Reload this Page >

Frequent traveling to the UK

Frequent traveling to the UK

Old Nov 20th 2017, 8:27 pm
Just Joined

ashigri is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Frequent traveling to the UK

Hi
I am married to a UK citizen, both us live in the US and both of us have Green Cards.We have been traveling to the UK almost every year or two years. Since my wife has a UK passport so going to the UK for her is no problem but whenever I have to travel to the UK, I have to go through the short term visa process.
I was just wondering if there was anything available for someone in my situation that I can apply for and be able to travel to the UK for short periods of time without the lengthy visa process every time, considering that my wife is a UK citizen?

Thank you.
Old Nov 20th 2017, 9:21 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Frequent traveling to the UK

And what country are you a citizen of?

If you are from a country that requires a visa to visit the UK, you will still need to obtain the visa (unless you get one that is valid for several years, multiple entry, if such a thing exists). Being married to a UKC gives you no special leeway.

If you become a USC, you will be able to visit the UK for up to 6 months per visit, without a visa.

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Nov 20th 2017 at 9:24 pm.
Old Nov 20th 2017, 9:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

You can apply for a General Visitor visa which will last 5 or 10 years (depends on how much you want to pay for a visa)

You can still only stay up to 6 months in any one year, but you don't have to keep applying for the visa for each visit.

See the visa page below:

https://www.gov.uk/standard-visitor-visa

No, there is no special visa you can get just because you are married to a Brit.
Old Nov 20th 2017, 9:41 pm
Just Joined

Thank for your replies.
Noorah I remember you helping me on here with some H1 and H4 visa questions when I was planning to get married, that was over 4 years ago! I hope you are doing well!
I am a citizen of Pakistan so I know I do require a visa to visit the UK. I just thought that maybe there was a residency or something I could apply for there but that wouldn't require me to live there.

SanDiegogirl - There is a long term visa option for up to ten years but that is much more expensive option unless I actually do travel every year or more than once a year.
Old Nov 20th 2017, 10:10 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

You can either apply for a visa for each visit as you do now or pay extra for two, five or ten years validity. It's up to you when the extra cost is worth avoiding the hassle. Alternatively you can naturalise as a US citizen and visit the UK visa free on your US passport although you would lose your Pakistani citizenship.
Old Nov 20th 2017, 10:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
You can either apply for a visa for each visit as you do now or pay extra for two, five or ten years validity. It's up to you when the extra cost is worth avoiding the hassle. Alternatively you can naturalise as a US citizen and visit the UK visa free on your US passport although you would lose your Pakistani citizenship.
Really? I thought Pakistan allowed dual citizenship with the US.
Old Nov 20th 2017, 10:41 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169
Without checking I think the only country Pakistan permits dual citizenship with is the UK.
Old Nov 20th 2017, 11:25 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

So did I.
Old Nov 20th 2017, 11:52 pm
Forum Regular

BigK is an unknown quantity at this point

Get a visa for atleast the duration until you become a USC. Thats the only way. UK will not grant you any residency unless you actually live there for a period...
Old Nov 21st 2017, 1:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ashigri
Thank for your replies.

SanDiegogirl - There is a long term visa option for up to ten years but that is much more expensive option unless I actually do travel every year or more than once a year.

There is no residency visa to suit your situation. You either pay 89.00 GBP for a visitor visa for each visit or for a long term visitor visa.

As you don't appear to travel every year, then the lengthy visa process cannot be too onerous.
Old Nov 21st 2017, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Without checking I think the only country Pakistan permits dual citizenship with is the UK.
Originally Posted by Boiler
So did I.
My mistake. You are both correct; you can also retain your Pakistani citizenship if naturalising in Sweden and the US. Simple solution to the OP's problem as and when he qualifies.
Old Nov 21st 2017, 4:56 pm
Just Joined

Thank you everyone for your replies! Short term visa until I get the US citizenship seems like the best option.