Reload this Page >

Finally got there!

Finally got there!

Old Jul 11th 2004, 5:36 pm
Forum Regular

Expat_Wannabe is on a distinguished road
Default Finally got there!

Hi all!

Been a long time since I wrote a message on the board, but at last I have good news....I've been offered a job in LA starting as soon as my J1 visa is processed and its the perfect position and almost double my UK salary! It's been a long two and a half years but got there in the end (well almost there, just praying nothing will go wrong with the visa app).

Now I just have to try and figure out all the logistics of a 5000 mile move, so am going to trawl through old posts before i start my barrage of questions!

In the meantime any advice on how to ensure the J1 visa is processed without any problems would be wonderful!
Old Jul 11th 2004, 6:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finally got there!

Originally posted by Expat_Wannabe
Hi all!

Been a long time since I wrote a message on the board, but at last I have good news....I've been offered a job in LA starting as soon as my J1 visa is processed and its the perfect position and almost double my UK salary! It's been a long two and a half years but got there in the end (well almost there, just praying nothing will go wrong with the visa app).

Now I just have to try and figure out all the logistics of a 5000 mile move, so am going to trawl through old posts before i start my barrage of questions!

In the meantime any advice on how to ensure the J1 visa is processed without any problems would be wonderful!
Hey you! That's great news - congrats! I am sure everyone will be glad to help you with any questions

I'm assuming as we talked before about CIEE that that is who you are going through. I have no clue what their timescale is right now but I would just make sure that you add maybe a week or 2 onto whatever they tell you when you are giving your employer a start date. Also, if you have any problems with them - PM me, I have the name of the head person there that can get things moving faster if need be.

The main issue in getting the J1 for PCT is the training plan. I had to resubmit mine several times until frankly it looked like I was running the company - if your employer is familiar with this then maybe they will know what they are looking for, if not they place a lot of emphasis on supervision and how you will progress during the period, just be as detailed as possible and dont panic if they turn it down the first couple of times - just keep resubmitting until they accept it. London may accept it the first time and it then goes to Boston for approval - they are the sticky ones but they always approve it in the end

One thing I would point out is that when you pay the fee up front, as you know it includes insurance. What they dont tell you is that it is crap. It doesnt even cover normal doctors visits - so be aware of that - and if you had any kind of claim, they only cover you for 60 days that you need medication etc - hopefully of course you wont need it - but just be aware that it basically isn't worth the paper its written on - you might want to find out if your employer has a plan you can contribute to or something.

Once you get your DS2019 back from Boston, you can then call the Embassy for your interview and they'll return your passport after that.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!
Old Jul 11th 2004, 8:08 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Lesley!
I remember all the troubles you had with your visa, so am expecting it to be hard work! I'm hoping that as I'm working in London the fact that I will be able to go in to the office and bug them that I can iron any problems out a bit more quickly!
I was really sorry to read about all the troubles you've had since you got out there, seems to have been a bit of a rollercoaster! How are you now? Have you heard anymore about your medical insurance?
Old Jul 12th 2004, 12:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Lesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Lesley!
I remember all the troubles you had with your visa, so am expecting it to be hard work! I'm hoping that as I'm working in London the fact that I will be able to go in to the office and bug them that I can iron any problems out a bit more quickly!
I was really sorry to read about all the troubles you've had since you got out there, seems to have been a bit of a rollercoaster! How are you now? Have you heard anymore about your medical insurance?
Well the fact that you are so close to them should certainly help! Half the battle with me was that I could never get to speak to anyone on the phone as they were always unavailable! What are you going to be doing out there, and how long are you going for? The time will fly by now, and before you know it you'll be out here

I'm doing fine. Had a great weekend, first in a while with no weird tingly numb things going on so, went riding yesterday and today we took a boat out, went swimming an sunbathed My friend's 4 yo had her first boating experience and I think it will be her last - she was not impressed when the ducks got so close to us LOL.

Haven't heard any more about the insurance, except that the hospital are still billing them and they are still debating it all - my boss is helping me big time there - however the billing dept at the hospital have told me that if I am paying myself they will send me a revised (and reduced) bill as the rates are different for individuals and insurance companies apparently, and they have really been pretty good - the guy I've been seeing's nurse even said to me we are not going to turn you away just because you or your insurance cant/wont pay. I go back on Wednesday to talk to the neurologist and to make an appt for the spinal tap thing - its looking like they are possibly might pay up until all the tests are completed but not for the drugs etc - so here's hoping It's looking pretty positive too for getting on the Avonex programme at a much reduced cost, it's amazing what's available out there if you really try
Old Jul 12th 2004, 5:48 am
BE Enthusiast

suebo is on a distinguished road

Well congrats on getting offered the job.

You may want to check out the price of housing in LA. I don't know what your salary was in UK, but you are probably going to need atleast twice as much, if not more.

Cheers
Old Jul 12th 2004, 3:03 pm

syllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by suebo
You may want to check out the price of housing in LA.
House prices are definitely not cheap in southern California at the moment...I wish I'd taken the plunge a few years ago and bought a place while they were still cheap (and I use that term pretty loosely).

Which part of LA are you going to be working in?
Old Jul 12th 2004, 5:40 pm
Forum Regular

I'll be working in Downtown, but will definitely be living somewhere else, maybe Pasadena. I'm not too worried about the cost of renting, as I live in London now, so am used to high rents! Also I'm moving in with some friends out there, so won't be forking out for a one bedroom or studio.
Old Jul 13th 2004, 2:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finally got there!

Hi all!

Welcome to California!
Old Jul 14th 2004, 8:47 am
Forum Regular

Thanks! Where abouts are you in California? I got my official offer letter this morning and can barely contain my excitement at work! Now on with the slog of getting the visa! Have the references and my part filled out.
Also found a deal at Sainsbury's whereby you buy Julio & Galli-whats-it wine and get a free flight to America!!! You have to pay for the taxes and a £60 supplement for the West coast (and the box of wine of course!), but still gets you a flight for around £150!
Old Jul 14th 2004, 1:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks! Where abouts are you in California? I got my official offer letter this morning and can barely contain my excitement at work! Now on with the slog of getting the visa! Have the references and my part filled out.
Also found a deal at Sainsbury's whereby you buy Julio & Galli-whats-it wine and get a free flight to America!!! You have to pay for the taxes and a £60 supplement for the West coast (and the box of wine of course!), but still gets you a flight for around £150!
Peninsular area.