Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

First week in US, Bay Area--keep calm , keep going .

First week in US, Bay Area--keep calm , keep going .

Old Jul 11th 2017, 8:29 pm
in Northern California

malch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First week in US, Bay Area--keep calm , keep going .

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I have a great mental image of you setting up stringent BSM tests in your driveway using bikes and wheelbarrows and the neighbour's cat
The neighbors cat wasn't very cooperative. Cats rarely are but we love 'em anyway. So I had to make do with small children.

Still, you were pretty close. How did you know I was an engineer?
Old Jul 11th 2017, 8:31 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by malch
The neighbors cat wasn't very cooperative. Cats rarely are but we love 'em anyway. So I had to make do with small children.
Cats are marginally more cooperative than small children, but it could go either way.

Originally Posted by malch
Still, you were pretty close. How did you know I was an engineer?
Ha! Lucky guess ...
Old Jul 11th 2017, 9:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
my latest car has 'BSM' - blind spot monitoring - and it is F***ing amazing! I can't speak highly enough about BSM systems (at least as implemented by Lexus).
I really regret not opting for it when I bought a new car last year.
And a back-up camera.
Thought they were just pricey gimmicks. Now know it would have been worth every penny of the money I thought I'd save.

And speaking of gimmicks...here's the Subject Line of a CNet email that just popped into my Inbox:

The 2019 Audi A8 will drive itself and massage your feet

projected MSRP: $103,225
Old Jul 11th 2017, 9:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MMcD
I really regret not opting for it when I bought a new car last year.
And a back-up camera.
Thought they were just pricey gimmicks. Now know it would have been worth every penny of the money I thought I'd save.

I've had backup cameras since about 2007, and would not buy a car without one now. I thought the BSM was a gimmick but it was on the car I chose (used) so couldn't avoid it. Absolutely wouldn't be without it now!

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
The Uber I was in a couple of weeks ago was a Honda...it actually had a camera showing a visual of the blind spot.
I test drove a Honda with that feature; they are putting it on most models at the medium-to-high trim levels. There's a small camera built in to the passenger door mirror. Seemed to be effective, but was only on the passenger side. I find the driver's side blind spot monitor to be every bit as useful.

The BSM not only helps avoid obvious problems, but I have found it very useful at night when changing lanes. During the day, one can generally judge the position of other vehicles quite accurately but at night, you can only see headlights and they can be harder to judge. The BSM has proven very accurate at telling me where my car is in relation to cars in adjacent lanes. Note - I tested this for months before relying on it, 'calibrating' it during the day until I got a good sense of its accuracy. I STILL give a visual check, though, because you never know when the system may malfunction.
Old Jul 11th 2017, 10:02 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

My rearview.. Oooer!..

Old Jul 11th 2017, 10:06 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I've had backup cameras since about 2007, and would not buy a car without one now. I thought the BSM was a gimmick but it was on the car I chose (used) so couldn't avoid it. Absolutely wouldn't be without it now!

I test drove a Honda with that feature; they are putting it on most models at the medium-to-high trim levels. There's a small camera built in to the passenger door mirror. Seemed to be effective, but was only on the passenger side. I find the driver's side blind spot monitor to be every bit as useful.

The BSM not only helps avoid obvious problems, but I have found it very useful at night when changing lanes. During the day, one can generally judge the position of other vehicles quite accurately but at night, you can only see headlights and they can be harder to judge. The BSM has proven very accurate at telling me where my car is in relation to cars in adjacent lanes. Note - I tested this for months before relying on it, 'calibrating' it during the day until I got a good sense of its accuracy. I STILL give a visual check, though, because you never know when the system may malfunction.
The first car we had BSM on was around 10 years ago...it also slowed down/stopped when you got too close to the vehicle in front...also had lane drift alert. All are good safety features IMO.
Old Jul 14th 2017, 4:05 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Now that seems very wrong. You look over your shoulder on the freeway while attempting to change lanes and you are traveling at 60 or above and take your eyes off the road in front of you? I find this difficult to believe. The only time in NYS you are advised to look over your shoulder is when you are pulling out of a parking space and when you are making a U turn or a K turn.
This explains a lot.
Old Jul 14th 2017, 4:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wintersong
This explains a lot.
I always look over my shoulder when I want to change lanes. It is only momentarily...so hardly dangerous taking one's eyes off the road. It is dangerous not to IMO...unless you have BSM.
Old Jul 14th 2017, 4:52 pm
Forum Regular

S.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond repute

This explains a lot.
You back in US?
Old Jul 14th 2017, 5:41 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

I always look over my shoulder
How else you gonna get away from the rozzers?

