, etc. It didn't matter if these things happened near him -- if they happened in Japan, she sent it. His constant protestations that everything was alright fell on deaf ears, and after a few months of this he grew tired of it.

So he decided to turn the tables. One month when he sent a letter back to her, he included a dozen or so clippings from the English-language newspapers about all the horrible things going on in the United States. Articles about school rampages, mothers killing their children, corporate fraud, drive-by shootings, massive floods, out-of-control wildfires, you name it. He then said in his letter that after reading all of these articles, he was afraid to return to the US when his teaching stint was over.

She got the hint and stopped sending the articles.

~ Jenney
Old Dec 31st 2006, 6:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Dumb Question No.1:

So, you're from Liverpool........did you know any of the Beatles????

Answer:

Unfortunately, no......did you know Elvis Presley????

Jim.
Old Dec 31st 2006, 6:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Re: Funniest / Most Ridiculous Questions You've Ever Been Asked?

[QUOTE=elfman;4237104]Don't want to sound rude and unwelcoming here, but we've had easily several dozen threads on this subject and I'm not the only one who's starting to get a bit tired of them. They tend to piss off the American members of this board and in my experience they're not representative of the American people I meet on a day to day basis. /QUOTE]

Perhaps it's just me, but, I thought this Website was called BRITISH EXPATS

Jim
Old Dec 31st 2006, 7:19 pm
Account Closed

gardnma will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by gdjones
I was just reading through the tread about the US and UK's 'Special Relationship' and found myself laughing aloud at some of the responses, so continui............................that 'I shouldn't be embassed' that he couldn't understand me 'It'll Come' - that was after I'd told him 3 or 4 times that I grew up in London

I once told someone I was from England and the question came back:
"Oh, were you a serf?"

NB: This was in California.....
Old Dec 31st 2006, 8:04 pm
No income tax no V.A.T.

Rodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Toontje
The fact that we're part of BE's furniture doesn't give us the right to slag off newbies. If you're a member of BE long enough you will always see the same kind of threads appear, posted by newbies. It's inevitable. If you don't like threads like this one, don't read them. Simple as that.

Neither you nor I have the right to condemn a newbie for his effort to have some fun. When you and I were newbies we found threads like these funny, now don't deny the newbies from a couple of years later that same fun.
Top man........ I never understand why people come on here telling everybody else how bored they are with goings on. If they don't like it then why don't they simply f**k off.

Quite frankly, if people come on here and take it seriously, then they will get bored and often offended.

P.S. Where's the bloody spell check gone
Old Dec 31st 2006, 8:19 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have central heating in England? (We huddle with the farm animals in winter to stay warm)

Do you guys celebrate Christmas? we used to but parliament passed a law last year banning it so I'm afraid there is no more christmas in England.. no one knows for sure what is going to happen this year.

Is there color television where you come from? depending on my mood: In colorado, we do have colour television. Our neighbours do, I've seen it from time to time, ofcourse, they are not as fancy as what you have over here though.

"If it weren't for us, you'd be speaking german" Maybe so, but if it weren't for us, you'd wouldn't be here in the first place! (not entirely true, but its enough to shut them up)

"We kicked your butts." We weren't even trying.

Still, we aren't entirely off the hook. When back in the UK, I have been asked stupid things too.

So, you live in Colorado, why is Denver called the Mile High City?

Is the snow real in Colorado?

California is near New York isn't it?

My favorite - Do you ever get asked stupid questions?

Last edited by Tarkak9; Dec 31st 2006 at 8:21 pm.
Old Jan 1st 2007, 11:46 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

My niece who works check-in at Gatwick, has been asked more than once "Where does the plane stop first?" by passengers looking at the destination board, assuming it worked like a bus.
Old Jan 1st 2007, 2:27 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gardnma
I once told someone I was from England and the question came back:
"Oh, were you a serf?"

NB: This was in California.....
You sure he wasn't asking if over there you surf? It was CA as you say.
Old Jan 1st 2007, 2:49 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ironporer
You sure he wasn't asking if over there you surf? It was CA as you say.
No, he didn't have all his oars in the water.....
Old Jan 1st 2007, 3:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gardnma
No, he didn't have all his oars in the water.....
Sounds like a surfer dude to me....
Old Jan 1st 2007, 3:16 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

:scared: A Senior Memeber of the Chamber of Commerce came into my office the other day and asked me (How I kept a straight face is beyond me).

Man :I was thinking of taking the wife to the UK but she wants to go to London?

Me: So thats nice when are you going?

Man: Well I would really like to see the London as well but it would be a shame to miss the UK?????????????

Me: Sorry you lost me?

Man:I think it would be a long way to be stuck on an Island for so long and not get to see the rest of the UK.
:scared:

Rodney I agree where the heck is the spell check? I am in trouble without that.
Old Jan 1st 2007, 3:24 pm
Account Closed

In my last job the German secretary told me she thought I sounded like the talking Gecko on the Geico adverts.......

I told her she sounded like an excerpt from the Nuremburg rallies.
Our working relationship was never quite the same again.....
Old Jan 1st 2007, 6:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

basementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
Don't want to sound rude and unwelcoming here, but we've had easily several dozen threads on this subject and I'm not the only one who's starting to get a bit tired of them. They tend to piss off the American members of this board and in my experience they're not representative of the American people I meet on a day to day basis. Perhaps it's because I live in the apparently liberal/secular/book-reading New York area and not Hogbutt Tennessee, but I just don't meet many dim Americans.

Yes there are obviously Americans out there who ask dumb questions and appear to be less than well-versed in world geography/history/culture, but this phenomenon is not confined to the USA. When I worked as a tour guide at the Intrepid Museum in New York I got asked daft questions on a daily basis, and they were pretty evenly distibuted among Yanks and non-Yanks.

Also I remember back in the UK a mate of mine had a girlfriend (who was training to be a teacher) who thought Wales was an island and could not pin down the start or finish dates of World War two to within two decades.
Erm, my wife is from hogbutt tennessee. bet shes better travelled than you are! (via plane and not tractor!) so try not to piss off the brits eh!

oh, and the funniest thing i heard a bird say recently was whilst watching the ashes, she asked how the teams could tell each other apart as they were all wearing the same kit

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.