Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

First week in US, Bay Area--keep calm , keep going .

First week in US, Bay Area--keep calm , keep going .

Old Jul 10th 2017, 11:59 pm
in Northern California

malch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First week in US, Bay Area--keep calm , keep going .

Originally Posted by johnwoo
I friend of mine had to drive on an LA freeway as part of his driving test, he worked for BMW in Santa Monica and driving was part of his job. He failed his test for not looking over his shoulder when changing lanes, the tester made him change lanes several times, to rack up enough points to points to fail him.
This is why I recommend that folks take a lesson or two before attempting the road test. It's exactly the kind of thing that a good instructor can prepare you for. That way, you don't have to waste time organizing a retest, or suffer the embarrassment of a failure :-)
Old Jul 11th 2017, 12:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Now that seems very wrong. You look over your shoulder on the freeway while attempting to change lanes and you are traveling at 60 or above and take your eyes off the road in front of you? I find this difficult to believe. The only time in NYS you are advised to look over your shoulder is when you are pulling out of a parking space and when you are making a U turn or a K turn.
Huh? it takes only a second to look over your shoulder and is a great thing to do when changing lanes.
Old Jul 11th 2017, 1:00 am
BE Enthusiast

LondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond repute

They got rid of a roundabout a few years ago at the top of the hill where we live in Crystal Palace. Since then it has taken much longer to get round. They seem to be trying to replace roundabouts all over the UK. I was interested to see that in the Cayman Islands they call it a round-a-bout!
Old Jul 11th 2017, 2:49 am
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S.Susan
there are few important lessons I have learned in the first week.

1) Never go out without hat , sun glasses, water , sunscreen . I know it is sunny California but I didn't expect this baking hot weather. My husband and children got burnt on the day two . Good thing is At least they are probably not the most palest people in the entire Bay Area anymore. They are dead red now !!

2) indication don't mean anything in this country . It was my very first journey on the bloody freeway 680 . I have indicated and checked, and start changing the lane . The big truck on the other lane dramatically speed up and came for me . Seriously it was that fast and I thought he is going to cash into me.
Second time was yesterday , I was trying to change the lane and I start indicate. Guess what no one let me go .
What's wrong with the drives in this country . They clearly have some issue with indication and no one care about that !!!i m still mad until this moment.

3) 4 way junctions is a joke ! Why they don't do roundabout ? Why?why ? I have to stay on the junction forever because I just don't know if it's my turn or not .....

I am sure there will be plenty lessons and surprise waiting for me . What can I say , keep calm and keep going. The main concern at the moment is my driving. My brain is still making me drive to the right of the road. If you happen to live in Dublin, watch out a red Mazda , don't get too close to that car

From tmr, hubby will go to work and I need to face two homesick end Children alone. I was really surprised when my little one came up to me and told me seriously he wants to go back to nursery yesterday. I thought he won't know but children do know . i have heard there is a Dublin library , is it any good ? I m planning to take children there maybe it will make them feel better.

Hope you all have a great week ahead of you !
I recommend you read the California Drivers Handbook.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/web/eng_pdf/dl600.pdf

Also you can find examples of the test questions on line. Where you can practice the kinds of questions you will be asked.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1dmy&urile=wcmath:/dmv_content_en/dmv/pubs/interactive/tdrive/exam

Make an appointment on line when applying to take the test, lines can be very long especially in Pleasanton your nearest DMV office.
I've found Walnut Creek office a better option, less crowded and less wait time for an appointment.

Have you been Downtown Pleasanton yet, a nice downtown area and a farmers market on Saturday mornings.
Old Jul 11th 2017, 3:02 am
in Northern California

malch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond repute

Make an appointment on line when applying to take the test, lines can be very long especially in Pleasanton your nearest DMV office.
I've found Walnut Creek office a better option, less crowded and less wait time for an appointment.

Have you been Downtown Pleasanton yet, a nice downtown area and a farmers market on Saturday mornings.
Good point. It's more than two months wait for a DMV appointment at Pleasanton. About half that for Walnut Creek.

You can also try the appointment scheduling system very early in the morning. There's a chance you'll find a slot that someone cancelled late the night before.

And, yes, downtown Pleasanton is quite, ummm, pleasant. Very relaxed compared with most other Bay Area cities.
Old Jul 11th 2017, 3:18 am
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by malch
Good point. It's more than two months wait for a DMV appointment at Pleasanton. About half that for Walnut Creek.

You can also try the appointment scheduling system very early in the morning. There's a chance you'll find a slot that someone cancelled late the night before.

