Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Fishing anyone?

Fishing anyone?

Old Dec 29th 2008, 4:12 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fishing anyone?

Originally Posted by candy wy.
I am Ice fishing at the moment in MN. Never again its bloody cold:curse:
Now you realize Florida was not quite so bad ...
Old Dec 29th 2008, 5:31 pm
Just Joined

Mark1976 is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow, so many repsonses. Thankyou. Sorry I can't reply to you all.

Thanks for the heads up re. fishing licences. I expected as much since it's the same in the UK.

It's a shame that carp are considered vermin here. And it makes me shudder when I hear about the bow fishing - I've seen it on YouTube.

I have done a lot of googling and research. It seems that Carp Fishing (in the European sense) has a small following, including organised groups, in Austin Texas. But since I don't live there I was really hoping there would be some sort of group or organisation in NY. I can't find one though.

I'm a freshwater fisherman. I like idilic settings such as lush estate lakes etc. I guess in this country anything under 100 acres is probably referred to as a 'pond' not a lake. Everything's bigger here!

So if carp fishing really isn't the thing over here, what I want to do is find some good freshwater fishing. Maybe Bass? I'd like to do something simple to begin with that doesn't require a lot of gear/tackle or expense. And I location I can get to and from for a days fishing from NYC by train if possible. Any recommendations that meet that criteria?

Cheers again
Mark
Old Dec 29th 2008, 5:58 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mark1976
Wow, so many repsonses. Thankyou. Sorry I can't reply to you all.

Thanks for the heads up re. fishing licences. I expected as much since it's the same in the UK.

It's a shame that carp are considered vermin here. And it makes me shudder when I hear about the bow fishing - I've seen it on YouTube.

I have done a lot of googling and research. It seems that Carp Fishing (in the European sense) has a small following, including organised groups, in Austin Texas. But since I don't live there I was really hoping there would be some sort of group or organisation in NY. I can't find one though.

I'm a freshwater fisherman. I like idilic settings such as lush estate lakes etc. I guess in this country anything under 100 acres is probably referred to as a 'pond' not a lake. Everything's bigger here!

So if carp fishing really isn't the thing over here, what I want to do is find some good freshwater fishing. Maybe Bass? I'd like to do something simple to begin with that doesn't require a lot of gear/tackle or expense. And I location I can get to and from for a days fishing from NYC by train if possible. Any recommendations that meet that criteria?

Cheers again
Mark

What's the preferred European technique for Carp? Artificials, live bait? Maybe you can find something similar. Panfish Bluegill/Red ear are extemely simple if you can find a good spot. And BTW, there's no law saying you can't fish for carp, and really, since they are considered a nongame fish, they might be less regulated than other "game" species. Check your state's Fish and Game website.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 10:10 pm
Forum Regular

SpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really nice

As far as I know Another Bloody Yank is right, there's nothing that says you can't fish for carp. It's just they're not as popular a fish to go after here as over there. Some people eat them, but I've always heard they have to be prepared in such a way to not taste all blegh.
Carp are strong fighters though and are fun to catch, but usually people release them.

I prefer going after fish that I can eat as well. IMO the best freshwater fish to catch and eat are: Panfish (bluegill, redear, longear, shellcracker, pumpkinseed, crappie), and largemouth and smallmouth bass. I tend to stay away from fish that bottomfeed like catfish as they tend to have very mushy flesh. Some like catfish around here though, so... *shrugs*.

Depending on where you are and what kind of water you'll be going into (If it's still/muddy/dark), I'd recommend not stepping into water you can't see the bottom of unless absolutely necessary. In GA there are large snapping turtles that may not take kindly to being stepped on.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 10:47 pm
Forum Regular

Leyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud of

Cheers again
Mark
The cheapest set up will be a general bait fishing rod and reel and middle of the road gear will set you back a hundred or so and then the bait depends on what you will be using, what you intend to catch and where you are fishing but the cost is minimal.

Now I am not sure about NY fishing areas, but here in Colorado most rivers, lakes, streams etc are restricted to artificial lures and flies only and thus bait fishing limits your options and so fly fishing really is the only way to go here.