Old Jul 14th 2017, 6:09 pm
Forum Regular

MorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud of

I always look over my shoulder when I want to change lanes. It is only momentarily...so hardly dangerous taking one's eyes off the road. It is dangerous not to IMO...unless you have BSM.
IMO even if you have it, use your eyes. The tech in cars is fantastic to assist, and is there for those times when you forget, but otherwise I'm a firm believer in checking for yourself.
That way if there's an accident you can say 'this is what I saw' rather than 'but the car told me ...'.

Driving in the US is a bit of a nightmare at times after coming from the UK. I've driven hundreds of miles now after visiting with work since 2013 in Massachusetts, New York, Florida, and Utah. MA drivers are by far the worst. My MA-based colleagues would back me up on that, so I feel safe in saying so

My girlfriend and I took a trip up to Canada from NYC in December when I was visiting. As we were going to be sat in the car together for 8-9 hours, I figured I'd ask her what it took to pass a test in NY.
Essentially it boiled down to 20 minutes of theory, 20 minutes of practical, job's a good 'un. I told her about my practical test - 1 hour of driving on all types of mixed roads, parking manoeuvres, etc., and the practical test - anticipation tests, road sign and markings, and she was kind of overawed

During the trip (I drove us back from Canada to NJ a few days later) we discussed following and braking distances, lane discipline, and keeping the windshield clean (she's had the car five years, never topped up the washer bottle, and loves to only squirt some on once there's already a layer of grime).

Suffice it to say I drive my way, which probably seems over cautious, but it keeps me alive!!

My biggest gripe is the lack of courtesy. Nobody acknowledges you for letting them out at a junction or into a lane, and as the OP posted, signalling to get into a lane is often treated as a sign that says 'I'm coming into this lane, ram me if you can!'
Old Jul 14th 2017, 7:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MorsePacific
My biggest gripe is the lack of courtesy. Nobody acknowledges you for letting them out at a junction or into a lane
I do...always (says the goody-goody )..but I do.
And I agree..it's stupid-rude not to
Old Jul 15th 2017, 12:57 am
Forum Regular

jellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond repute

This explains a lot.
I would have said how do people not know to check their blind spot changing lanes etc (via a glance over their shoulder before maneuver)? However after taking the drivers test in Florida, I realize its a stupid thing to ask
Old Jul 15th 2017, 11:15 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

In my car I have a small blind spot mirror.

It's very convenient and missed when I drive my Mrs' car.

It shocked me to know how big the blind spot is in my Mrs' small versa. If you don't check over your shoulder you're in for a bumpy ride.
Old Jul 15th 2017, 12:35 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by MorsePacific
IMO even if you have it, use your eyes. The tech in cars is fantastic to assist, and is there for those times when you forget, but otherwise I'm a firm believer in checking for yourself.
That way if there's an accident you can say 'this is what I saw' rather than 'but the car told me ...'.

Driving in the US is a bit of a nightmare at times after coming from the UK. I've driven hundreds of miles now after visiting with work since 2013 in Massachusetts, New York, Florida, and Utah. MA drivers are by far the worst. My MA-based colleagues would back me up on that, so I feel safe in saying so

My girlfriend and I took a trip up to Canada from NYC in December when I was visiting. As we were going to be sat in the car together for 8-9 hours, I figured I'd ask her what it took to pass a test in NY.
Essentially it boiled down to 20 minutes of theory, 20 minutes of practical, job's a good 'un. I told her about my practical test - 1 hour of driving on all types of mixed roads, parking manoeuvres, etc., and the practical test - anticipation tests, road sign and markings, and she was kind of overawed

During the trip (I drove us back from Canada to NJ a few days later) we discussed following and braking distances, lane discipline, and keeping the windshield clean (she's had the car five years, never topped up the washer bottle, and loves to only squirt some on once there's already a layer of grime).

Suffice it to say I drive my way, which probably seems over cautious, but it keeps me alive!!

My biggest gripe is the lack of courtesy. Nobody acknowledges you for letting them out at a junction or into a lane, and as the OP posted, signalling to get into a lane is often treated as a sign that says 'I'm coming into this lane, ram me if you can!'
Agreed. Even though we have BSM I always look over my shoulder.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.