Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

feeling the heat in Florida

feeling the heat in Florida

Old Nov 15th 2009, 10:31 pm
Forum Regular

scliffe is just really nicescliffe is just really nicescliffe is just really nicescliffe is just really nicescliffe is just really nicescliffe is just really nicescliffe is just really nicescliffe is just really nicescliffe is just really nicescliffe is just really nicescliffe is just really nice
Default feeling the heat in Florida

My girlfiend and I are having a discussion on what it would be like to live in Florida. Her concerns is the heat and humidity. Can anyone comment on what the summer is like in Florida, Humidity and mosquitoes and any other endurance tests you face with the climate
Thanks
Old Nov 15th 2009, 10:47 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: feeling the heat in Florida

Heat and humidity so high you look like you just stepped out of the shower. Very bad for hair and makeup.
Old Nov 15th 2009, 10:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

helwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scliffe
My girlfiend and I are having a discussion on what it would be like to live in Florida. Her concerns is the heat and humidity. Can anyone comment on what the summer is like in Florida, Humidity and mosquitoes and any other endurance tests you face with the climate
Thanks
The temperature and humidity are such that between the months of March and October it is virtually impossible to do anything outdoors in any level of comfort.
Old Nov 15th 2009, 11:06 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
For playing tennis or running its lousy
an early morning round of golf is not bad

For being a lazy bastard retiree its great

You have to get out of european ways of hairdos and makeup
and the only clothes you have are t-shirts and short but thats for living here

To visit ...bring few clothes...drink massive amount of water every day and do thing slowly .. to aoid mozzies keep away from still water
Old Nov 15th 2009, 11:07 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Can anyone comment on what the summer is like in Florida
Well, they get a lot of hurricanes there... something that I'm guessing you don't get in BC.

Ian
Old Nov 15th 2009, 11:44 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Is your GF a USC?
Old Nov 16th 2009, 2:05 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Well, they get a lot of hurricanes there... something that I'm guessing you don't get in BC.

Ian
This year not even one lousy storm
not even a sniff at a hurricane
Old Nov 16th 2009, 2:11 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Nov 15th, spent very nice day at the beach 9.30 am - 5.0 pm. Never too hot or too humid for us, the closer to the beach, the more pleasant it is. Easier to stay cool, then to stay warm.
Reg. Frank R.
Old Nov 16th 2009, 3:37 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
This year not even one lousy storm
not even a sniff at a hurricane

Probably means next year will be bad.
Old Nov 16th 2009, 9:01 am
Irritant

merz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud of

Thanks
July, August and September are hellishly humid, as others have said. Sweaty Betty and pasted down hair! The mozzies are ferocious if your skin is the type that gets bitten (like mine).

Another thing is the humidity really affects my asthma, so take that into account if either of you suffer.

The storms are quite dramatic, and some times when it rains in the afternoon..it REALLY rains so hard it can give you bruises!

But when you live there, you take all that into account and use a lot of air conditioning and mozzie nets/spray and hurricane parties! Early morning or late evening jogs and outdoor work.

However, in almost all the other months of the year it can be the most beautiful, breezy hot perfect weather I have ever encountered.

Looking out at my lovely garden in London (that I managed to use 5 days this year) at the storms nearly breaking my trees right now, I think I know where I would rather be....

Merz
Old Nov 16th 2009, 12:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

DeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond repute

Florida gets hot, but you learn to cope with it. I remember last September when I was down Dadeland in Miami, I sweated like a mofo - had to go to the nearest KFC to get a gallon of drink (well not literally a gallon, but close!). Some local youths decided to look at me like I was a freak, shirt soaked through like I jusy had a fight with a fireman's hose. This only happened about once or twice. After these episodes your body seems to get used to it and sweat a bit less.
Old Nov 16th 2009, 2:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeanUK2US
Florida gets hot, but you learn to cope with it. I remember last September when I was down Dadeland in Miami, I sweated like a mofo - had to go to the nearest KFC to get a gallon of drink (well not literally a gallon, but close!). Some local youths decided to look at me like I was a freak, shirt soaked through like I jusy had a fight with a fireman's hose. This only happened about once or twice. After these episodes your body seems to get used to it and sweat a bit less.

What he said. You get used to it.

The worst part is getting out the shower in summer, getting dressed, and then realising you're soaked in sweat before you've even left the house.
Old Nov 16th 2009, 4:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose it probably depends on your outlook, and maybe even what you do for a living. I work in an airconned office, so no worries there. When I'm not working, I'm suitably dressed (i.e. shorts and flip flops) so no real probs there either, you just get used to it. Besides, plenty of lakes/oceans/swimming pools to jump into if it gets too hot, so thats handy!

However, if I was a roofer or something, I'd probably not be too impressed....
Old Nov 16th 2009, 5:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan725
I suppose it probably depends on your outlook, and maybe even what you do for a living. I work in an airconned office, so no worries there. When I'm not working, I'm suitably dressed (i.e. shorts and flip flops) so no real probs there either, you just get used to it. Besides, plenty of lakes/oceans/swimming pools to jump into if it gets too hot, so thats handy!

However, if I was a roofer or something, I'd probably not be too impressed....
You ever find any gators or Crocs in those lakes?
Old Nov 16th 2009, 5:21 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

You get used to it just dont behave like a mad dog and stay out of the midday sun.

You can work outside it's not that bad as long as you keep your fluids up Gatorade is great for that.

I used to work outside most days I was OK. I did once dig a pit 4'x4'x8' and managed to lose 4 inches off my waist whilst working in shorts and a pair of boots.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.