Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Fly to Canada on USA Visa/PR (then drive to USA)

Fly to Canada on USA Visa/PR (then drive to USA)

Old Nov 27th 2017, 5:12 pm
Forum Regular

Jaag is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Fly to Canada on USA Visa/PR (then drive to USA)

I am planing to fly to Europe in the new year, and flights are pretty cheap ($330 return cheap). And whilst Detroit would be super convenient, it's also super expensive, my American friends regularly use Toronto-Pearson airport (4 hour drive) as a much cheaper route to Europe.

I know I can enter Canada and get back to USA at Windsor no problem; I also know I can fly to Europe on my UK passport (for now!); and I know I can fly into Canada without a visa (ESTA required presumably?).

But what I don't know is what the Canada border control would do to handle my case, I am entering Canada, with no return flight, no connecting flight to USA (as I would drive) and no Canadian visa/residency. Obviously they let USA citizens through, what about Green Card holders, or Visa holders?

Toronto has US border control within it for flights to the US to arrive as domestic US flights. Does that specifically help the situation?

Does anybody have any first hand experience of doing this, or am I asking for trouble on return? Should I just pay more and fly in/out of the USA?
Old Nov 27th 2017, 6:31 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fly to Canada on USA Visa/PR (then drive to USA)

I always do this, but I've been a US citizen since 2006. From 1996 till 2006, I did what you are describing - drove from northern New York State to Ottawa, then flew to London. Then same thing in reverse. Never had a problem, just handed Canadian, and US, border guards my British passport and US green card.

The fact that YYZ and YOW have US border facilities is irrelevant to your trip. You won't pass through them.