Florida, California or UK?!

Old Feb 10th 2014, 3:12 am
Forum Regular

Hurley1 will become famous soon enoughHurley1 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Florida, California or UK?!

Lovin the feedback, thanks everyone!
Old Feb 10th 2014, 4:11 am
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hurley1
Thanks Mark, whereabouts in CA are you? How long have u lived there?
Ok, well I live in what would be considered NorCal, even though it's actually central coast, so slightly different. I've been here just a year, been coming out regularly for 12 years. It's chilled out here, people are friendly, weather is great, everyone (in my experience) love the Brits, there's enough british influence out here to give you that connection with home, the only minus is it's bloody expensive.
Old Feb 10th 2014, 7:51 am
Forum Regular

Britsimon is a splendid one to beholdBritsimon is a splendid one to beholdBritsimon is a splendid one to beholdBritsimon is a splendid one to beholdBritsimon is a splendid one to beholdBritsimon is a splendid one to beholdBritsimon is a splendid one to beholdBritsimon is a splendid one to beholdBritsimon is a splendid one to beholdBritsimon is a splendid one to beholdBritsimon is a splendid one to behold

I'm in the, UK at the moment (well, for another 10 days). I lived in Miami (Doral area) for 8 years and have done a number of short term contracts in various parts of the USA including a lot of time in SF Bay area. Like you, we could, pretty much, live anywhere we wanted - without money concerns , the decision is about quality of life, safety, culture, ability to travel and so on.

For us, USA beats UK in several important areas. Not by much, I have to say, and what pips it in the end is the weather. Miami doesn't seem "real" so after a few years I was happy to leave. Fun for a holiday - or even an extended period but not more than that. For us, SF Bay area takes it. It is expensive compared to Miami, but it is the best combination that we have found. San Diego is also an awesome city.

However, your choice at the end of the day depends on where you fit in, so try before you buy....
Old Feb 10th 2014, 8:25 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Just to address the weather and climate aspect, in my opinion the UK could be the safer bet objectively.

Headline news is bad just now, with flooding and storms, but I've been in North Norfolk for four weeks and the weather has been perfect for January & February. Temperatures between 5 and 10 Celsius, many sunny days, significant rain on maybe three days out of the 30 days I've been here. My son lives in Cambridge, just fifty miles SW of here, and he's had the horrible weather that southern and south west England has experienced.

Florida and Southern California by contrast, have all the well known problems of extreme weather (Florida) and long term water use and other environmental problems.

I live in the NE United States where, in my opinion, the weather is supremely awful just because of the extremes. Talking to my wife a couple of weeks ago, it was eighty five degrees F warmer where I was than where she was .. 50 degrees F in north Norfolk, -35 degrees F in northern New York State.

Now, I know Southern California and Florida do not have the cold problems of the US northeast, but between wildfires, hurricanes and long term water supply issues I don't think I'd want to live in either.
Old Feb 10th 2014, 3:21 pm
Forum Regular

Sportychico is an unknown quantity at this point

I LIVED in NAPLES SW Florida - the nicest part of Florida - gulf coast etc etc.....what are you looking for?.....better weather?........The UK's weather is appalling and with global warming we are likey to get more and more rain - in summer as well.....How would you move to Florida?....Visa ?? which one?.....it depends on your circumstances / financial situation etc. California is VERY EXPENSIVE so unless you have at least a $1m forget it....Florida is cheap but you still need a decent income to cover costs - healthcare etc.....and you have to have a business to obtain a visa ...E2 means you always have to keep it running so you CAN NEVER RETIRE on an E2.....L1 is unlikely reading your circumstances.....happy to discuss both as been down both these routes.
Old Feb 10th 2014, 3:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Why are you going around spouting misinformation?
UK weather is not appalling...I travel home to Scotland quite a lot and while it's a mixed bag at times we don't suffer tornadoes, hurricanes, droughts or other extreme events regularly. And even though parts of England are currently having floods generally it's quite comfortable.

And California? PARTS of it are expensive but not all of it. Even in SoCal, going inland a bit, the houses become quite affordable. You certainly DO NOT need $1 million. We don't have a million, (well not liquid), and we live very comfortably.
Old Feb 10th 2014, 4:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

I live right on the coast of California, about as pricey as you can get, and I don't earn anywhere near a million
Old Feb 10th 2014, 5:01 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by hotscot
UK weather is not appalling...I travel home to Scotland quite a lot and while it's a mixed bag at times we don't suffer tornadoes, hurricanes, droughts or other extreme events regularly. And even though parts of England are currently having floods generally it's quite comfortable.

And California? PARTS of it are expensive but not all of it. Even in SoCal, going inland a bit, the houses become quite affordable. You certainly DO NOT need $1 million. We don't have a million, (well not liquid), and we live very comfortably.
you need at least $1m to buy a semi decent home in a semi decent Californian location...plus enough to buy a decent business ...probably $1.5m actually...The weather in the UK is SHOCKING ...grey most of the year, cold, rains most of the year and occasionally we get a few days summer....this is not up for debate its factual
Old Feb 10th 2014, 5:03 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by hotscot

you are in denial ....the UK 'GREY' weather is depressing...we rarely get a decent summer and have rain 20 days out of 30 each month...met office fact.... also it chills your bones from October until May....
Old Feb 10th 2014, 5:07 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sportychico
you need at least $1m to buy a semi decent home in a semi decent Californian location...plus enough to buy a decent business ...probably $1.5m actually...The weather in the UK is SHOCKING ...grey most of the year, cold, rains most of the year and occasionally we get a few days summer....this is not up for debate its factual
I thought the UK got a similar number of days of summer as the rest of the world?
Old Feb 10th 2014, 5:09 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

You are so right. This was the first place I picked off an agency website. What a slum.

http://www.whitehouseproperties.com/...idxsearch.html
Old Feb 10th 2014, 5:09 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

you are in denial ....the UK 'GREY' weather is depressing...we rarely get a decent summer and have rain 20 days out of 30 each month...met office fact....
If it's a 'met office fact' can you back it up with a link please, to show that all of the UK has rain 240 days a year? Because that's certainly not true where I am. 2011 and 2013 were incredibly dry, both years we were having a new roof put on our house, or an extension, and only had 2 or 3 days when the roofers were rained off from April onwards. I also remember it because I put a new orchard in and had to water the fruit trees daily!
Old Feb 10th 2014, 5:14 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by N1cky
You are so right. This was the first place I picked off an agency website. What a slum.

http://www.whitehouseproperties.com/...idxsearch.html
looks a bit old to me (outside) does it have a nice pool & Spa...and proves my point...to buy a semi decent home in a NICE area in California and BUY a business to get an E2 Visa you need at least $1m ...thanks for confirming Florida Gulf coast is much cheaper
Old Feb 10th 2014, 5:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

If "Sportychico" is looking to buy in the Hollywood hills, then $1m is not going to buy much. Look on real estate listings in the areas you want to settle in and get up to date info on property prices in SoCal. There are a lot of nice, reasonably priced places around.
Old Feb 10th 2014, 5:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

The boy is certainly entertaining the adults today...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.