Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Front Loading Washing Machines

Front Loading Washing Machines

Old Oct 5th 2005, 12:52 pm
~ Mr & Mrs ~

mvjenno has a brilliant futuremvjenno has a brilliant futuremvjenno has a brilliant futuremvjenno has a brilliant futuremvjenno has a brilliant futuremvjenno has a brilliant futuremvjenno has a brilliant future
Default Re: Front Loading Washing Machines

I love my Kenmore HE3...will never have a top loader again!

To all who have front loaders...did you buy pedestals? We bought pedestals for the washer and dryer, but found detergent bottles don't actually fit inside without laying them down
Old Oct 5th 2005, 1:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladyofthelake
Ah, so I'm not the only one who ends up with crappy stained clothes then!
Have you two tried waiting till the drum is completely full of water? I've had this happen before, but it happened because I was putting the fabric softener in before the water was around the clothes.
Old Oct 5th 2005, 1:33 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

After 6 years of crappy top loaders I treated myself to a Whirlpool front loader and have never looked backed. It's two years old now and I've never had any problems. It washes 10 times better with less water and less liquid. Yes it was more expensive than a top loader, but in the longterm it has saved me money.
Old Oct 5th 2005, 1:37 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by MJC
I thought she had the baby a year AFTER you had the snip!!!

No wonder the neighbours are so friendly!!!
Old Oct 5th 2005, 1:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Have you two tried waiting till the drum is completely full of water? I've had this happen before, but it happened because I was putting the fabric softener in before the water was around the clothes.
The problem with staining and top loaders is because they fill with water and drain from the bottom. This means that all the crap that was just washed out of your clothes sits on the top of the water and then lowers itself onto your clothes as it drains. It's why there is always soap left on your clothes and they don't get as clean as they might. The difference with a front loader is that the water doesn't cover the clothes so they drain the dirt away more effectively.
Old Oct 5th 2005, 1:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
The problem with staining and top loaders is because they fill with water and drain from the bottom. This means that all the crap that was just washed out of your clothes sits on the top of the water and then lowers itself onto your clothes as it drains. It's why there is always soap left on your clothes and they don't get as clean as they might. The difference with a front loader is that the water doesn't cover the clothes so they drain the dirt away more effectively.
Yes. But anything put into the water would dissolve, wouldn't it?
Old Oct 5th 2005, 2:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Yes. But anything put into the water would dissolve, wouldn't it?
If is designed to yes, but it is still there, just solution with the water. It's the same thing as getting a ring round the bath, all the non soluble stuff floats to the top and sticks to what it can when you drain. The stuff that is soluble will get into your clothes, then when the water drains and fills again it will come out of your clothes and back into the solution and then back into your clothes, etc. The amount dissolved in the solution is less and less each time, but it is still there.
Old Oct 5th 2005, 2:10 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

A big problem with my washer is the lock on the central conditioner dispenser can become unlocked. If I forget to relock it each time I put some washing in, it falls off during the spin cycle and pours neat conditioner directly onto the clothes
Old Oct 5th 2005, 2:27 pm
Stuff and Nonsense

Russ&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond repute

We have a Kenmore and it's ok but not the best. It doesn't heat up the water which is crucial to get a decent wash. I also find that the washes just aren't long enough. But if it's a choice between a top loader and a front, well, there is no competition. I can't believe they have those boxes of junk over here. Just been home for a visit and used me mam's washer and my clothes are in shock from being so clean. It's enuff to make yer weep
Old Oct 5th 2005, 5:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladyofthelake
Ah, so I'm not the only one who ends up with crappy stained clothes then!
You and a lot of Americans I suspect!
Old Oct 5th 2005, 7:55 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Front Loading Washing Machines

Oddly enough the very same discussion is taking place here:

http://pub34.bravenet.com/forum/2868829928/show/617472
Old Oct 5th 2005, 8:14 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
but we don't have 220V in our place.
What does your range/cooker plug into? I thought they were all 220?
Old Oct 5th 2005, 11:48 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
What does your range/cooker plug into? I thought they were all 220?
We have gas range, heating, 'fireplace', and dryer. That's probably why the builder left out the 220V. I thought about putting it in, but it would appear to be an expensive job for my particular place.
Old Oct 6th 2005, 12:25 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Russ&Jayne
We have a Kenmore and it's ok but not the best. It doesn't heat up the water which is crucial to get a decent wash. I also find that the washes just aren't long enough. But if it's a choice between a top loader and a front, well, there is no competition. I can't believe they have those boxes of junk over here. Just been home for a visit and used me mam's washer and my clothes are in shock from being so clean. It's enuff to make yer weep
My Maytag front loader is the model that includes the internal heater. It's basically a button that one presses for use in the winter to ensure that the temperature for warm or hot is sufficient since the water entering the machine at that time of year will be much colder.

I didn't consider buying a pedestal for either the washer and dryer (we purchased both at the same time) 'cos I have no back problems nor knee problems.

NC Penguin
Old Oct 6th 2005, 12:27 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
My Maytag front loader is the model that includes the internal heater.
Always go for the heater. It's usually an option.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.