And, yes, downtown Pleasanton is quite, ummm, pleasant. Very relaxed compared with most other Bay Area cities.
There is also Danville, Walnut Creek. Livermore is OK, a lot of restaurant choices. Couple of decent wineries Concannon and Wente. Wente has a very nice Restaurant.
Old Jul 11th 2017, 5:43 am
Forum Regular

S.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond repute

I recommend you read the California Drivers Handbook.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/web/eng_pdf/dl600.pdf

Also you can find examples of the test questions on line. Where you can practice the kinds of questions you will be asked.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1dmy&urile=wcmath:/dmv_content_en/dmv/pubs/interactive/tdrive/exam

Thanks very much for the link.

I m planning to find a instructor to have some lessons first. Can I just google it for any ?Does anyone know how does it work ? Let me check on the map about walnut creek . Not too sure I can drive that far yet on my own seriously I have left with this mental scare ... I m not a confident driver anyway and it took me 3 times to pass uk driving test in Sidcup ten years ago ..I still remember the reason for me to fail on the first one was driving too slow .....lol.....can't believe I need to do this again in US!

I have heard the farmer market but haven't been yet . It is on my to do list for the weekend
Old Jul 11th 2017, 5:44 am
Forum Regular

S.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond repute

Now that seems very wrong. You look over your shoulder on the freeway while attempting to change lanes and you are traveling at 60 or above and take your eyes off the road in front of you? I find this difficult to believe. The only time in NYS you are advised to look over your shoulder is when you are pulling out of a parking space and when you are making a U turn or a K turn.
I agree . I somehow feel so uncomfortable to look over the shoulder . I couldn't do it ..
Old Jul 11th 2017, 5:48 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by malch

Two months ? That is very long . At the moment I m still waiting for the SSN to book the driving test . I wish I never need to take the bloody test ...
Old Jul 11th 2017, 7:17 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Huh? it takes only a second to look over your shoulder and is a great thing to do when changing lanes.
I agree, I would never change lanes (or similar manoeuvre) without looking over my shoulder. I assumed all drivers did this.
Old Jul 11th 2017, 10:35 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
I agree, I would never change lanes (or similar maneuver) without looking over my shoulder. I assumed all drivers did this.
Yes. I'm pretty surprised to hear advice NOT to look back to be honest. If people truly are driving like this, relying on mirrors only, it's no wonder there are so many accidents. So many blind spots. Hell, most of the rear of my car is a blind spot.
Old Jul 11th 2017, 11:05 am
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
Yes. I'm pretty surprised to hear advice NOT to look back to be honest. If people truly are driving like this, relying on mirrors only, it's no wonder there are so many accidents. So many blind spots. Hell, most of the rear of my car is a blind spot.
I agree.
Old Jul 11th 2017, 1:56 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Not every intersection in the UK has a roundabout though, and waiting for a gap in traffic coming from the right on a roundabout can be a challenge when merging from a minor road to a busy main road. Not to mention moving over to the center and back the to the outside to exit.
My wife learned to drive in the US, she will not drive in the UK. Driving in Europe can be daunting for Americans, it's a matter of learning and adapting wherever you are.
Obviously roundabouts should only go where they make sense, but there are a lot of 4-way stops round my way that would greatly benefit by being replaced by a roundabout (and just as many that wouldn't, such as the one right next to a railway station on my way into work )

Big roundabouts can be tricky though, especially when you're getting into the large 3 lane ones where you've got 6 or more exits with a mixture of motorways, A-roads and local roads all coming off them, I'll give you that.

It is standard practice in the UK, at least. There's one stretch of motorway where the M5 meets the M2 heading into Belfast where depending on what exit you want to take, you might have to cross 4 lanes of traffic in one go. Just using the mirror isn't going to help there. As has been mentioned, it's just a quick glance behind you. Assuming you're leaving the correct safe distance between you and the car in front, a second's glance behind to verify your way across is clear is of no consequence, even at 70+ mph.
Old Jul 11th 2017, 2:04 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
It is standard practice in the UK, at least. There's one stretch of motorway where the M5 meets the M2 heading into Belfast where depending on what exit you want to take, you might have to cross 4 lanes of traffic in one go. Just using the mirror isn't going to help there. As has been mentioned, it's just a quick glance behind you. Assuming you're leaving the correct safe distance between you and the car in front, a second's glance behind to verify your way across is clear is of no consequence, even at 70+ mph.

It's why we evolved having a neck. That and so people could be told to wind it in when they get pissy about my driving.
Old Jul 11th 2017, 2:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

That may(?) be so in New York
It's definitely the wrong advice for OP in CA. where DMV Driver Handbook*
explicitly states:

Before changing lanes, signal, look in all your mirrors, and:

Check traffic behind and beside you.
Look over your left or right shoulder to make sure the lane you want is clear.
Check for vehicles, motorcyclists, and bicycle traffic in your blind spot.
Be sure there is enough room for your vehicle in the next lane.

*a must-read (and re-re-read) before taking the written, but especially the practical driving test

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.