Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

First week in US, Bay Area--keep calm , keep going .

First week in US, Bay Area--keep calm , keep going .

Old Jul 11th 2017, 2:18 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First week in US, Bay Area--keep calm , keep going .

Originally Posted by Nutek

It's why we evolved having a neck. That and so people could be told to wind it in when they get pissy about my driving.
Handy, that.

Anyway, one needs to check one's blind spot. If you could do that in the mirrors, there wouldn't be such a thing as a blind spot. I know you're supposed to be able to angle the mirrors in such a way as you can almost eliminate the blind spot but surely there's no such thing as 'checking too many things'.

Of course, you're relying on the assumption that all the other drivers are keeping safe following distances and checking their own blind spots (and they're not on the phone/doing makeup/shaving/having a meal/wanking). That's the real challenge right there ...
Old Jul 11th 2017, 2:33 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Handy, that.

Anyway, one needs to check one's blind spot. If you could do that in the mirrors, there wouldn't be such a thing as a blind spot. I know you're supposed to be able to angle the mirrors in such a way as you can almost eliminate the blind spot but surely there's no such thing as 'checking too many things'.

Of course, you're relying on the assumption that all the other drivers are keeping safe following distances and checking their own blind spots (and they're not on the phone/doing makeup/shaving/having a meal/wanking). That's the real challenge right there ...
The only thing I can see in my rearview is the spoiler.
Old Jul 11th 2017, 2:36 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

The only thing I can see in my rearview is the spoiler.
That seems useful.
Old Jul 11th 2017, 2:49 pm
in Northern California

malch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond repute

Handy, that.

Yes, I pretty much always look over my shoulder and the DMV examiner will definitely require you to do so.

However, I wonder what DMV's position is if you're driving a car with blind-spot monitoring? Mrs. malch's car is so equipped and I must say that it works really well. Perfectly in fact. I highly recommend it for anyone that has neck mobility problems or is just plain reluctant to look over the shoulder. It will certainly help keep you safe.
Old Jul 11th 2017, 2:58 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by malch
Yes, I pretty much always look over my shoulder and the DMV examiner will definitely require you to do so.

However, I wonder what DMV's position is if you're driving a car with blind-spot monitoring? Mrs. malch's car is so equipped and I must say that it works really well. Perfectly in fact. I highly recommend it for anyone that has neck mobility problems or is just plain reluctant to look over the shoulder. It will certainly help keep you safe.
Not sure how blind spot monitoring fits in. They may still want a cursory check just to be sure the system is working correctly.

I don't know if my DMV examiner required me to look over my shoulder, as my test was essentially just 'drive down the road that way a bit, OK drive back the way you came and hurry up because it's the end of the day and you've made me stay 15 minutes longer than I wanted to ...'
Old Jul 11th 2017, 3:14 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MMcD
That may(?) be so in New York
It's definitely the wrong advice for OP in CA. where DMV Driver Handbook*
explicitly states:
I wasn't giving advice on how to pass the California driver's test but rather commenting on what we were taught and what is done in NYS when taking your driver's road test and why I thought taking your eyes off the traffic in front of you going 60 miles an hour is hazardous.
Old Jul 11th 2017, 3:28 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Rete
I wasn't giving advice on how to pass the California driver's test but rather commenting on what we were taught and what is done in NYS when taking your driver's road test and why I thought taking your eyes off the traffic in front of you going 60 miles an hour is hazardous.
It's taught in the UK to be done on motorways at 70. Provided you are following at a safe distance (and you do have to make a few assumptions regarding other drivers, but nobody can plan for an arsehole brake-checking you which is dangerous even if you're looking at him), a quick glance behind you to check the way across to your intended lane is clear is arguably safer than attempting to cross 2 or more lanes without checking your blind spot.

I never did driving lessons here and as mentioned my test was embarrassingly piss-easy so I can't comment on the official rules in Illinois but I still check my blind spots when changing lanes and I'm usually going 75 or more on interstates. It's never been an issue.
Old Jul 11th 2017, 4:38 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

That seems useful.
Lets you know if it's fallen off.