The set up cost is a little more; for example a beginner's flyrod such as an Orvis Clearwater II and a basic reel with fly-line and leader will run you around $250 bucks and from there it is just a matter of spending a little extra on the flies which you will need (dry flies, nymphs, midges etc), tippets and basic equipment such as floatants, nippers and forecepts. I would expect to pay close $350 for the basic gear not including any of the technical items such as a vest or fishing net.

I would advise you to call down to your local angling shop and "fish" for information; any good store worth their name will take their time with you and go over the various fishing options in the area, gear and set-ups with you, if they don't then simply take your business elsewhere.

I would also recommend looking into some guided tours offered by various stores, these can start off at a couple of hundred bucks and usually include all of the equipment which you will need, lunches on the streams and lodging for the duration which is usually 2-3 days. Well worth the money.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 11:37 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Croton Reservoir is on the Metro North train line from Manhattan. About a 35 minute ride. You need a DEP license. The website is: www.nyc.gov/dep

We have that license which allows you to fish there, park a car around the reservoir and fish from a non-motorized boat.

There is also the Kensico Reservoir in Vahalla, New York again accessible by Metro North train. Same deal with the DEP license.

You need a New York State fishing license to fish in any of the lakes. If you are on Long Island there should be places there. There are also fishing forums online. Have a search.
Old Dec 30th 2008, 3:13 am
Forum Regular

made in sheffield has a brilliant futuremade in sheffield has a brilliant futuremade in sheffield has a brilliant futuremade in sheffield has a brilliant futuremade in sheffield has a brilliant futuremade in sheffield has a brilliant future

<----- don,t that count ?

Last edited by made in sheffield; Dec 30th 2008 at 3:16 am.
Old Dec 30th 2008, 3:30 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rete
Croton Reservoir is on the Metro North train line from Manhattan. About a 35 minute ride. You need a DEP license. The website is: www.nyc.gov/dep

We have that license which allows you to fish there, park a car around the reservoir and fish from a non-motorized boat.

There is also the Kensico Reservoir in Vahalla, New York again accessible by Metro North train. Same deal with the DEP license.

You need a New York State fishing license to fish in any of the lakes. If you are on Long Island there should be places there. There are also fishing forums online. Have a search.
Hi guys

Again, thanks for all the responses.

I know that technically you can fish for carp. It's just that if nobody really does it in NY then the specific tackle/equipment that we use in the UK won't be available. It's also a pretty social sport with a die hard following - hence if nobody is doing it in NY then I think I'd rather take up something more accessible over here - some of the things you guys have mentioned.

I don't eat the fish I catch.
In the UK, with the exception of trout and salmon, you have to return fresh water fish to the lake or river. Hence that's what I'm used to doing.

I'd definitely be interested in catching catfish and pike if possible. They are both great sport - hard fighting fish (in fact, apart from being a very ugly fish, Catfish can swim backwards which makes them hard as nails in my book!). Both species grow to huge sizes.

I'm intrigued by Bass simply because that seems to be the most popular here. I don't know why? Maybe someone can shed some light on this for me.

I'm going to look into Croton and Kensico reservoirs. Thanks so much for the tips!

I am a bit surprised that I haven't found a fellow carp angler on a Brit forum seeing as the sport is so popular in the UK. So I'll probably bump this thread a few times in the future on the off chance that I catch someone who used to carp fish in the UK. Perhaps we can get a small group going. Who knows...

Thanks again

Oh and I'll definitely check out the NY fishing forums you mentioned. Cheers! Mark
Old Dec 30th 2008, 3:32 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by made in sheffield
<----- don,t that count ?
Wow, that looks like fun! Is that a striped bass? It looks all muscle. Must have been quite a fight!!!!
Old Dec 30th 2008, 3:58 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Catfish with a rod and reel? Google "noodling" for catfish. That's the way most people in NY do it.
Old Dec 30th 2008, 4:13 am
Forum Regular

SpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really nice

I'm intrigued by Bass simply because that seems to be the most popular here. I don't know why? Maybe someone can shed some light on this for me.
Bass (most varieties) are popular because:
-They're good fighters.
-They seem to be common predator fish just about everywhere to some extent.
-They go after many types of bait from artificial to live to... just about anything edible if they're feeling hungry enough.
-They taste good, but since you don't eat what you catch, that's kinda moot.
-They can reach a pretty large size.
-They jump when they're on the line.

