Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Free Cup of Tea (AND a Sticky Bun???)

Free Cup of Tea (AND a Sticky Bun???)

Old Jul 14th 2016, 5:50 am
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Free Cup of Tea (AND a Sticky Bun???)

Give me a shout if you hit the East Bay (SF Bay Area)- in the mean time, enjoy your trip (and your free refills)
Old Jul 14th 2016, 1:51 pm
Forum Regular

Teckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wintersong
Give me a shout if you hit the East Bay (SF Bay Area)- in the mean time, enjoy your trip (and your free refills)
Must be the free refills....before you know it he will be hooked and asking about options to move to Florida 😜
Old Jul 14th 2016, 2:47 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
Is that the small or regular size ones
Originally Posted by Teckelspass
I bet she means the regular ones....� ����
Regular size Pecanbons with extra icing obvies, The Great State of Texas does not recognise the sizes small or mini nor the concept of calories
Old Jul 14th 2016, 3:17 pm
Forum Regular

Teckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz
Regular size Pecanbons with extra icing obvies, The Great State of Texas does not recognise the sizes small or mini nor the concept of calories

Here in California we may be a tad more calorie conscious but I happily discard such consciousness for the occasional Cinnamon bun!
Old Jul 14th 2016, 5:16 pm
Forum Regular

Colin Robinson is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
Well....
Ha ha! But it's actually point one to point several hundred thousand! YOU try to look at a website that tells you how to go from east to west and figure out the reverse!!!!!

Then send the directions to me....... please?
Old Jul 24th 2016, 4:21 am
Forum Regular

I have made it to Las Vegas (well I did say I'd have to do SOME of the touristy places) but the trouble is, I have done so in 18 days? What, then, do I do with the following 70 days?

I have discovered Airbnb and this fantastic site called "Couchsurfers" but as people put you up for free, it's not always easy finding someone to host you and when you do, it's impolite (and unlikely to be successful) to ask them if you can stay for a few weeks!

So the journey continues. I post my (latest planned) itinerary below and have just one question for all you wonderful contributors to this forum:-

Do you know of anyone who could put me up for a day or more in or around any of these locations please? Do please have a think and ask around for me? I would be willing to pay if they don't want too much and if they're willing to take some time to talk to me as I have found some wonderful hosts so far and have learned a LOT about the US I didn't know!!! I would love to learn more.....

Thanks all of you.....

Oh, by the way - It's not that I'm particularly planning to STAY at any of these places - I have just listed them so when I get to one, I can set my SatNav for the next one which makes it follow the route I want it to. Hope that makes sense?

LAS VEGAS – NEVADA
BEATTY
GOLDFIELD
HAWTHORNE
MONA CITY – CALIFORNIA
BUCK MEADOWS
SAN FRANSISCO
PESCADERO
BIG SUR
SAN SIMEON
LOS ANGELES
SANTA MONICA
MARINA DEL RAY
MANHATTAN BEACH
RANCHO PALOS VERDES
LONG BEACH
SUNSET BEACH
EMERALD BAY
SAN DIEGO
TUSCON – ARIZONA
WILLCOX
LORDSBURG – NEW MEXICO
SILVER CITY
RESERVE
DATIL
SOCORRO
LAS CRUCES
ROSWELL
PLAINS – TEXAS
BROWNFIELD
LAMESA
BIG SPRING
SAN ANGELO
EDEN
BRADY
LAMPASAS
ROGERS
CAMERON
BRENHAM
LIBERTY
BEAUMONT
LAKE CHARLES – LOUISIANA
LAKE ARTHUR
ABBEVILLE
NEW IBERIA
CHARENTON
AMELIA
RACELAND
DES ALLEMANDS
WESTWEGO
ARABI
PEARLINGTON
PASS CHRISTIAN
BILOXI
GULFPORT
MOSS POINT
THEODORE – ALABAMA
SPANISH FORT
FAIRHOPE
FOLEY
MYRTLE GROVE – FLORIDA
PENSACOLA
DESTIN
PANAMA CITY BEACH
MEXICO BEACH
EASTPOINT
ST TERESA
MEDART
NEWPORT
PERRY
BRANFORD
HAGUE
ALACHUA
EVINSTON
LOWELL
KENDRICK
SANTOS
THE VILLAGES
LEESBURG
TAVARES
ZELLWOOD
ORLANDO
Old Jul 24th 2016, 6:38 am
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

I've tried to write a post several times and deleted it each time because it seems to be coming across rude, which I really don't want to do.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but... if you've got 70 days left and are wondering what to do with them, why wouldn't you want to experience some of the amazing sights that the US has to offer? Sometimes places are touristy for a damn good reason.

I guess I'm just confused as to why you appear to want to stay as far away as possible from some of the most incredible natural beauty on the planet.
Old Jul 24th 2016, 6:09 pm
Forum Regular

That's not rude at all Wintersong? The fact is I would LOVE to see some of the natural beauty America has to offer - I've "done" the Blue Ridge Parkway, Colorado (most of which was breathtaking!), the Tennessee "traps", State and National parks along the way and, of course, the Grand Canyon and now Vegas which, while not "beautiful", is still amazing!

I resented paying $10 to stand on an arbitrary point that joins 4 states, but I have seen some wonderful sights..... However, prices nearby most of these "specific" points have been daylight robbery - Petrol and even McD's DOUBLE around them and the people, in their multitudes, drive me.........