Obligatory...

Old Jul 11th 2017, 4:48 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

It's taught in the UK to be done on motorways at 70. Provided you are following at a safe distance (and you do have to make a few assumptions regarding other drivers,

Seems like on all highways here in the US, they follow so close you can't read their front license plate, if they have one. You leave enough room between you and the car in front of you and someone cuts in.
Old Jul 11th 2017, 4:57 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Rete
Seems like on all highways here in the US, they follow so close you can't read their front license plate, if they have one. You leave enough room between you and the car in front of you and someone cuts in.
That is an annoyance, but if someone does that, I simply adjust my own speed to leave a safe distance between me and the interloper. That never usually happens on the interstate though, only on multi-lane surface streets. Most of the time on the interstate I can anticipate when someone's about to jump into my lane and I make my adjustments in advance. Now right enough, I can only manage my own following distances and can't do much about those behind me following to closely. If that happens and there's no room in an adjacent lane for either of us to move into, I'll slow down a little just in case the tailgater hits me, at least until space clears up in a passing lane for them to go around me. Occasionally I'll be passing someone and I get another car up my trumpet during the maneuver but at least then I can move back to the right as soon as possible so they can carry on their merry way and bother someone else.
Old Jul 11th 2017, 8:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Yes. I'm pretty surprised to hear advice NOT to look back to be honest. If people truly are driving like this, relying on mirrors only, it's no wonder there are so many accidents. So many blind spots. Hell, most of the rear of my car is a blind spot.
Originally Posted by robin1234
I agree, I would never change lanes (or similar manoeuvre) without looking over my shoulder. I assumed all drivers did this.
As much as I strongly advocate looking over the shoulder and not relying only on mirrors (which I think is simply irresponsible advice, quite frankly!), my latest car has 'BSM' - blind spot monitoring - and it is F***ing amazing! I still give a quick look out of instinct, but the BSM is 100% accurate so far with over 20,000 miles of driving with it. And once, it saved my bacon when a very fast moving car moved from 2nd lane to 1st lane at the last minute, just as I was merging onto the freeway. My 'over the shoulder' look showed 'safe', but BSM was blinking. This caused me a quick 2nd look, and sure enough, I was about to collide with this car. So I can't speak highly enough about BSM systems (at least as implemented by Lexus). Real bummer when I rent a car that doesn't have it!
Old Jul 11th 2017, 8:07 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Steerpike
As much as I strongly advocate looking over the shoulder and not relying only on mirrors (which I think is simply irresponsible advice, quite frankly!), my latest car has 'BSM' - blind spot monitoring - and it is F***ing amazing! I still give a quick look out of instinct, but the BSM is 100% accurate so far with over 20,000 miles of driving with it. And once, it saved my bacon when a very fast moving car moved from 2nd lane to 1st lane at the last minute, just as I was merging onto the freeway. My 'over the shoulder' look showed 'safe', but BSM was blinking. This caused me a quick 2nd look, and sure enough, I was about to collide with this car. So I can't speak highly enough about BSM systems (at least as implemented by Lexus). Real bummer when I rent a car that doesn't have it!
Oh great, now I don't trust my own blind spot checking abilities anymore
Old Jul 11th 2017, 8:09 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

The Uber I was in a couple of weeks ago was a Honda...it actually had a camera showing a visual of the blind spot.
Old Jul 11th 2017, 8:13 pm
in Northern California

malch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond repute

my latest car has 'BSM' - blind spot monitoring - and it is F***ing amazing!
I have to agree. We have this on the wife's Camry and it really works; every single time without exception.
Old Jul 11th 2017, 8:17 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by malch
I have to agree. We have this on the wife's Camry and it really works; every single time without exception.
I have a great mental image of you setting up stringent BSM tests in your driveway using bikes and wheelbarrows and the neighbour's cat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.