Since you're not eating the fish, catfish are indeed a great fighter fish. They hit hard, and a bigger one can almost pull you in if you're not ready... and on the opposite end, sometimes you can reel in your line all the way and there'd be a catty on it and you'd have no idea until it reaches the shore/boat. Did that twice myself. Fickle things, Cats...

I still think the panfish are fun to fish for. Find a good school of them and you'll just be hauling them in one after the other. Breeding males are so beautiful, they almost look tropical.
Old Dec 30th 2008, 5:51 am
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Hubby's an avid fisherman and I'm a hook dabbler on occasion. We fish primarily at the New York State reservoirs and have a ten year license to park and fish at any of the State's ressies. Don't need a license to fish in the rivers but then you won't want to eat the catch either. We also enjoy fishing for trout at Seneca Lake in upstate western New York. We get a one year license at WalMarts.
Rete, I don't understand. Why would you catch something you don't plan on eating? Hunting and fishing are essential skills. Do you let them go? Catch and release and all that?
Old Dec 31st 2008, 12:58 am
Just Joined

Graxley will become famous soon enoughGraxley will become famous soon enough

Hi guys

Again, thanks for all the responses.

I know that technically you can fish for carp. It's just that if nobody really does it in NY then the specific tackle/equipment that we use in the UK won't be available. It's also a pretty social sport with a die hard following - hence if nobody is doing it in NY then I think I'd rather take up something more accessible over here - some of the things you guys have mentioned.

I don't eat the fish I catch.
In the UK, with the exception of trout and salmon, you have to return fresh water fish to the lake or river. Hence that's what I'm used to doing.

I'd definitely be interested in catching catfish and pike if possible. They are both great sport - hard fighting fish (in fact, apart from being a very ugly fish, Catfish can swim backwards which makes them hard as nails in my book!). Both species grow to huge sizes.

I'm going to look into Croton and Kensico reservoirs. Thanks so much for the tips!

I am a bit surprised that I haven't found a fellow carp angler on a Brit forum seeing as the sport is so popular in the UK. So I'll probably bump this thread a few times in the future on the off chance that I catch someone who used to carp fish in the UK. Perhaps we can get a small group going. Who knows...

Thanks again

Oh and I'll definitely check out the NY fishing forums you mentioned. Cheers! Mark
I have been in the same situation for several years now with looking for places to fish for carp north of new york city. The reservoirs such as Croton and Kensico are vast with no obvious places to fish from the bank although there are massive carp in most of them and there are many more to explore further north. The easiest place that I have found is United Waters Lake Tappan Reservoir in Rockland County which can be fished if you join their watershed recreation program. I only caught singles here and most of the other people who fish for carp were Russians who take them home to eat. The methods that they use are very crude however bow fishing is not allowed. I did here rumours here of much larger fish but it was a shame that any decent sized carp would have been doomed.

There are also huge carp in the Hudson River but this is also a vast area and tidal so the water tends to be too brackish for carp in lower westchester. I found one possibility at Oscawana Island Boat Launch but never fished there.
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 3:33 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Graxley
I have been in the same situation for several years now with looking for places to fish for carp north of new york city. The reservoirs such as Croton and Kensico are vast with no obvious places to fish from the bank although there are massive carp in most of them and there are many more to explore further north. The easiest place that I have found is United Waters Lake Tappan Reservoir in Rockland County which can be fished if you join their watershed recreation program. I only caught singles here and most of the other people who fish for carp were Russians who take them home to eat. The methods that they use are very crude however bow fishing is not allowed. I did here rumours here of much larger fish but it was a shame that any decent sized carp would have been doomed.

There are also huge carp in the Hudson River but this is also a vast area and tidal so the water tends to be too brackish for carp in lower westchester. I found one possibility at Oscawana Island Boat Launch but never fished there.
Brilliant. A fellow carper I'll send you a message rather than bore everyone else with my carping questions.
Cheers everyone!
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 3:35 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Brilliant. A fellow carper I'll send you a message rather than bore everyone else with my carping questions.
Cheers everyone!
Thank you thank you ....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.