Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Finding a job in USA as a graduate engineer

Finding a job in USA as a graduate engineer

Old Jul 24th 2015, 10:10 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finding a job in USA as a graduate engineer

Originally Posted by srh
So what do you suggest I do? Should I write no visa sponsorship required in the resume as well? There is one company I applied to and someone keeps looking at my application (I know because its updated real-time) but no reply so maybe the other person is right, they don't know what to do with it
If you're doing the application via the website and HR, you want to blend in as far as anything that looks like a hassle.

Stuff like having a greencard, worth bringing up if you are by-passing HR and sending it to someone who will likely be doing the hiring, but as a follow up...but it'll all depend on the type of job and how you're applying.
Old Jul 24th 2015, 10:18 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by srh
So basically someone can set up a private mailbox to collect mail instead of their home address? I never knew this could happen..

I feel gutted now because I have applied to all the big companies and everyone of their vacancies while stating my status.
Now that you know what to do, reapply.

Rene
Old Jul 24th 2015, 10:21 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by srh
So basically someone can set up a private mailbox to collect mail instead of their home address? I never knew this could happen. .....
Yup, people do it in the UK too - UPS Store in the US is the same company as Mailboxes Etc in the UK. Some people do it for jobs, but it works for all sorts of reasons.

If you received an application from address "Flat 17, 56 Gloucester Rd, London." would you notice that it is actually PO Box 17, at Mailboxes Etc? It is an area with many flats so the chances of anyone noticing that it isn't actually where you live is slim to none, and likely not even an issue even if they do notice!
Old Jul 24th 2015, 10:22 pm
srh
Forum Regular

srh is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Now that you know what to do, reapply.

Rene
Reapplying to the same jobs with a different ID won't look dodgy?
Old Jul 24th 2015, 10:23 pm
srh
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Yup, people do it in the UK too - UPS Store in the US is the same company as Mailboxes Etc in the UK. Some people do it for jobs, but it works for all sorts of reasons.

If you received an application from address "Flat 17, 56 Gloucester Rd, London." would you notice that it is actually PO Box 17, at Mailboxes Etc? It is an area with many flats so the chances of anyone noticing that it isn't actually where you live is slim to none, and likely not even an issue even if they do notice!
Thank you for that tip
Old Jul 24th 2015, 10:44 pm
srh
Forum Regular

One more question, do you guys think I am eligible for internships even though I have graduated already? Most job requirements state something like 'must be pursuing a degree in mechanical engineering'
Old Jul 24th 2015, 11:56 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

I was recently given this template to use for a cv. Very different from anything I've done before. It is the recommended one for UT students/graduates to use.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1v...ew?usp=sharing

let me know if you can't see it, I have attempted to make it available to anyone with the link

Might be worth getting your degree transcribed to a US format? People use GPA to figure out how clever you are.
Old Jul 25th 2015, 1:24 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by srh
Reapplying to the same jobs with a different ID won't look dodgy?
What do you mean by "different ID"?

Rene
Old Jul 25th 2015, 2:05 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Rene
It's like FB, you have to create an online profile with these companies, giving them loads of details.
Old Jul 25th 2015, 3:33 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
It's like FB, you have to create an online profile with these companies, giving them loads of details.
In my experience you can go back in and edit the profile, add qualifications, change the wording, delete and replace the uploaded resume and/ or covering letter, etc.
Old Jul 25th 2015, 10:06 pm
srh
Forum Regular

Rene
you create a profile under which you apply for different positions, once you have applied to a position you can't reapply to the same position with the same profile have to create a different login.
Old Jul 25th 2015, 10:06 pm
srh
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
In my experience you can go back in and edit the profile, add qualifications, change the wording, delete and replace the uploaded resume and/ or covering letter, etc.
Some do and some don't
Old Jul 25th 2015, 10:17 pm

No, it won't look dodgy. Probably won't even realize it's the same person.

Rene