Anyway, the best days I have had out here have been when I have fallen into conversation with people and/or had the chance to talk to people who have "hosted" me. Frankly, if I spent the next 70 days meeting interesting people like that, I would count my trip a great success!

But I am looking forward to California (as an old hippy at heart!) and the coastal route back to Orlando should prove interesting....?

I just need places to stay.........?
Old Jul 24th 2016, 6:56 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Originally Posted by Colin Robinson
That's not rude at all Wintersong? The fact is I would LOVE to see some of the natural beauty America has to offer - I've "done" the Blue Ridge Parkway, Colorado (most of which was breathtaking!), the Tennessee "traps", State and National parks along the way and, of course, the Grand Canyon and now Vegas which, while not "beautiful", is still amazing!

I resented paying $10 to stand on an arbitrary point that joins 4 states, but I have seen some wonderful sights..... However, prices nearby most of these "specific" points have been daylight robbery - Petrol and even McD's DOUBLE around them and the people, in their multitudes, drive me.........

Anyway, the best days I have had out here have been when I have fallen into conversation with people and/or had the chance to talk to people who have "hosted" me. Frankly, if I spent the next 70 days meeting interesting people like that, I would count my trip a great success!

But I am looking forward to California (as an old hippy at heart!) and the coastal route back to Orlando should prove interesting....?

I just need places to stay.........?
When are you looking to be in the Bay Area?
Old Jul 24th 2016, 7:05 pm
Forum Regular

I am leaving Vegas tomorrow so much depends on what accommodation I can find between here and SF? I would HOPE in a couple of weeks but the way things are going, it's more likely to be in a couple of days!
Old Jul 24th 2016, 9:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

I am leaving Vegas tomorrow so much depends on what accommodation I can find between here and SF? I would HOPE in a couple of weeks but the way things are going, it's more likely to be in a couple of days!
Colin
You might try stopping at some small town motels, explain your desires to stay put several days and try to get a greatly reduced weekly rate. No room cleaning required, infrequent need for new towels and sheets, etc. if their facility is not full every nite you may get some very good deals. Best to try this early while the owner is still around as nite clerk can't make deals.

Last edited by ddsrph; Jul 24th 2016 at 9:05 pm.
Old Jul 24th 2016, 9:27 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ddsrph
Colin
You might try stopping at some small town motels, explain your desires to stay put several days and try to get a greatly reduced weekly rate. No room cleaning required, infrequent need for new towels and sheets, etc. if their facility is not full every nite you may get some very good deals. Best to try this early while the owner is still around as nite clerk can't make deals.
Someone kindly suggested that a while ago and I have been stopping at empty-looking, VERY run down "Mom and Pop" motels in the smaller towns and even asked for several nights to a week and a Senior Discount but have invariably found their "best" price to be more than the chains?

To be honest, I'd be a Happy Camper or would love to find cheap motels, but I have found my first choice would be to stay with People (a la Airbnb or Couchsurfing) who have the time to talk to me now and again? Call me weird () but I am loving meeting people....
Old Jul 30th 2016, 10:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

I don’t know if I’m allowed to post this on here as I am not able to LIVE in the US (sigh!) but I am coming for 3 months and hope to be able to meet up with some nice people?

I tried a different forum to this one and wasted a large part of my life arguing with two very aggressive, sarcastic people (one of whom was a moderator!) about visas – which I didn’t even ask about! - so I’m hoping this might be the forum for me?

I am landing in Orlando on the 5th. July 2016 and have a rough “Itinerary” for my road trip which I give below. I am not a history buff, nor a “Must see every wonderful Park possible” person but do love people so I am “looking” for small-town America? What I am hoping to find on this forum is:-

* People who live somewhere near my route who may be willing to meet up for my offered “Tea and Bun”?
* Suggestions for “Things I should see” and “Places I should go” that aren’t already on my plans?
* Any offers or suggestions (beyond Airbnb who are already at the top of my “Favourites” list!) for cheap places I could stay for a night or two on my travels?

The route at the moment is:-

OUT:- Jacksonville (Sally Corp Animatronic Factory, the Federal Reserve Bank and Budweiser), Georgia (Savannah), South Carolina (Coast to Charleston), North Carolina, Tennessee (Nashville), Arkansas, Missouri (South), Kansas (South), Colorado (South), Utah (South, Zion Park), (North) Arizona (Grand Canyon), Nevada (Central/North), California (Coast Highway 101)
back (sigh!):- California (Yosemite), Nevada (Las Vegas) Arizona (Grand Canyon), New Mexico (Santa Fe), Oklahoma (Oklahoma City), Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia

Thank you – and I hope to meet some of you soon?

Colin
Colin
How is the trip going? Where are you now?
Old Jul 31st 2016, 3:17 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ddsrph
Colin
How is the trip going? Where are you now?
I'm in San Francisco and it is every bit as foggy as they say! My problem is I am less than 4 weeks into a 13 week trip and am already turning for "home" (Orlando). That wouldn't be a problem as I would have just gone back earlier than planned but the stupid idea the Americans have recently come up with where I had to book my return flight before they'd let me in the country means that can't happen! I'm here until the 1st. October, like it or not!

Thanks for asking!
Old Jul 31st 2016, 3:19 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Wintersong
I am in the SF Bay Area! Well, staying in a place called "Lagunitas" which I gather is somewhere in the Bay area? Fancy a beer one day? It'll have to be soon though as I am being booted out soon and can't find anywhere else to stay so it's likely off to LA?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.